aaa custom leads for a project studio - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: custom leads for a project studio

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             08-Sep-04  @  03:17 AM   -   custom leads for a project studio

Calamitus69

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm wiring up my new outboard gear pretty soon and want some advice about choosing cable and connectors. I am on a serious budget and am just looking for something roughly equivalent to Hosa quality. The local shop has a 1000' spool of West Penn WP291-GY, here's a link with product specs.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/index.php/manufacturers_id/548

It has about 75% left on the spool and they said they'd take $60 US for it. It seems suitable for recording to me.

For connectors, I've found what looks like a good deal here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-300

I was thinking about just getting a bunch of TS and a few TRS plugs to make all the snakes, leads and insert cables. All of my outputs and inputs are unbalanced except for the mixer (which doesn't mean anything since my gear is unbalanced).

I can give more details about my setup if needed, but for now I just want some opinions... can I use this stuff to make suitable leads? I've done research and I know about neutrik, canare, mogami, etc... but I can spend about $100 on all of that and have all the cables I need plus a quite a bit for expansion. What do you think?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             08-Sep-04  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

mcc>

Link?: Link

i don't know much about cables so i say go for it.
get that studio up and running.

Message 3/10             08-Sep-04  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, installation cable like that does the job fine, and it's cheaper because it's not so flexible/thinner, but IS specificaly designed for wiring permenant installations - if you cluster mebbe 20 strands into a loom using cable-straps positioned perhaps every 10cm you can still flex the whole loom round corners/angles ok, but the whole loom is nice and thin - go for it, you can use it for returns & sends, inserts, buss looms etc etc...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/10             08-Sep-04  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

Calamitus69

Thanks a lot, I'm going to go ahead with it.

Message 5/10             08-Sep-04  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

Calamitus69

I still have a few more questions that have been bugging me, before I get started -

1. Are there any disadvantages to using these cheaper connectors over something more well established like neutrik (other than build quality and durability)? I'm not going to be yanking them in and out all the time... and I can't think of any reason why they would make any less of a good connection. I just can't see spending 10 times more on a single plug when I wouldn't even be able to hear a difference.

2. Right now I want to just use TS plugs for all unbalanced connections (soundcard I/O, sampler), but should I make balanced looms anyway for if and when I upgrade?

3. Silver solder... is it necessary?

4. Since I want to wire everything to a patchbay eventually, should I just do it that way to start out?

Message 6/10             09-Sep-04  @  04:15 AM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

mcc>

1. you answered your own question

2. no

3. get the good solder

4. nope...i still don't hear any music.

Message 7/10             09-Sep-04  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

k

hardwiring is preferable where possible (patchbays etc), cheaper plugs are ok if they're just left in place

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/10             09-Sep-04  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

Calamitus69

Right on, thanks again!

Message 9/10             09-Sep-04  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

k

just check each plug before using it - remove the outer shell and try and rotate the center tip of the pin, if it rotates, then it's not rivetted properly - chuck it and use another, check each one like that - after soldering wipe them all with alchohol before inserting to remove grease

Message 10/10             09-Sep-04  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: custom leads for a project studio

xoxos

i would spring for heads that unscrew, if you're looking at budget ones with slidy rubber sleeves or something.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)