aaa How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             31-Jul-98  @  04:25 PM   -   How Do They do it? That ghetto chicago style

chad_mitchell

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have always wondered how all the relief records and records of that style get that warm but hollow kick and clap, as well as those full, well rounded synthlines. I'm talking Paul Johnson and Robert Armani type sounding shit. Green Velvet aka Cajmere, you all know what I'm talkin about.

I have heard many talk about distortion and compression, but that's not all. There are other elements there that I'm curious about. Lets get some opinions.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             01-Aug-98  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

?

doubled up sounds kik 1 ontop of kik 2,i asked Paul Johnson.

Message 3/16             02-Aug-98  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Purple Haze

I don't know Paul Johnson or Robert Armani, but a tiny bit of distortion can do wonders imho...

Message 4/16             02-Aug-98  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

kilo

i find layering as the man above says can yield great resulkts for drums...... i remember one interview with an industrai band, where they were talking about creating kik drums with up to 40 sounds layered in some cases

Message 5/16             02-Aug-98  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

kilo

maybe try some Oberhiem DMX samples... 12 bit is the key maybe.... i like to layer a fat 909 kik under the actual sound of the top layer kik... it really fattens things up.....

Message 6/16             03-Aug-98  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

bill

Link?:  Link

12-bit samples - do they have to be sampled at 12bit to sound fat or can you convert them using cool edit from 16bit to 12bit and get the same result? also, does it matter what sampling rate you're at?

is there a technical reason for it sounding better?

Message 7/16             03-Aug-98  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

Fingers

the latest fruity loops gives you a delay which you can set up to 9 but with no time ie 9 layers...this produces some fine kik drums

Message 8/16             03-Aug-98  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

chad

hey ?

when you mean double up the 1 on two, do you mean on the 2 and 4 of the measurehaving the same kick play @ once?

Message 9/16             03-Aug-98  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

use Xbase 09 and twiddle a bit the Noise and Harmonics
Knob....

Holger

Message 10/16             03-Aug-98  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: How Do They do it? That Ghetto chicago style

chad

I dream of one of those x bases. Other than that, I'm using my R8 and Fruity Loops.

-Chad-

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)