aaa ESI 4000 and Zip format - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ESI 4000 and Zip format

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             11-Oct-98  @  01:04 PM   -   ESI 4000 and Zip format

riot303

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

everytime i try to format my zip disk from the ESI 4000 via scsi i get a ..
SCSI MEDIA ERROR .... any-1 have a idea whats wrong ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             11-Oct-98  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

boldawn

when formatting a zip drive, i think you should press "8" at the end of the procedure instead of that last "Enter". the manuel said something about that. check your scsi connections (probably did that, hu ?)

i have one for you - i can't get an SDS to the esi to work properly. do you know how its done ?

Message 3/19             11-Oct-98  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

riot303

hey thanx a lot .... that "8" solved my problems ......
sure i will help you ... but what do you mean with a SDS ? oops

Message 4/19             13-Oct-98  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

boldawn

Glad I could help.
SDS stand for Sample Dump Standard. that means you can , errr.... , dump samples. let say you have a .wav on your computer - you can convert it to SDS format and DUMP it to your sampler, which is cool.
unfortunantly, this is not working for me, god knows why. it works, but with serious problems. if you hear something about it, I'd be greatful.

Message 5/19             13-Oct-98  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

Brenballs

Sample Dump Standard is the midi transfere right??? If it is I would strongly advise you to avoid it as midi is a VERY slow means of data transfere. If you have a sample of any decent size you could be waiting a VERY long time for it to transfer. However you can buy a 50 pin SCSI to 24 pin parrallel connector and stick that in the back of your ESI and into you Computer parrallel port and get extremely fast data transfer. For both of these methods you will need a piece of software such as Sound Forge 4.0 which is one of very few pieces of software for doing this. For midi sample dumps (Crap) you can get small shareware programs on the net, but I really advise against it! If you go for the Sound forge and SCSI cable option, just check up your ESI 4000 manual and it will explain a simple task you have to complete on your ESI before it will work. It is to do with setting up your SCSI ID numbers on the ESI so it recognises your PC as a SCSI device. I think you set your SCSI device to number 7. Hope I was of some use. Bye.

Message 6/19             13-Oct-98  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

riot303

hi...
yes i think brenballs is right ... i send all my wav from wavelab via SCSI to the ESI...
this goes fast and causes no trouble ..... I would advice you the get the
Adaptec 2940 AU controller .... it works very well with the ESI 4000.
If you need Wavelab i can help you  

BTW does anybody have an idea why our ESI cant read some ( not all ) AKAI Cd-roms ?

Message 7/19             14-Oct-98  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

weasel

er...Brenballs, don't you need a SCSI card in your PC or something? I'm about to get a zip drive for my esi32... I'd go into the parallel port if I could but I'm pretty sure you nedd a SCSI card, or...?

Message 8/19             14-Oct-98  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

boldawn

o.k. gang - here goes :
1) if I DO need a SCSI card on my PC - I don't have it.
2) I don't have SoundForge either.
3) I thought MIDI would be slow myself, but you would be surprised....
4) RIOT303 your help would be most appriciated :-)
5) What is that AU controller you mentioned ?
If anyone is interested in the details of my problem :
I take a .wav file and convert it to SDS using CONVERT14. Then I dump that SDS file using cakewalk. the problem is the CONVERT14 forces the sample to sample no. 00, which is unacceptable for the ESI, and that's where it gets kinda messy.

got you guys busy this time, hu ?

Message 9/19             16-Oct-98  @  01:34 AM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

weasel

So if I understand, you're doing a MIDI sample dump through the SCSI card port to a parallel PC port? I couldn't do a MIDI sample dump through the MIDI cables myself, I figured must be because of my "to-host" cable setup... Anyway, mind if I ask how long it takes to dump say 10MB?

Message 10/19             16-Oct-98  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: ESI 4000 and Zip format

riot303

hi....
i think its the best boldawn, when you invest 150 to 200 $ to get that Adaptec SCSI
Controler ... with that think you get a direct connect between your PC and the ESI 4000.
And of course better transfer rates   ,,,,,
With Wavelab for example you can give the sample in individual samplenumber (1 to ...)

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)