aaa Cutting Silence - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Cutting Silence

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             05-Aug-98  @  06:40 PM   -   Cutting Silence

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I got this box and I want to sample the drum sounds before I take it back.
I'll record all the hits in a long file in sondforge than i'll individually select each sample
and make its its own file. But tthat file with one sample won't start at the beginning.
I will have silence in the beggining and end. Is there a way in soundforge or any other
program to cut away all silence of a file leaving nothing but the audio data??

t

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             06-Aug-98  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Purple Haze

I've been recording a whole bunch of stuff from the mc505 which I've got to give back one of these days and I've got the same problem.
I was thinking about getting the file(s) with all the hits and drums and stuff in wavesurgeon and cutting it up in there. But that will ofcourse leave a silence after each sample.

Let me know if you find a good solution.

Message 3/17             06-Aug-98  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

---

O.k I think I have a way to do it but I haven't tested it yet.

Use wavesurgeon or whatever to cut data at the hit so the file starts at the hit... But there is
data in the back right. So reverse the file and use wavesurgeon again. YOu might want to use
cooledit or soundforge or whatever to do a batch reversal of the files once you wavesurgeoned them
then after the second wavesurgeon you should reverse it back to normal using the batch process.
Try.. If somebody got something better than this don't hesitate to submit it!!!

Message 4/17             06-Aug-98  @  06:36 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

buggo

fuck it...jsut get into cool edit or something and trim the samples; it takes only a few seconds per sample. Cool edit has this "save selection" button where you can highlight a selection (a drum hit for example), listen to it, and save just the selection; you don't have to start a new file or anything, you just specify a file name that you wanna save the sound as...

Message 5/17             06-Aug-98  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

bill

Link?:  Link

hasn't soundforge got an auto-truncate if you can't be bothered? you could get the long file, split it into regions, use batch convert to export to multiple files, then this auto-trim/chop thing.

but i'd do it by hand if i were you. you'll get to know your samples better as well.....and they might not all be the right volume so you can normalise them as well....

Message 6/17             06-Aug-98  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

kilo

the A3000 does that job, on the fly as it records from a disk... heh....so you can go off to the pub while it records 128 mb of samples

Message 7/17             06-Aug-98  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

bill

smug git. i've been saving for the a3000 for all of three weeks now. but i will have the last laugh. trouble is, buying the a3000 will mean selling the emax really, and i don't know if i want to part with it now.....oh well, i guess i'm being stupid, as there's no choice between the two really is there....

Message 8/17             06-Aug-98  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Richie

Hold on... With soundforge, if you highlight a section of silence then hit the delete button on the keyboard, well believe it or not the highlighted section becomes deleted.

Use the zoom in/out buttons that are at the bottom of the wave display window to, er zoom in and out.

And also, highlight the whole drum sample (including silence at beginning and end) then use the "truncate" function to do it automatically.

Richie

Message 9/17             06-Aug-98  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

buggo

i'm well impressed...your mastery of sound forge is unsurmounted...

Message 10/17             13-Aug-98  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Cutting Silence

Hilevelt

Well, I've tried many of the techniques suggested (thanks all); in the end it went like this:

1. recorded about 100 drum samples, each less than a second in length with about 4 seconds in between

2. cut up and saved as individual wav's in wave surgeon.

3. batch truncated in sound forge

4. one by one copied each separate file into one large file (all the samples compiled back together but without the silence)

5. cut up AGAIN in recycle and exported/keymapped to my sampler

This is all well and good, and was much faster than I've been able to do it before (about 1/2 an hour), but the problem's pretty fuckin' obvious. Step 4 is a complete waste and took up the majority of the work, but is necessary for having recycle keymap the whole thing for me, which is way faster than assigning samples one by one, even on an a3000.

So is there any way of auto-assembling the files back together? Possibly even outside of wav editors, after all I've seen programs that join other same-type files together, are these feasible? Does there exist a universal "joiner" for all file types?

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)