aaa PRoblem mixing-pls advise! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             29-Sep-98  @  03:13 PM   -   PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

celtic_982yahoo.com

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was trying to mix down to 2 tracks (audio). MAster. But only the MIDI tracks would mix down the audio wouldn't? Do wav.s not mix down?????

I got my drums on audio 3+4, vocals trk 6&7, and the rest is MIDI.

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             29-Sep-98  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

melon

er, am I missing something ? How can you mixdown midi ???

Message 3/11             29-Sep-98  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

skul

we need a lot more information on your setup to help you. right now it's pretty much a mystery as to what you were doing/ are using.

Message 4/11             29-Sep-98  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

celtic

Basically I think to record to CD R you need to make a file right?
So you need to mix everything down to an audio track (wav) is that correct?

Usually as my midi is playing I can record it ona audio trk. No problem, the thing is as I try to mix all the tracks down to 2 audio tracks I only hear the midi instruments, not the audio tracks, does thjis make sense???

Message 5/11             29-Sep-98  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

celtic

Me again, put it this way.... \
SAy you have a drums in audio on trks 3&4, vocals in audio on trks 6&7, then MIDI tracks 10,11,12 have a bass line
and other sounds. How do ya mix that down to make a master? (Don't ya have to make a WAv. file?)Or do ya just record it as it is to a DAT?????

Message 6/11             29-Sep-98  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

skul

let's try this again... what program are you using? what gear are you using? how is it all set up? (i.e. what cables are routed to what, etc.).

Message 7/11             29-Sep-98  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

nomad

so what you want to do is render it all to a wav file,
and then burn this onto a cdr. you need to record
all of the midi stuff onto an audio track (you can
split it up if it works out better). now everything
is audio, and you don't do the midi anymore. unfortunately
i have heard many times that this is the only way
for things like cakewalk audio and cubase.

a simpler way might be to get a cheap sampler. since
you're using a pc i'll recommend the cheapest of the
cheap: a turtle beach maui. you can put 8 megs in it,
which isn't huge but hopefully is enough. a maui + 8megs
will cost about $80 (they may still be blowing out
the base maui for $40, otherwise find one used for cheap).
the tropez is the same card + audio, if you can find
that cheap it takes 12 megs. anyway, move your
audio from the sequencer into the maui/tropez, and it's
now midi-triggerable. then record everything all in
one step....

Message 8/11             30-Sep-98  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

buggo

i think i see the problem...i think he's using internal sounds in the soundcard when he refers to MIDI...

i always used to get confused by this; you gotta admit it is confusing as fuck...when you get a "midifile" off the web, most people think GM, media player type shit that plays off the sound card's GM set...not as a protocol for controlling instruments (took me the longest time to figure it out...)

if that's the case, i'd reccomend just recording all the MIDI tracks to individual audio tracks and mixing everything in the audio domain. if you're using external MIDI devices (synths etc); it's all audio anyway...

Message 9/11             30-Sep-98  @  06:31 AM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

celtic

Think I got it??....

My MIDI gear playing is my XP-50 and VIRUS. These play along with my audio tracks.
so I guess your all saying I have to record the midi to audio thenn I can I burn it on CD or record to DAT, right.

I thought I could just record straight to a DAT or CD by just recording (mixing) it as I hear it. Straight from audio tracks and the MIDI from VIRUS and XP-50 as it plays along.

End result is make all midi audio right??
thanks for your input on this

Message 10/11             01-Oct-98  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: PRoblem mixing-pls advise!

buggo

whaaa???

wait a sec...if you're using external midi devices and your computer...you mean the software actually won't play audio and transmit MIDI at the same time?

or on a simpler note: i assume you've got yer computer on one (or 2) channels of your mixer, right? if not, you've gotta do that...then it's just another instrument on the board...then you take the final stereo out to DAT or whatever. if you just try the "mix down" option in your audio editor/sequencer proggie, obviously it won't record the audio from your synths that you sequenced via MIDI because you need to get it into your computer as a wave file! if you're recording the master mix to your PC as well, just hook up all the devices to the mixer and record the main stereo out to the soundcard as it all plays back. hmm..

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)