aaa Mastering - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mastering

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             01-Dec-98  @  12:24 AM   -   Mastering

Storm

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What about minidisk? Does it make a good mastering medium even though the quality isnt as good as DAT? The quality cant be that much worse.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             01-Dec-98  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Mastering

xoxos

Link?:  Link

you know that (well as far as i've heard) the thing with minidisk is that it compresses data above 16k. i've got one, and granted i haven't done a lot of mastering on it, the sound quality is fine to me. i'd recommend saving for a cd though, unless you're getting a killer deal.

xoxos.

Message 3/16             01-Dec-98  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: Mastering

Storm

Do you reccomend CD-r or CD-RW? Dont re-writable disks cost a packet?

Message 4/16             01-Dec-98  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: Mastering

Storm

By the way, how much should I be able to get a cheap-ish DAT for?

Message 5/16             01-Dec-98  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: Mastering

99devils

By far the most popular option for almost everyone I've spoken to is to take your finished tracks to a real studio, and have a real engineer master them, and they'll split you off a CD. In my area, this would run me about 60-120 USD for a full length CD.

I've heard that it's money well spent, and I am certainly sorry we did not float the bill for a tape I cut with a band in high school.

-Craig

Message 6/16             02-Dec-98  @  02:50 AM   -   RE: Mastering

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

We did our first record off a raw recording of a live performance on mini-disc, then transferred some excerpts to DAT, and sent them off to National Sound to have Ron tweak it up a bit and cut the laquers. It sounds just fine to me, maybe just the tiniest bit lacking in the low end compared to the raw recording, but good enough. Nice raw sound!!!

Ape

Message 7/16             02-Dec-98  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: Mastering

Dan S.

Don't forget that with a decent tapedeck properly set up you can achieve rather good results. There's more noise coming from the sb16 than from the tape it self, so if you're on a tight budget, don't dismiss this, just because every big-shot studio-guy tells you to go dat and all...

Message 8/16             03-Dec-98  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: Mastering

DJ Madskillz

just wondering if you mean "tracks" as in the different tracks of one song, or send the complete stereo mix of a song to be mastered.

Message 9/16             03-Dec-98  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: Mastering

rouge

Remember that minidisc uses the same form of data as CD but it is compressed to fit on that tiny disc whereas CD is NOT compressed. Its not really noticable but you can hear it if you listen out for it and know how the minidisc compression works.

Message 10/16             03-Dec-98  @  07:37 AM   -   RE: Mastering

melon

rouge, I think "compressed" is the wrong word to use here, as four fifths of the data are thrown away, never to be seen (or heard) again. But they only throw away the parts of the sound which you wouldn't hear anyway. Well I've transfered a few of my CDs to mini-disc (digitally) and can't hear the difference, to tell you the truth.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)