aaa USB V MIDI - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: USB V MIDI

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             09-Feb-04  @  10:38 AM   -   USB V MIDI

catastrophic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

does any one here think it would be a better option if new gear came with USB ports to control MIDI functions oposed to the standard 5 pin din plugs.

considering all computers come standard with USB and to the best of my knowlege USB is faster and hasa larger range of uses's.

i was also thinking that you could also pump a audio signal down the same cable so you could go digital - digital and save money of A- D converterters.

opinions? statements? questions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             09-Feb-04  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

craig

Link?: Link

And I would use an all-hardware live setup how?

I agree there's need for a replacement for MIDI. It would be nice if it included audio also on one cable, but... You'd still need some way to make this stuff backwards-compatible, and for cheap. Or else nobody would use it if they've got a substantial investment in MIDI equipment.

Mlan looks like the closest thing..

-Craig

Message 3/14             09-Feb-04  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

influx

Link?:  Link

yamaha M-Lan on firewire. hopefully that will work as predicted.

doesnt necessarily need a host...but...changin old gear? not gonna happen

Message 4/14             09-Feb-04  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

beds

changin old gear? kenton seemed to do ok out of it for a while

Message 5/14             09-Feb-04  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

Yonce

Well we already have usb midi interfaces, so i don't see why we couldn't have usb to midi adapters to use with older kit. Backwards compatibility is the biggest road block to new technology . I don't see why they couldn't include a midi port along with the new standard be it usb or somthing completely different. Just move forward already !

Message 6/14             09-Feb-04  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

milan

yeah... something faster, more flexible, and bi-directional would be most welcome!

Message 7/14             09-Feb-04  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

influx

faster?

maybe just more precise? I guess thats the same as faster?

Message 8/14             10-Feb-04  @  04:50 AM     Edit: 10-Feb-04  |  04:52 AM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

What made the MIDI spec so unique in the early 80's was that a group of competing manufacturers came together and agreed on a standard - unprecedented at a time when the Beta vs VHS debacle was still a recent memory and oft cited example of manufacturers competing to the detriment of consumers. What makes it unique today, the Compact disk standard notwithstanding, is such a level of cooperation still being unprecedented. I think softsynths will become the norm way before anyone can agree on a standard to replace MIDI. The irony is, however, that USB and firewire are already becoming the new de facto standard interface for the vanguard of softsynth users who utilize USB/firewire controller keyboards.

Eventually I think MIDI hardware will cease to be manufactured. USB and firewire MIDI interfaces will continue to be manufactured but in ever decreasing numbers till they become a specialty item for old schoolers (The idea of MIDI users being considered old school seems odd - what will pre-MIDI analog purists be called?). Perhaps in the interim MIDI will end up being the PC serial port of musical gear - only provided because its cheap to implement; done so as a nod to said old schoolers but of little use for a growing number of users.

Of course, I could be full of sh--.

Message 9/14             11-Feb-04  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

catastrophic

ATTN :craig under my sugestion i would say that MIDI as a protocol would be kept but just run down a USB cable not a 5 pin DIN so your live set up could stay the same or similar.

also if you could run audio down the same cable as MIDI you could save time in set up and have to lug less cables to shows ( im always killing cables @ shows)

can anyone answer is there still 1 free pin ( not used) in the 5 pin DIN MIDI cable?

Message 10/14             11-Feb-04  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: USB V MIDI

psylichon

there are 3, innit. MIDI only needs two conductors, to my knowledge.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)