aaa Ultimate chaos - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Ultimate chaos

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             08-Oct-03  @  04:51 AM   -   Ultimate chaos

Matt

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Has anyone ever heard of a plug-in like this: A virtual patchbay whereby all routing is continuously variable based off of user-specified parameters (volume, filter, pitch, etc) of the incoming audio. For example, a single audio stream could be split up into 3 different volume ranges and routed to 3 different effects loops...Lets say everything below -60 dB is sent to a distortion unit, everything between -60 and -40 is sent to an echo unit, and everything above -40 dB is sent to a ring modulator. Does this sound like anything you have seen? I think it would be a great way to creatively process live sound without the need for someone twiddling knobs. Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             08-Oct-03  @  06:05 AM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

mcc>

no need to do anything....really.

that would indeed be creative.

Message 3/11             08-Oct-03  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

Matt

I was just thinking about this some more...do you think it would be possible to do this in a program like Reaktor?

Message 4/11             09-Oct-03  @  12:22 PM     Edit: 09-Oct-03  |  12:25 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

§ï†ÅR

Link?: Link

There's probably a way to build something like this in Reaktor. I've never built an ensemble but I imagine it's possible. If you already own Reaktor give it a shot. I wouldn't recommend buying it only for that reason cuz you might find out you can't do what you want. If it's possible there are probably already ensembles and filters that come with it or user made that will do what you want. If you're using Reaktor or any synth through a good sequencer like Sonar for example you could set it up there. Course none of what I just said is very helpful but hey.

Anything over 40db goes to ring modulation? Ouch my ears  

Message 5/11             09-Oct-03  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

psylichon

I'm willing to bet that such a construction will not sound quite as interesting as you think it might.

Message 6/11             09-Oct-03  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

milan

yeah, what i was thinking  

but if you make it work on different *frequency* bands, that can be interesting. and yes, i think there should be few such things out there, tho i only ever saw few analog filters for modular synths whoch do frequency dependant processing :/

Message 7/11             09-Oct-03  @  04:51 PM     Edit: 09-Oct-03  |  04:52 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

craig

I don't think it'd be all that interesting either, but I'm pretty sure you cuold build it in the Nord Modular and therefore, I'd expect that you could do this with reaktor.

What'd probably be more interesting is if you used bandpass filters and sent different parts of the spectrum to different processing. You could then use modulation to affect the mix of which band goes to which process and what amount... Then mix it all back together at the end.

-Craig

Message 8/11             09-Oct-03  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

craig

And maybe I'll steal Milan's idea while I'm at it.

Pays to read the whole topic  

Message 9/11             09-Oct-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

Matt

You didn't read the original post carefully enough......the parameters would not neccesarily be confined to volume. That was just an arbitrary example. Ideally, it would be able to continuously reroute patching based off of virtually any sound characteristic.
Thanks for the responses

Message 10/11             09-Oct-03  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: Ultimate chaos

craig

No, I caught that, but I'm still not sure how many "characteristics" of a sound would be useful for self-modulation...

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)