aaa QUALITY CABLES - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: QUALITY CABLES

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             27-Sep-98  @  03:02 PM   -   QUALITY CABLES

jason.rowe

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is it worth spending £100's on decent quality audio cables?

Ive noticed that some of my cables (cheapies from music shops) generate quite a lot of hiss.

My problem is that ive got a stereo channel line mixer and a stereo path bay. This means that if I want to put all the mixer inputs via the patchbay I need 64 stereo jack to two mon jack cables, preferably less than a metre.

Ive tried Studio Spares and they've only got 2.5m
insert leads (something like £9 each). Any ideas, if I make them up myself itll take weeks and weeks and Ill make a shit job of it.

Any aladin cable caves in central London ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             27-Sep-98  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I'ts good to get DECENT cables, that don't have noise... But, I've heard on many occasions, that all the really hifi cables will do is boost your dynamic signal response, and that, actually, you'll get lots of unwanted high frequency noise (OK, slight but noticiable) from the cables, because they reproduce frequencies that are not normally transmitted thru the cables.. This doesn't mean of course, that your crap cables are to be stuck with.. I have plenty of straight up SHITTY cables, from gigging with guitars and shit, that crackle and hiss all the time.. Hehe, I won't give up my main guitar cable tho, even tho the ends are crackly, just because it's as old as my guitar (From 1976) and it's all curly, like a phone cable  

Message 3/14             27-Sep-98  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

Lettus Be

Link?:  Link

Yeah the guy I jam with used to work for the phone company here in Canada and got a tonne of the old switch board cables with the green woven casing. Nice 'n "low fi"  

Message 4/14             27-Sep-98  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

well, you dont have to have inserts for all the channels.... make as many inserts as you have fx for... then plug the items into the insert-enabled channels to add insert fx.... leave the rest blank... the hiss you hear is not the cables, it;s the eqiuptment..... higher quality cable offers less resistance to the signal, and should be cleaner... sometimes you may not notice a difference audibly tho..... the best to use is the cheap studio spares cable... it's black...thin studioflex... slightly flexible, for semi or permenant istalls..... it is 2 core & screen (foil) and earth.... but you'll need a stripper to make quantities, or you'll be going nutz stripping the cable... where are you... if in london, i could help you out with the tools... also my mate works at studiospares, so gets cheap stuff..... a drum of 100 meters is about 50 quid..... cheap.... i've got several meters left here... also i have loads of old looms from the old patchbay i made.... there are in clusters with jacks on... quite short tho..... anyways... bell me if you're near... i'm round victoria station way.... you need to be really specific about the system ... then you can work out what you do need and what you dont.... like when i had only a stereo comprtessor, i made up 2 inserts cables... i could plug these into any channel that required it.... rather than having an insert for each channel... now, i have an insert on all channels..... but it's un-neccessary

Message 5/14             27-Sep-98  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

jason.rowe

FYI
The inset cables are to go from the mackie to the pathbay (two monos on mixer and stereo on patch bay).

The best suggestion so far is to byr 16 stereo to stereo cables, 32 mono to monos, and splice the cables in the middle. Thats within my soldering ability. That way I get the right lengths...

Message 6/14             28-Sep-98  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

jason.rowe

That gut in Victoria, drop us an email, you didnt leave your Email id.

Message 7/14             28-Sep-98  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

buggo

ooh, another thing to spend money on....get decent cables that don't short out or crackle; the actual audible differences in frequency response or whatnot will probably be negligible...or maybe it's just my shite ears that tell me this!

Message 8/14             28-Sep-98  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

kilo

it was me in victoria.... what is the point of having 16 inserts unless you have 16 items to insert???.... think about it... when i first started i simply made 3 inserts on cables long enuff to plug into any of the 16 channels... then i simply leave the compressor 1+ 2 iattatched to insert 1 & 2 sockets... and the mono compressor on insert-3... then move the actual stereo inseret plug at the desk end free to be plugged into any channel required... it is an absolute waste of cable , time & money to have 16 inserts for all channels etc.... there is no point, cos you'll only use a few....

Message 9/14             28-Sep-98  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

jason.rowe

Maybe we've got crossed wires, im putting all the in's to my desk through the patchbay. That wayt I can sample stringht from the instrument rather than through the mixer. I thought that wa the best way. I dont want to be pluggin kit in and out of the back of the mixer (its got rear sockets).

Message 10/14             29-Sep-98  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: QUALITY CABLES

kilo

makes no difference.... economically.... sure it's nice... and neat to have inserts wired to every input... but expansive..... build em yourself is the only answer... it's very easy

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)