aaa Orchestral compositions on paper... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Orchestral compositions on paper...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             17-Aug-04  @  09:58 AM   -   Orchestral compositions on paper...

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Does anyone here at DT write orchestral / choral/ vocal compositions on paper? The reason I ask is because I do and I'm looking for somebody to exchange compositions to check for mistakes and to learn from.

The easiest way to do this IMO is to write the comp on paper and then put the information into a notation software (e.g. Finale, Overture, etc) and then send the file via e-mail to each other. I'm looking at writing about a simple two phrase period (8 bars) with a cadence at the end of each phrase. Nothing fancy.

I want to write about two a week. If anyone is up to this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

JJ Freqy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             17-Aug-04  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

casparproject

Link?: Link

You mean like voice-leading errors and pll fifths and stuff? I can check it in
terms of baroque harmony if you want, but that's a lot of work considering I'm not
writing any orchestral scores right now... but maybe I should. I'd have to do it in
Logic though, I'm havent done paper and manuscript or finale since I graduated.
If you send me something in Logic format I'll check it out for ya, no probs. That
doesn't mean I'll catch everything though, I've let my classical roots wither
recently. Anyone else?

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 3/13             17-Aug-04  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

JJ Freqy

Hey Peter! Yeah, what I mean is see if there's any mistakes and I can do the same for you or anyone else that wants to do this. The periods I'm looking to do right now is from the boroque to early classical. I just know that I'm still pretty weak on my compositions and that's what I want to do, so... practice makes perfect.

I mean looking for common mistakes in those times and styles like direct 5ths, octaves, augmented intervals (tritones), parallels, etc. I think it's pretty easy to do it in Logic, I have Logic pro so I'll give it a try

JJ Freqy

Message 4/13             17-Aug-04  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

beds

heh, haven't done that since school. what was that about prallel thirds again?

Message 5/13             17-Aug-04  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

casparproject

They're good, it's the 8ves and 4ths and 5ths that are a nono (and 7ths 'can' be
bad if they're not part of a dom 7th). Just email em to me whenever, and I'll
check em at my leisure.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 6/13             17-Aug-04  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

JJ Freqy

Ok Peter I'll send a composition soon. Parallel 4ths are cool as long as
they're not tritones (+4), but there's many rules to remember in this style esp
when in a minor key.

Remember the minor key variations of melodic and harmonic? Stuff like
raising the leading tone when ascending to he tonic (do), keep V-VI progression
in root position in minor, if you raise leading tone be sure that you're coming from
le to TI, that = an +2. There's too many to list!

JJ Freqy

Message 7/13             17-Aug-04  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

beds

my music teacher wrote a book for four part harmony, all these rules and shit. he was gonna get it printed then we were the last year to have it on the curriculum, stupid education authority thought it was too hard for 14 -16 y/o.

Message 8/13             17-Aug-04  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

casparproject

Luckily though my brain doesn't remember the rules, I can usually hear them and
figure out what's wrong with'em. I'm going to try to do a pseudofugal call and
answer thing I think. I haven't done this in about 4 years though, so be patient
with me.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 9/13             17-Aug-04  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

sitar

fifth species 3 voice counterpoint. before those days, in the days of organum the church forbade the use of 3rds saying 3rds were of the devil.

Message 10/13             17-Aug-04  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: Orchestral compositions on paper...

casparproject

fuck, in those days anything that wasn't written by the church for the church was
of the devil. if it weren't for good ol josquin breaking all the rules it could've
carried on for another few hundred years too.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)