aaa New outfit.... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New outfit....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             04-Aug-98  @  10:03 AM   -   New outfit....

bill

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

a friend of mine just gave me 700quid to set him up for getting to gether some house and garage tracks - says he wants to reinvent the whole scene - so i said yeah, just give me the money and we'll see. so i've scoured loot and this is what i've come up with.....

atari ste with 4mb and cubase 3 for sequencing - 95ukp
yamaha fb01 for the dx/fm house/garage organs and basses - 49ukp
roland d110 for other more analog-y sounds and polyphony - 100ukp
emax sampler keyboard for drums and pads - 200ukp
mixer for the modules - about 80ukp right? (didn't check that one)

which is a total of 524ukp. for a setup that'll be adequate for quite a while. so i only need to check - can the emax function as the master keyboard? will it midi out as a controller? and it does map drum samples doesn't it? also, any replacements or ideas would be appreciated...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             04-Aug-98  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

Link?:  No link

JESUS !!!.... 200 quid for an emax !!!..... GET IT..... and make sure the atari has a monitor... at that price i'd say it doesnt..... There's a place in Kingston on Thames and at London bridge that do 3rd party atari monitors.... also check out System-Solutions in Dulwich for Atari monitors..... you get about 6-8 extra tracks visible on-screen on a non-atari monitor with cubase..... yes the emax can be a controller...... no aftertouch tho..... if you have a pc spare to link up you copuld sync in cool-edit or whatever for long vocal tracks.... the d110 is as good as anything ... surprisingly good analog-y sounds...... dunno if the emax will trigger hi-hats fast enuff.... should do, but hi-hats rob polyphony.... maybe try to and add a cheap drum box, with 909 hi-hats that can be adjusted for decay.... NB the decay of the hats is critical to the feel....... it's 909 all the way as the primary drums for house and garage... all in all a good starter..... dunno if he'll 're-invent the whole scene' tho !....

Message 3/16             04-Aug-98  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

hmmm. well, my heart kinda jumped when you shouted about the emax so i phoned him - i'm off to check it out tomorrow - he reckons that there's about 19 seconds of sampling on it - does that mean its upgraded or wnat? anyway, still worth 200quid you reckon? its an emax se.....

won't trigger the hihats fast enough? well, i guess i could loan the bloke my sr-16 for a while - would you say that the hats on that are ok (i know that they're not really 909-y at all, but you know, the best you can do and all that.....). i think i might just go out on a limb and buy the emax tho - he won't have the money for a month to buy it off me but then again, i reckon i'll be able to sell it for the same price....at least....and it'll give me a quick intro to using a proper sampler before i get the a3000.....

cool.....excited now. and you reckon the d110's a good idea?? its cheap and lots of outs....but someone said to avoid it - then again, the same bloke said that the fb01 would be the new 303 as well.....

Message 4/16             04-Aug-98  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

the SR is no good for garage or house hats, you cant get 909, and worse still, no decay control.....which is critical

well, the emax will give lots of sampling time if you mess with the sample rate but not 19 seconds at 48k top bandwidth.... no way.... unless he's got some weird upgraded ram model, which i never heard of... I was not aware that you could upgrade the ram on a standard emax SE... maybe you can, in which case, it sounds better !... . my mate has the d110... a bastard to edit so I'm told, but it is an excellent bit of kit for the dosh... and I've heard it do some very good widdley stuff plus more... and you get seperate outs.. it is a prime bit of cheap budget kit for sure.....

Message 5/16             04-Aug-98  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Fingers

may seem obvious but...don't forget the desk...outboard fx...

Message 6/16             04-Aug-98  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

bill

yup. the "desk" is going to start off being a shitty little samson mixpad or something - 2 aux sends, two band eq.....and as far as fx goes, he's a guitarist so he has distortion, chorus and wah, and the reverb'll have to wait a bit.....mind you, he has reverb on his guitar amp, so he can always pump stuff through there and resample it.....

no bones about it though, its a cheap setup to start off with. but if he's any good with it he should be able to get something decent out of it....

as far as the 909 sounds go, it looks like a quick purchase of a sample cd and using the emax as a drumbox....can't see any other way to get those sounds. i almost envy the simplicity of this though - might have to set it up in my room for a wekk or two and mess with it before giving it all to him....

the fb01 will do a passable bass won't it?

Message 7/16             04-Aug-98  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

fb01 bass -- i'd say forget it unless you have an analogue filter to send it through -- I have one of these beasts and the 4 operator basses fall apart completely.

Message 8/16             04-Aug-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Hey kilo,

I thought you told me that the emax wasn't worth $400 american. Isn't that just slightly more than 200 quid?

-Chad-

Message 9/16             04-Aug-98  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: New outfit....

Hilevelt

hehehe, reinvent the house/garage scene....

Message 10/16             05-Aug-98  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: New outfit....

kilo

yeah whoops...thought it was sterling... but then you guys are always on about how US dollars are the same as pounds for kit, plus all the peeps saying they got theirs for 200 or 275 or whatever... however now it is revealed the SE has 2mb... get it !!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)