aaa Laptop and desktop together - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Laptop and desktop together

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             14-Oct-03  @  04:33 AM   -   Laptop and desktop together

Camrock

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My friend gave me his old laptop and I have a desktop(devoted to just digital audio). My question is this. I would like to use my new laptop as a standalone synth(Absynth2)and for sampling(kontakt). This would greatly reduce the load on the cpu. Have any of you guys done this or know anyone who has? How would I get the audio into the desktop. I am currently using a digi 001. Thanks for any help.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             14-Oct-03  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

mcc>

i'm sure tons of guys use this method.
i was thinking of this myself...again...only yesterday.

any i/o soundcard should help you get your sounds into the desktop.

Message 3/16             14-Oct-03  @  07:22 AM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

queasy00

Link?:  Link

can't you just midi-up the two? or it doesn't work like that in the pc world?

-j

Message 4/16             14-Oct-03  @  07:36 AM     Edit: 14-Oct-03  |  07:36 AM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

psylichon

Link?: Link

I think he wants to transfer audio. I've thought about this a bit also, as I have a motu2408 which can take ADAT lightpipe (Like your Digi001), and have considered buying an auxillary laptop. I wish someone would make a simple, digital-only lightpipe audio interface (a'la ADAT Edit card) on a PC card or firewire interface. This would make interfacing between laptop and desktop audio interfaces much easier. Imagine 8 channels both ways between your desktop and a remote computer with two cables.

Unfortunately the only solutions right now are full fledged desktop interfaces redone for portable protocol, either PC Card (RME) or firewire (MOTU or Digi), so they all have analog inputs, MIDI, and/or other things you may not need for this purpose and are usually expensive.

Manufacturers, give us a simple, low cost, portable lightpipe solution and rule the market! Lots of people want to do this.

Message 5/16             14-Oct-03  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

Influx

steinberg system link

not so simple tho is it...

Message 6/16             14-Oct-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

mcc>

nor cheap!!!

Message 7/16             14-Oct-03  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

Camrock

Im a little confused. What would i need to purchase to be able to get audio into my digi..would i need to buy another expensive sound card, would an indigo work or could i get away with firewire?

Message 8/16             14-Oct-03  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

BluStudio

i kinda do this using the pc as a standalone-

i run a g4/digi001/PT as the main seq/recorder and use the pc as a soft synth instrument the same as any module- by Midi ports and jack leads.

i dont know about absynth but most often i have orion pro opened (hosting) and just assign midi vhannels to my vsti's from there then have the stereo outs jacked into my mixer beside my other keys/rack inputs.

when i press play in PT on the G4 the pc plays like a sound module or sampler - is that what you mean?

blu

Message 9/16             14-Oct-03  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

BluStudio

the card should only need a Midi IN port, and a pair of stereo outs to get the sound back out and into your digi's in's

blu

Message 10/16             14-Oct-03  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Laptop and desktop together

beds

fxteleport ^

not tried it meself but your laptop should have a lan socket, maybe desktop as well but they're real cheap (if they do take up a pci slot)

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)