aaa How do you create tracks on a PC? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             23-Jul-98  @  01:26 PM   -   How do you create tracks on a PC?

stephenb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My first experience of making music on a PC was with an early version of Cubase and a shitty soundblaster type card - I was hooked!

I now have a PII233,64mb,EWS64,basstation......and loads and loads of software. My problem is that I'm now spending more time on configuring this or that than I am on making music. I've given up on VST and I'm now trying the following method-

-Stomper & Hammerhead for drum parts
-Rebirth & Vaz for Bass & leads
-Cubase AV XL for recording midi synth parts as -audio
-wavelab for adding fx
-Making waves for arranging the song
-Cakewalk5 for fades, cutting up samples etc. and mixdown

I'd like to know what software people are using and what techniques they rely on for keeping it all creative rather than worrying about system prerolls and audio playback failed (for what fucking reason?) bullshit.

I've heard kilo praise cakewalk 5.0 in the past for being solid and wonder if it's time to turn my back on the software race and forget about plug ins and have it all wonder programs - at least until machine specs & operating sytems catch up anyway!

I know people are into different styles and have varied setups but basically, is there a simple but effective way to make tracks hassle free on a PC?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             23-Jul-98  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Ferg

Sonic Foundry's Acid is a very heavy program. Like all SF products it does everything exactly as you would want it to, with an interface as intuitive as Sound Forge. If what you really want to do is turn (churn) out dance tracks I think this and Sound Forge are almost the only programs you need.

Of course, it doesn't deal with midi so it's not useful to everyone. But I think it can accept timecode so you can use it in conjunction with a seq. program. I think.

Message 3/16             23-Jul-98  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

stephenb

I've used ACID and think it's a very cool program but as you pointed out it doesn't deal with midi.

I don't want to "churn" out tracks, I just want to use midi and audio in my tracks without all the hassle. Recording all my midi files as waves and then finishing a track in ACID is one solution, but I'd like to know what everyone else is using.

VST claims to do everything for you and I'm sure it does, just not on my machine. So if I have to use seperate audio and midi progs I'd like to keep them down to a minimum and use solid reliable software so I can concentrate on making music.

Message 4/16             23-Jul-98  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

chad_mitchell

Here Here Brother:

I am exactly where you are. Tired of the configuration bullshit. Trying to figure out the most efficient and creative way to make music has been consuming me immensly over the past many months.

I too have given up on Cubase. I agree with the above post about acid. It rocks along with sound forge. If it only had easy note sequencing and pitch adjustment. This is where Making Waves comes in. These three together make an incredible combination. Real time Midi input and sample pitch adjustment and sequencing. I use a Midi keyboard for input so I can play real time, not just step recording. Samples generated in any of our favorite sound software work nicely.

Other than this method, I think the best way is with seperate hardware units using the PC to sequence all. The combination of the too seems to lose me. Then again, this is only my current concept.

As far as midi sequencing, I have found cakewalk to be without a doubt, the most user friendly and stable program on the PC. Sequence and record samples of your gear, then once digital, add to the above. It's currently working for me.

Its easy to get carried away with the tech aspects. I'm ready to get back to the creativity. Lets hear some other insights.

-Chad-

Message 5/16             23-Jul-98  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

The Pimp

If you want solid and don't want hassel stick with Cakewalk. I just upgraded to v7 and it works grate and you can use DX pluggins. I only have a p133 and I have had up to 8 audio tracks gooing at once without slowdown. I use Soundforge to edit audio and the like. Cakewalk has solid timing and I've rarely had any problems with it. Cakewalk 6 wasn't as stable as 5 but I find that 7 is so no worries there. Of course it doesn't have all the fancy features that VST and Logic have but it's way easier to use then either of them.

Jeremy Arsenualt arsenaul@niagara.com

Message 6/16             23-Jul-98  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Blunted

I too use the makingwaves/cakewalkV6/soundforge combo
Werks for me with limited headache

Message 7/16             23-Jul-98  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

Astroman

Yup... I've been debating the same stuff myself lately.

I keep going back and forth between hardware/midi only setups (ie - useing Cakewalk to sequence my cs1x and db50xg) and software/sample only setups (ie - useing Making Waves or Acid to sequence samples generated in VAZ or Stomper).

I find Im relying more and more on Cakewalk 7 alone to do stuff.... but the more I rely on Cakewalk the more I miss the simplicity and ease of use of Making Waves. I love the way I can compose the entire song with all kinds of intricate cross rythems in just a matter or minutes. But when I start relying on Making Waves I miss the functionality of Cakewalk...

Occasionally I'll try combining the two... but like you've all pointed out... when you start getting real complex configurations you end up spending more time tweaking and configuring and getting lost in the tech stuff than actually making music. So I'd like to find the most simple combination of programs and/or gear to focus on and use in my songwriting process.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Message 8/16             23-Jul-98  @  06:05 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

PUMP from Bram Bos is the best!

Message 9/16             23-Jul-98  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

chad_mitchell

I have pump and found that without gear for synths- sampling, and drums- it is kind of tough to use. It didn't work well with my awe 64 as a sampler. Maybe pump with dedicated hardware is the way to go? What kind of gear are you using with it.

-Chad-

Message 10/16             24-Jul-98  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: How do you create tracks on a PC?

stephenb

Cakewalk seems to be the program of choice for most people. I had a quick look at Pump but didn't have enough time to play about with it.

Is it a valid option for people that don't have the hardware and rely more on soundcard\software?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)