aaa See who knows - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: See who knows

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             27-Feb-04  @  11:54 PM   -   See who knows

Hazmatt

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CABL8/qid=1077925748//ref=pd_ka_1/103-7396001-5976604?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

In this link is Sandra collins new CD. I dont know how to bring up the exact track link

but on the track Junkie-XL reshurc there is a deep bass that starts to kick in very overdriven but very clean.

I would like to know how this was done, any ideas from the track wizards on here would

be greatly appreciated! THANKs in advance.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             28-Feb-04  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: See who knows

Hazmatt

noone? =(

Message 3/10             28-Feb-04  @  03:51 PM   -   RE: See who knows

k

you mean the intro bassline?

Message 4/10             28-Feb-04  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: See who knows

Hazmatt

Thanks k, yes the synth bassline..you have any idea how to do that? Sounds overdriven but very clear..

Message 5/10             28-Feb-04  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: See who knows

psylichon

Link?: Link

It sounds like pulse width modulation to me. Probably set mod wheel to control pulse width on 3 square waves, slightly detuned. If you set mod to shift the pulse width of each osc in different directions and amounts, you will get a fat chorusing sound and a different set of harmonics at the full reach of the mod. Set the pulse width of the 3 oscs so they sound good at zero mod, and set their mod depth so they sound good at full mod, and chances are they will sound good on their journey, too ;)

Also, use the same controller (mod wheel) to open up a lowpass filter a bit

Message 6/10             29-Feb-04  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: See who knows

Hazmatt

Good look psy..i'll try that. You da man.

Message 7/10             29-Feb-04  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: See who knows

Grind

I haven't heard the track yet but the type of bass sound you describe is generally created by overdriving the bass using a distortion box or plug-in and then low-pass filtering it to clean it up again. Guitar amp simulators are good for this too, and you can also try layering a clean and a dirty sound to combine the desired characteristics of both. For example, filtered, distorted bass layered with simple sine-wave-like clean bass sound.

Message 8/10             29-Feb-04  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: See who knows

tooni

That is some envious bass. Mind me if im wrong man, but sounds as though 2 bass lines are used side by side. One via synth maybe tuned as Psy stated, and the other a less filtered bass maybe overdriven as grind stated. i'm gonna try to replicate it.
Get back to you. cheers.

Message 9/10             01-Mar-04  @  08:20 AM   -   RE: See who knows

k

eh?... pretty much every damned synth I've owned has that sort of sound as a preset.

it's similar to that growl bass part in Jaxx (Where's your head at) etc

Message 10/10             01-Mar-04  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: See who knows

mandylion

I downloaded the track and listened. I think there are 3 different elements: 1. Normal deep bass sound whitch you can get out from any synth. 2. Slowly pulsating/breathing synth sound (with quite slow amplitude attack time) that has gone through some sort of bit crusher effect (you can also hear this effect in the end of the track applied to the speech sample). It has also very wide stereo spread effect and not much of bass..... it starts in a low voice and maybe some hi frequencies sucked away a bit... then volume of this sound rises slowly and the sound becomes more clear (low-pass filter opens) 3. Maybe a distorted/overdriven bass sound but all the bass sucked away (EQ or hi-pass filter).... this sound comes about once in a second every time when the sound number 2 (the pulsating synth I mentioned) fades quickly away. (wow meny brackets in this post)

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)