aaa Locked up!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Locked up!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             28-Jul-98  @  06:29 PM   -   Locked up!!

Blunted

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Help, my computer started locking up. 40 seconds after start-up it would just plain lock up. Come
to find out, the heatsink broke off of my Cyrix
chip and it was overheating. I fixed the heat sink
but now my XGEDIT software locks up after 2-3 key presses. Everything else works perfectly ie making waves and cakewalk. Even cakewalk plays XG files
perfectly off of the net. ANyways, so I reload the newest version of XGedit and it still locks up?
As I said, the board still works, and everything else still works fine too......WHat could it be?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             28-Jul-98  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Rouge

Dump the Cyrix, depending on your motherboard you can get a PII quite cheap now!

Message 3/17             28-Jul-98  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

The PImp

If the the dll or any library files or something like that got screwed up during you're meldown that would explain it. When you install a new version unless it's a major up grade it still points to the older files. Or...the regisrty might of got screwed up, Sometimes newer versions of a program doen't install a new entry and just use the old one. If you think it may be the registry refer to the back of your Windows manual and on page 83 it should tell you how to restore the reg. If not get a reg clean program it'll find any errors and fix it.

Message 4/17             28-Jul-98  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

kilo

B-limey.... i though from the title, you'd been banged up by the Bill... heh heh..... and the roast beef with tatties and veg you get in the cells tastes like shit too !!.... and there's not even a vegetarian menu !!.... heh..... er.... foxed mate..... totally foxed.... maybe you blew a part of the chip needed ...can other pairs of s/w work in tandem ?.... or is it just XG-Edit on it's own...

Message 5/17             28-Jul-98  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Astroman

I think the Pimp has the right idea. Did you uninstall XGEdit before reinstalling it? You might try that. That way all its dlls will have been wiped off the system (make sure you let it delete all its dlls on uninstall). After you've wiped it clean off yoru system try reinstalling it. Or maybe you're CPU is just slightly screwed enough to cause XGEdit to hang. CPUs can be replaced pretty cheap these days... picked up a brand new K6 200MMX cpu for $70 a few weeks ago. P2 probably isnt an option unless you ahve the right motherboard... and if you have a Cyrix I really doubt you have a P2 compatable motherboard.

Message 6/17             28-Jul-98  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Blunted

It's a socket 7...I think...I dunno, my board handles up
to 200mhz with a 75mhz bus....I'll try the Dll thing first. Thanks guys

Message 7/17             28-Jul-98  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Astroman

yeah... you gotta socket 7... same thing I have. P2 isn't an option then... requuires whole new motherboard. May wanna try that K6 if you're still having problems.

Message 8/17             28-Jul-98  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

Blunted

Ok, if the dll thing doesn't work, what do you guys think is better for music. Pentium 200MMX or K6 200MMX WHat the diff????

Message 9/17             28-Jul-98  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Locked up!!

KILO

I WOULDNT SWITCH NOW, cos all the bios etc will be set for the K6 chip you had before...... stick to the same, or else you'll have to change stuff, or melt the new chip..... Pentium would bebetter tho... did you try REG-CLEAN ?.... it'll clean out any registry files that refer to the XG edit, once you've removed it as a proggie

Message 10/17             29-Jul-98  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Locked up!!

daniella

P2 MMX......'Universal Bus System'...it's a dream.

Listen...don't mean to worry you Blunted, or overreact...but that sounds like a nasty virus that be going around.....did you download of the net??
Thought that was what was wrong with mine...but alas it was not......only thing that worked though was a complete hard-drive wipe, and a fresh windows.....seems i'm sorted now.
Sounds to me like your directories have been altered...this could also explain a bus problem when using a non UBS chip.
Maybe try a HD wipe??

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)