aaa Shelf life of monitors - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Shelf life of monitors

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             18-Mar-04  @  09:50 AM   -   Shelf life of monitors

dingostema

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

how long would a pair of monitors be likely to last within a studio environment. I appreciate that much depends on how much they are used daily and how far they are pushed but would any of you guys consider buying a second hand pair of monitors that were say 7 years old?

Cheers

Dingo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             18-Mar-04  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

k

Link?:  No link

depends - like a car - how they've been used - I have an old pair of monitors which were used only for a hi-fi - fantastic speakers.

but if they've been thrashed to death that's another matter - listen to them I guess is the only answer. Perhaps they've only had one previous owner who was the local Vicar, or perhaps they were owned by a 19 year old who spent every weekend doing donuts with them round the local Halfords carpark

lol

Message 3/11             18-Mar-04  @  10:38 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

k

oh... I guess it depends what model they are - if they are say larger ones and used in a flat with neighbours etc you'd have to REALLY play them ing loud to wear them down, also what amp they were used with could contribute I guess.

Message 4/11             18-Mar-04  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

dingostema

yup, these are Genelec 1032a's, 7 years old. Difficult to know how hard they have been pushed.

Dingo

Also K, can you email you address to me and I'll send you a SAE for the Hoonie lead?

Message 5/11             19-Mar-04  @  01:12 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Another factor to consider is the actual construction of the driver in the monitor and the environment it is used in. For example Meyer HD-1's use a foam surround. In a damp environment, like Hawaii (unless the studio is running a dehumidifier, which most studios do not) the air will age the foam quickly and givie it dry rot in five to eight years. JBL 1140's use a rubber coated cloth. That'll stand up much better, but it might not have as good a response. The same goes for Mackies and Genelecs, with the polymer cones and rubber surrounds...sit them in a studio that has a blacklight (some do) and it'll age those things fast. That's not taking into account, as already mentioned, who they have been used by, and for what purpose? Workhorses? Mastering? What style? Which amps, unless self powered? Did they see a lot of square waves and gnarly ass distorted tones up loud, or were they used by some old audiophile for listening to classical, quietly? All that stuff adds up. Think about it when making your choices. Good luck.

Ape

Message 6/11             29-Mar-04  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

catastrophic

i used (thrashed) a set of cheap sh!t akai 15watt stero speakers with a 20 watt tandys amp for at least 4 years not a problem then upgraded the amp to a 150 per side mosfett gave em a new lease on life , then let my g/f loose in my studio one rainy day and pop there they go ,

speakers will last 4eva as long as u keep ya missis away

Message 7/11             29-Mar-04  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

Pongoid

not a problem, you say? Did you ever go test those mixes on a REALLY nice set of high end monitors? Your idea of 'not a problem' might change quickly. I was looking at these monitors yesterday and they had a spec of +/-3db. And they were showing it off like they were proud of it. Let me give you a quick heads up: +/-3db is shite for accuracy.

Here's to give you an idea of +/-3db. Put any tune you like into your favorite editing program, and listen to it. Tehn, go back and slap an EQ on it, and dial 110hz down by 3db. Better yet, take your master and dial that down by -3db. Now listen. That's how far off speakers that spec a +/-3db are on ANY frequency ant any time. Now if that area that it's off is less than a quarter of an octave, you probably won't notice it, but wider than that and now you've got noticeable coloration. +/-3db doesn't look like a lot on paper, and manufacturers try to play it off that it's not much, but just mess around with an EQ in your editor and find out how much 3db really is. You'll probably get a little tougher on your salespeople, and your specs.

Ape

Message 8/11             14-Apr-04  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

dingostema

Hey guys,

Benn offered a pair of Mackie HR824's for £560, The rub is that they are 3 years old and have only been used in a small home studio setup. They guy says they have been well treated and havent been thrashed (but I guess anyone would say that!!!). Infact the guy said 'I do a lot of jazz type music - a lot of live stuff, so I tend not to monitor that loud! '

What to do eh? The price is great and the chap seems genuine enough and I CAN hear em before I buy em, but near on £600 is a lot of dosh for something that potentially may have some intermittent problems and has no warranty.

Cheers

Dingo

Message 9/11             14-Apr-04  @  11:52 AM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

stuff

That's pretty cheap where i come from - i often see prices of around £1000 for second hand HR824's. :/

Message 10/11             14-Apr-04  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Shelf life of monitors

milan

go and hear them innit! that way you can also see the geezer and his studio and find out what kinda music he does... to be honest, i doubt anyone would be able to drive mackies full on in a "small home studio" for 3 years without getting evicted first :P

Stuff... 824's go for about a 1k new, thats a joke mate.

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)