aaa Buying 2'nd hand equipment. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             11-Sep-98  @  11:17 AM   -   Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

Richie

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Something I have'nt done before is buy 2'nd hand equipment from a private sale using the good old british postal system. I am about to buy a sampler and need to get one as cheap as possible so it looks like buying privately.

Thing is I could use some tips about what to look out for, how would I go about getting the equipment to me if I can't pick it up? What If I can't get to see the stuff beforehand, do you have to rely on the seller's honesty?

Like I said, I have'nt done this sort of thing before. So any tips would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,

Richie.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             11-Sep-98  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

JAWA

I would nevernevernevernever buy privatley without seeing/hearing it work....... think about it man, there are a lot of shitheads out there and when they say there's nothing wrong with it, they may be lying.....

Message 3/11             11-Sep-98  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

skul

totally agree with JAWA. even then, looking/hearing it you need to really check everything, cos it's possible that it's fucked but only shows it when you go into 'menu X' and select 'option Y'. best to go to the guy's studio and have him show you something he's done with it, then ask a ton of questions about operation (stuff that you would be doing with it) whilst playing around with it.

Message 4/11             11-Sep-98  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

Richie

Yeah, that does make sense, looks like I'll have to get ready for trips down to London then. At least thats where all the Loot adverts seem to be.

Cheers guys.

Message 5/11             11-Sep-98  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

nomad

Link?:  Link

well I've never done anything in the UK, but
I've never bought anything new (except cables....heh....),
everything used, and mostly from people over the net.
i haven't had any transactions go bad yet. most people
i don't think are out to screw you, although there
are some.

you have to use your head. esp. if there's a lot of
money involved, make sure you talk to the guy on the phone
before you send any money. usually this is enough to
tell if they are being straight with you or are trying
to pull a fast one. don't get too into it and let
the fact that it's a good deal cloud your judgment.

if you can, you could try COD (cash on delivery), you
can't guarantee what's in the box but at least you
don't pay anything until there is SOMETHING on your
doorstep. I usually prepay though, and like i said,
i've never had a problem.....

Message 6/11             11-Sep-98  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

JAWA

On the otherhand i would never agree to COD if i was the seller....... think about it now you've just sent this sampler/ keyboard/ machine gun away to trinidad (or wherever) and you're hoping that they, being so good natured, send you the money...... hahaha.....

Message 7/11             11-Sep-98  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

buggo

well that's not quite how it works...i just got my 1604 in the mail (fuckin love it!!) and the way it works is you give the postal guy a check (made out to the sender) for the amount agreed upon, and he gives you the box. It's totally safe for the seller but not necessarily for the buyer. But as someone mentioned above, most people are just out there to buy and sell gear legitimately, so just use yer head, common sense etc and choose wisely!!

(on a totally different note...I can't see! i'm also drooling...I went in this morning to get my wisdom teeth taken out (FUCKIN OUCH) and they put me out and numbed me up six ways to sunday...and now I have no muscular control over my lower lip, plus they managed to lose a contact lens of mine (dunno how??) so i am an extremely unhappy boy. wah.)

Message 8/11             12-Sep-98  @  02:23 AM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

ratfink

that wasn't a second hand lens was it?

Message 9/11             12-Sep-98  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

buggo

'fraid it was. I got it from some guy on the street for a nickel.

Message 10/11             12-Sep-98  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: Buying 2'nd hand equipment.

Purple Haze

When buying COD and the postman arrives, you could always quickly open the box to see that whatever you bought really is in there and not just some bricks or something. Ofcourse, I don't think he (or she) would appreciate it if you would want to test everything before handing over the check.
Also, COD for as far as I know is only possible when buying something from someone in the country you live in.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)