aaa No shit, it really works!! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: No shit, it really works!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             24-Nov-98  @  04:26 AM   -   No shit, it really works!!

Bill

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I just overclocked my new Celery 300A to 450Mhz, and it really works! I mean, I pretty much knew it would with all the hype about it, etc... but it gives me great satisfaction to find it true for myself!

It's pretty damn fast, I'll say, and cheap - it cost me $500 for the MB, CPU, and 128MB of PC100 RAM. I love it. I opened up 8 tracks in CWPA8 and added 8 of the Cakewalk Reverb plugins and it didn't even shiver. Added a Chorus to an Aux send and sent all 8 eight tracks to it, one at a time. It was still pumping fine for about a min with all 8 tracks with reverbs and chorus sends in sync, then a screen update caused it to choke and die. Still, it's a 1000x's improvement over the 200 MHz board I was using before. It hauls ass at regular stuff too - instant screen updates, disk access is faster (cuz I finally have UDMA now), faster core memory, etc. Fuck'n A, I love technology!

Screen redraws were fluid and that's on my crappy old VGA card... CWPA was playing through nothing but a Gadget Labs Wave/4 too... Finally, I can put that tired old 200MHz overdrive (that I bought in January) to rest. That thing and Cakewalk did not agree with each other very well.

Well, all I can say, is it was money well spent, and (as of this writing), I would highly recommend the overclocked Celery as a cheap, yet powerful, upgrade solution for getting more tracks, etc.

cheers!

bill

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             24-Nov-98  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

astro

Yup... I did the exact same thing... and got the exact same results. This is indeed a very cheap, very powerful way of upgrading your computer. I've had my Celeron 300a overclocked to 450mhz for the last two months... with no problems to speak of.

Message 3/20             24-Nov-98  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

melon

Your CPUs are dying a slow and painful death. Wait 'til summer comes . . . . .

Message 4/20             24-Nov-98  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

kilo

what are the boards you're using... and what bus speeds?...

Message 5/20             24-Nov-98  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

jed

are you using an additional cooler or something?
and another question: if Celeron is that good is there any point to use PII? I mean is that additional cache that PII got of any use for audio processin? as far as i remember the main difference between these processors is that Celeron got smaller but faster cache

Thanks in advance

Message 6/20             24-Nov-98  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

astro

Melon: Even if it is dyeing a slow death (which I dont think it is)... I could replace my 300a twice and still not have spent more than I would have for a PII 450.

Kilo: Im useing an Abit BH6. These boards are perfect for overclocking Celerons since you can adjust the CPU speed and voltage from within the BIOS. No jumpers to mess with. And they're relatively cheap boards... got mine for $110.

Jed: No.. I'm just useing the standard heatsink and fan combo you're supposed to use with the Celeron. Lots of people get more powerful fans, but I havent felt the need to so far. Most benchmarks show the Celeron 450a to be as fast as a PII 450 for most applications. Its hard to say whats best for most audio applications. Like you said... the Celeron has less, but faster, cache.

Message 7/20             24-Nov-98  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

99devils

I don't have any experience doing this with Celerons, but I once overclocked a 75 Mhz Pentium to 100Mhz, and everything seemed to work fine for a month or so, then all hell broke loose. I'd recommend against this!

-Craig

Message 8/20             24-Nov-98  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

Bill

I got the Abit BH-6 MB too. I have to say it looks like a quality product too - lotsa features (all the latest), and for the price, I don't see how you can beat it.

BH-6 main features:
* 100 Mhz FSB for PC100 RAM
* 4 PCI slots
* 1 ISA slot
* 1 PCI/ISA slot (can act as one or the other)
* 3 DIMM slots
* Built-in Dual UDMA IDE
* Built-in USB
* Jumperless board - everything's switcable in BIOS - easy!
* Chip-Upgradeable Award BIOS
* Soft-Switch power-on/off - BFD, but kinda nice

I paid $100 for mine from www.minotaur.com. I recommend those guys too - they're responsive and they will pre-test your Celeron at 450MHz for a 24 hour soak for an extra $20, which I decided was a good deal for the insurance...

No extra fans, no twiddling jumpers, no bullshit at all, just put the processor on the motherboard, change one setting in bios (the FSB speed) and you're up and running at 450 MHz. Basically, the Celery has a locked bus multiplier of 4.5, so when you set the Front Side Buss to 100 MHz, it derives a 450MHz clock for itself.

What's cool? The motherboard has an onboard temperature sensor that tell's you how hot it is getting, so you know if your Celeron is overheating, so you can take extra measures to cool it, which I don't need to cuz it runs fine as is... And if it blows up next summer, for $150 (probably cheaper by then), I'll just by another one! I'll still have spent less than if I bought a PII 450...

Bill

Message 9/20             24-Nov-98  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

I once overclocked a P90 to 120 Mhz and this still works fine.

But keep in Mind, that not every Celeron 300A Model is capable

to run at 450 Mhz. Even when itīs the same "Model".

So, lucky testing :-)

Holger

Message 10/20             24-Nov-98  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: No shit, it really works!!

melon

Somebody told me this: When the CPUs are graded, they are examined for localised hot-spots at various clocking frequencies. These hot-spots are mega-tiny, and no amount of heat-sinking or blowing can cool them down. If the CPU is not within certain tolerances at, say 450MHz, then it gets tested at 333MHz or whatever, and if it then makes the grade, fine. The hot-spots almost certainly cause parts of the chip to age abnormally quickly, eventually resulting in failure. But like you say, if you're prepared to purchase a new CPU when the time comes that's your decision.

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)