aaa mixer confusion - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: mixer confusion

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             13-Sep-98  @  04:32 AM   -   mixer confusion

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

on my CR-1604, i'm kind of perplexed by a lot of the routing options...there's all the FX sends, plus a "5/6 Shift" button next to each of the aux sends 3 and 4...plus I'm not sure about how to really get the max from the routing options I do have...and the manual is totally cryptic and lame, shit, the promotional brochure told me more than the manual did!!!

if anyone has any experience with this mixer, lemme know; i could use the help!!

(by the way, I must say I think in terms of pure FEEL, i really like the old 1604 better than the new one...the faders are so fat and wonderful...on the new one they're all skinny to allow the bus routing options to be there...just a thought...)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             13-Sep-98  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

Also, how do I keep levels even throughout a set..?

like if i have a synth sound that is the right volume, but then for the next song I have to run it thru distortion, or delay, or whatever, which changes the level...how do I keep it even so i don't have to do a lot of on-the spot "problem-fix" mixing???

Message 3/17             14-Sep-98  @  09:38 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

kilo

iether mark your faders for the different positions, or get a dist' pedal with an output level knob... and balance it when ON to be the right level compared to switched out....

those 5/6 button simply is a dual switch.... you go t 6 aux sends, but to make room, they switch the 3/4 knobs to 5/6.... so you can have 6 aux units permenantly patched in to your aux sends... then choose to send out to 2/4... or whern switched down, the signal is routing out of 5 & 6 sends.... obvi9ously you cant send to 3/4 & 5/6 at the same time,.....

Message 4/17             14-Sep-98  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

skul

bug, if you can give a description of your kit i might be able to come up with some routing suggestions. as far as level setting goes, once you get the hang of it, it's not really that much of a pain to set the input level - becomes second nature, really. be sure to gain stage everything.

Message 5/17             15-Sep-98  @  05:03 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

yeah, that's kind of what i figured for teh 5/6 switch...not as if I even have that many effects though!!

but what are the aux sends good for? i have a whole shitload of 'em and i'm only using 2...what about the other 4?

and yes, my distortion pedal DOES have an output level knob, which i've balanced with the non-distorted signal just fine...but when i switch from, say, a single-oscillator patch with portamento and poly mode to a unison-mode, square+saw fucked up heavy bas patch, how do I keep the levels consistent? one's always gonna be louder...(i'm talking about my juno.)

so i've got the juno, my computer (temporarily) and an emax...plus for my live set i'm gonna have 2 CD players and a tape deck hooked up...if you can think of any creative routing options, let me know.

(one thing that irks me is that you really can't use the same distortion pedal for more than one signal...like if I'm making a distorted lead sound on the juno, but also want to use distortion on a bass drum or hats or whatever, it never sounds right, and you can tell they're sharing a signal...sounds strange, but i'm not sure how to put it. i just need another pedal!)

also, i'm not using an aux send for the distortion...since the only thing i use it for so far is the Juno, i haven't bothered...but when i pick the emax up tomorrow i'm going to have to rewire all that shite...damn...

Message 6/17             15-Sep-98  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

bill

Link?:  Link

for the levels - doesn't the juno allow you to save a volume-setting with each patch? ideally you want them all peaking at about the same level - if i were you i'd just go hrough all the sounds you're going to use and get them all peaking at the right level. if you're sort of working out a setlist then just practice it until you got the fader-control right. if you're winging it, then it's just a case of geeting familiar with it. but getting all the levels right in the juno-patches will help.

aux sends. fx - which you know (but i dunno about distortion - i think you'd be better off putting that effect through the insert on the channel - you don't really want a wet/dry mix of distortion. other uses - can send signals from individual channels to another sound source - either something like a pc or a sampler where you don't want to record the whole mix - or other than that to another mixer/amp for monitoring - if you're playing live you may want various members of your group to hear different mixes.

but mostly fx....

Message 7/17             15-Sep-98  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

Richie

Buggo, with that many aux's your laughing. Remember you can use the 5/6 for stuff like tape deck play or something.. This is pretty usefull if you have a cd that you like the particular sound on. you can have your cd deck going into the mixing desk (on 5 lets say) and compare the sound of your track with the cd track easily. You can learn a lot about your own /other peoples mixes this way.

Message 8/17             15-Sep-98  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

skul

uh, buggo, what you got fer FX besides the distortion pedal? what's currently on Aux 1+2?

and how many outs on the Emax? regardless it sounds like you got plenty of channel space for all your gear outputs, so you don't really need to use the extra auxs(s). get more FX... ;)

but i'll tell ya this much, if you got a delay or reverb (or multieffect, whatever...) on aux1 or 2, you should be able to do something really cool. send out 1 (or 1+2) and return it on 1 (aux return 1, that is). there should be a knob next to the return 1 volume that is for sending to aux 1. using that you can create a feedback loop that will give you mad sounds. be careful, though - the feedback keeps increasing in volume unless you keep on it, bringing it back down. very cool. dump it to tape and sample it.

you don't want to use the same pedal for your juno and drums - settings will be different and using the same signal path would just clutter everything up. so go buy another - you're a big spender now, right? you could prolly find one used for 10-20 bucks anyways.

aside from that... you got one of your subs patched to the inputs on the emax, right? patch the other to your PC. that way anything going into the mixer can be sampled (thru FX if you want) to either the sampler or yer puter (or both), just hitting a couple of buttons and moving some faders (no swapping cables, etc.).

Message 9/17             15-Sep-98  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: mixer confusion

skul

oh yeah, another ting... does the original 1604 have an aux return that can be routed to the subs? that would be cool for sampling just an effect (like a reverb wash).

Message 10/17             16-Sep-98  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: mixer confusion

buggo

nah, i don't think so...(about the aux return..)

and fx-wise, i have a delay pedal, chorus pedal, and reverb unit...delay is aux 1, chorus is aux 2...that's it so far..the reverb sucks so i don't use it...

altho actually, there IS a thing that lets you solo the aux returns...not a bad effect except it only gives you the wet signal...if the fx unit had 2 outputs, 1 for wet and 1 for dry, that would work great, but if all you're doing is feeding a signal in and getting an effected signal out, it doesn't do much...

and now i'm flat broke. i actually haven't used the emax yet...i got it today and i have a sneaking suspicion this guy is fucking with me...rack ears were bent, the case was bashed up, the power button was missing, there's no power cord, the HD was wiped, the system disks don't work, there's no manual...i am, needless to say, quite pissed. and to think, i still need to pay off this shite...

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)