aaa helpful tip re: aa batteries - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: helpful tip re: aa batteries

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             31-Dec-03  @  06:36 PM   -   helpful tip re: aa batteries

clayev2k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

this is probably true of any battery but i've discovered that my aa batteries
are still full of ample juice to power my small flashlights>
even when they lack sufficient power to still drive my digital camera.
and since i require a flashlight to see my gas gauge in my truck at night.....their usefulness is no longer in question. i also use these smaller flashlights to see behind my gear at night when i need to repatch cables etc.
so don't throw those batteries away unless you really love giving more money than you need to>
to those nice power & energy companies.

i'd use a candle but my driver's-side window doesn't close all the way.
and lighting it and steering while the wind blows in....well..it's just too much hassle.

oh....my emoticons just walked through the door!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             01-Jan-04  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

xoxos

some of the larger ones work when you run out of coke cans filled with sand.. ocurse, you need a wider belt for them so they don't slip out.

Message 3/12             01-Jan-04  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

RagnarOk

Dunno, I prefer to use accumulators. Too much toxic waste in those batteries to just throw away them ya know? Also, portable mp3/CD players can operate hours with rechargeable batteries after the digital camera said they're empty.

Message 4/12             01-Jan-04  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

milan

we used candles last night! power ran out right after midnight  

Message 5/12             02-Jan-04  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

mcc>

Link?:  No link

i guess what few people realize is that the candle wasn't invented until about...

..well...i forget but it was much later than one would imagine.
i think it was like the 1600s and all light before then was derived from gas/oil torches...oil lamps....and fireplaces and bonfires.
and since wood and oil were such desperately expensive commodities....
90 percent of everybody knew ONLY darkness once it got dark. it wasn't like these movies of old which are well-lit hollywood robin hood scenes.
it was totally dark at night or very very dark if the moon was friendly.
of course you could gather round the village fire if you wanted to stand around the cold at night and risk being robbed on the way home.

anyway...candles......like midi-sequencers....cool things definitely.

Message 6/12             02-Jan-04  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

Pongoid

I dunno, people have been using fireplaces, butter lamps, torches, and braziers for illumination since a LOT earlier than the 1600s. Before 1600 I have a very hard time believing that most woods were anything other than free, save for a that of a few special/sacred trees. I think you're pulling figures out of your ass.

Ape

Message 7/12             02-Jan-04  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

mcc>

you're right ape.....torches and oil-lamps go waaaay back....and fireplaces.....which were a huge cause of emphysema and shortened life-expentancy.

it wasn't the candle that was invented til some much-later century>
....and if i can look it up again i will.
there was an intriguing article in national geographic which i read last year detailing it's arrival and it's subsequent effect on man's lifestyle and consciousness.
they were VERY much a luxury in a way that's difficult for us to imagine today.
a man with a candle....well....it's like wow.... what an old 2mb pc used to be back in the day.
a very big deal.

i'll see if i can't locate that piece...it was an intriguing read as the author did a good job describing what it was kind of like to experience a medieval night.

but out my ass....as always. good to see ya round pongoid.

Message 8/12             02-Jan-04  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

mcc>

well...i can't find the mag and national geographic has a crap archive-system
which cannot research article by subject.
only by issue...der.

but i found this at smith college....candles; invention. not nearly as cool as the article i mentioned earlier.

apparently the first flammable wicked-devices came even before christ...and mentioned in the bible. but we wouldn't call them candles in the conventional sense.
the first wax-dipped devices appeared in the 1600's.
these were easy to store and transport....clean.
unlike some string with animal lard hanging all over it.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=candles%3B+invention&page
=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26amp%3
BrequestId%3D971df95b509df597%26amp%3BclickedItemRank%3D3%26amp
%3BuserQuery%3Dcandles%253B%2Binvention%26amp%3
BclickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.smith.edu%252Fhsc%252F
museum%252Fancient_inventions%252Fcandles2.html%26amp%3Binvocation
Type%3D-%26amp%3BfromPage%3DNSCPIndex&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2
Fwww.smith.edu%2Fhsc%2Fmuseum%2Fancient_inventions%2F
candles2.html

Message 9/12             02-Jan-04  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

xoxos

at arcosanti, 'the hill' separates the 'camp' dwellings from the haute 'site' dwellings.. mode of the place is to have new groups of workshoppers every month.. mostly architecture students.

of course, the advice was to take a flashlight, since the road on the hill was a dirt track with boulders popping out all over the place, and we all know what kinds of difficulties morons run into when they aren't faced with perfectly flat terrain.

i used to RUN down that hill, no moon. hiked miles through the desert hills, cactus, cliffs, no moon.

it just used to kill me to hear some horrible couple from new york or something 'now, dear,' (with incredible worst nasal tone) floundering about with their poison 'contrast-blindness' devices.

you want to go on about the woman with the dogs on the bike path.. no moon.. no light.. so smartass decides she's going to show me, and walks on the left side of the path towards me. i go around her.

she puts lights on all the dogs, and then she yells at me "i put lights on all the dogs"

i am not your fucking dog. go fuck yourself you poison bitch of hell. "i put lights on all the dogs" is that like some ultimate declaration of worth?

Message 10/12             02-Jan-04  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: helpful tip re: aa batteries

xoxos

oh - prolly worth adding that if you do use rechargables.. not sure if it works on all of them, but there's some way you can 'blast' them with current when they wear out to make them good again.. find a nice lekkie to ask...

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)