aaa bringing snares in early/late - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: bringing snares in early/late

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             08-Sep-03  @  08:34 PM   -   bringing snares in early/late

pokey

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So, I've heard about people doing this a lot. People say 'move the snare hit 2 ticks forwards...'

What does this actually achieve and is it any good? Does it become sloppy at some point? What else needs moving forward - Can a 4/4 drum loop have the second and 4th kicks moved forward in this manner?

Thanks,

pokey.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             08-Sep-03  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

milan

Link?: Link

dunno mate. i usually only move stuff between the kicks and the snares, and even then its likely to be moved back, not only forward.

Message 3/12             08-Sep-03  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

errata

well, for 4x4 stuff I'd avoid movin the kick/snare at all, the reason 4 on the floor is simple like that is the beat is the ground for the music... holds it down, if you pplay with that ground by shifting the "simple" aspects of the beat, it looses that solid feeling.

Different story with breakbeats, as long as you don't shift so far they're out of time, you can add some urgency to a track with a snare a bit ahead of beat... or swing if you push it forward.

Hats are fair game...

few (if any) drummers play right on time, it's that "human feel... ya know? some electronic music benefits from that feel, but for some, it's the mechanical timing of dance music that makes it so solid, so "danceable"... it all depends on the track and the people listening to it..

There, that was fairly worthless, eh?

e

Message 4/12             08-Sep-03  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

milan

yeah, you know... just a thought on 4x4 styles. i think you can also vary the sense of groove with envelopes of the drum sounds themselves, not only with their timing. eg, if your kicks have a slower attack the beat will seem more laid back than if they had 0ms attack like. or even alternating slow building long kicks with short snappy snares and such. think about it, there's something there i think...

Message 5/12             08-Sep-03  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

errata

right, right... house music often has kicks with a long sustain, while trance reigns in decay and sustain for energy...

Snares can be the same...

shrug.. talkt o folks a lot who make trance and can't understand why their tracks lack energy, or sound like "fast house"... and the secret's all in the decay/sustain times!!!

e

Message 6/12             08-Sep-03  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

milan

ah you see... that sentence that ends with "like" had a "trance" after that, but i erased it for fear of cliche-ing  

but yeah, seems you can do a lot just with ADSR instead of messing with the groove.

Message 7/12             08-Sep-03  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

errata

I know, I know, Genre's! BAH!!!

e

Message 8/12             09-Sep-03  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

pokey

Thanks for your replies! So I guess that it doesn't really work well on 4 on the floor style beats, but is ok for more breaky stuff?

When a shuffle or swing is applied to a drum loop, doesn't it just shift the off beat parts around and leave the 4 beats more or less stationary?

Just wondering...

pokey.

Message 9/12             09-Sep-03  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

errata

all depends on the "shuffle"... are you talking about pre-set quantization types? Some do and some don't!

And when you say "drum-loops" do you mean midi sequenced drum patterns? or audio loops?

Not sure how long you've been at this stuff, or how much you know... so I don't want to assume...

e

Message 10/12             09-Sep-03  @  12:45 AM     Edit: 09-Sep-03  |  12:46 AM   -   RE: bringing snares in early/late

bradelectro

File?:  [image]

[image file]

it shuffles what u want it to shuffle, depending on
which buttons you push! and ur next question would be
'what do i want to shuffle?' ANswer= don't shuffle the
kiks or snares! shuffle the percussive bits, hats, etc.
think of the kiks and snares as the skeleton, the
foundation= solid. but yeah, swing the hell outta
everything else (67% shuffle) and funky beats will
surely ensue.

dude- try this sh*t out for yourself! i mean asking is
cool too but c'mon, try it out! ;-)

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)