aaa PC Studio Gears for Dance Music - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             21-Aug-98  @  06:00 AM   -   PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Please help. The guys that work in the software department at Guitar Center that I went to don't know jack. I have Soundforge 4.5 and ACID, Pinnacle soundcard, Soundforge CD Factory, Hammerhead, Rebirth 2.0, and RubberDuck, and several sample cd-roms. What else do I need to complete my dance studio? New to this. What will I need in order of importance? A sampler, multitrack mixer/recorder, sound module, etc. About the sound module. Will I still need this equipment if I already have a sampler or vice versa? I want to try to stay with software programs as much as possible. The GIGASAMPLER maybe? Is there a sound module software program? I don't want to have to use external equipment. Lastly. What software program can I buy to create freakin melodies(rhythm melodies like a catchy piano melody, synth melodies, etc.). Makin' Waves kinda had a "Fisher Price" toy sound to it. Didn't like it. Thank you.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             21-Aug-98  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Richie

That fisher price sound is what everyone wants.... (Lo fi)

Stick the sample frequency on 44 khz instead of 22 khz

hey presto - instant hi fi quality.

Message 3/13             21-Aug-98  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

Outboard is the way to go..

Message 4/13             21-Aug-98  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

bill

i would agree with sedusa BUT why are you even thinking of using something like gigasampler when your pinnacle card has a sampler on it??? you have a sound module in your computer already - at least 1 if not 2 general midi synths (2 if you have the project studio fitted....) one of which you can customize....

so. if you want all the stuff to stay in the pc. use the pinnacle's sampler - you can put phrases or drums in there - you may have to buy some ram but it's pretty cheap. get a copy of everest (third party software that allows you to edit your sampler....)

consider getting a yamaha db50xg for the module - it'll slot onto your pinnacle card as a dugtherboard and give you wicked drums and other general sounds - read kilo's review of it on the main pages - he loved it.... you'll need a copy of xgedit as well to get the best out of it...

avoid using acid as the main arrangement tool though - because you won't be able to use your midi set up and you might as well have got a cheaper soundcard. get cakewalk to put your stuff together - version 5 will do - and use soundforge to add fx/eq/edit your audio.

that way you've got the pinnacle sampler for drums and loops, the yamaha db50 for more drums and synths, cakewalk for audio like vocals or longer samples. you can do a lot with that. but you'll have more fun if you buy lots of outboard stuff.....

Message 5/13             21-Aug-98  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

hey,

How much worse is the awe 64 gold than the pinnacle as a soundcard sampler?

I've got similar questions, and was considering using the awe as a sampler and gettign a Gina for Full Duplex and multitrack recording.

C

Message 6/13             27-Aug-98  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

bill

the pinnacle sampler is not really very hard to beat - i'm pretty sure that the awe is as good - but the problem with the awe is the noise i think - from what i've heard anyway - but hey, it's got s/pdif out i think, so you could just feed it through your otehr card. that's if the gina has digital, which i can't remember

Message 7/13             27-Aug-98  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Richie

The AWE card stinks...

You put a hard sounding sample in, and what you get out is the sonic equivalent of frilly pink knickers...

Be ok for handbag house though.....

Message 8/13             27-Aug-98  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

I've actually been able to get samples to sound pretty hard through the awe. I'm using awe toy in conjunction with my Peavey 1600x - and it sounds pretty tough.

I miss the days where I was satisfied with Making Waves. It was all so simple then. Last night I told my friend my music making woes, and how I thought I needed this and that piece to complete my setup. His response was:

A poor workman blames his tools.

I'm tired of configuration. On with the makin music.

-Chad Mitchell-

Message 9/13             27-Aug-98  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

Richie !

Yes...

the AWE sucks !!!

the very very old Turtle Beach Maui for example sounds
much better than the "brandnew" Soundblaster Stuff

when you put for example a Phat 9o9er Kick into the
krappy AWE youŽll receive a 7o9er wehre the bass parts
are EQed out of the whole thing

AWE sucks

try to get a EWS64 or Pinnacle (or Layla  ))

Holger

Message 10/13             27-Aug-98  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: PC Studio Gears for Dance Music

J.

MakingWaves version 2 will support midi (export&import, and let you use midi just as a seq.). It's ideal for playing around and making rythm patterns, drum loops and other kinda loops. Use it for a couple of weeks before dismissing it...coz a lot of acid users actually prefer MW over acid (dunno haven't tried acid...8-^] ) [read that a few months ago in a posting here acid vs. mw or something..]

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)