aaa Recording guitar - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Recording guitar

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             21-Sep-98  @  05:48 PM   -   Recording guitar

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

As a related thread to the "off-topic" thing, who here records guitar? How do you do it? Do you mic? Use a speaker simulator? Processor?

I record guitar using mics and direct off my processor. Usually for mic'ing I'll close mic the cab.

Anyone use any alternate methods?

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             21-Sep-98  @  06:54 PM   -   not off-topic at all...

skul

i've been using a SansAmp for a while now with good results. but i really need to learn to properly mic my amp, cos there's some tones i just can't get with a simulator.

i've recorded direct thru a desk before and it sounded like utter shit - all tinny and flat. speaker/amp simulators are good investments, i think. what's cool is that some of the newer samplers have one included in the effects section (e.g. ASR-X and EX5).

the only other way i can think of off the top of me head is coming direct out the amp. no idea how that would sound. Johnson made an amp in conjuntion with Digitech that was really designed with studio use and direct recording in mind - bit pricey though...

Message 3/20             21-Sep-98  @  06:57 PM   -   oh yah, i forgot

skul

a cool used peice of gear to look for - the elusive Alesis QuadraVerb GT. multieffects unit with an amp simulator built in. cool sounds... i wouldn't pay more than $200 for one, though.

Message 4/20             21-Sep-98  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

shado

Link?:  Link

The only midi guitar processor that sounds close to an actual amp is the marshall jmp1.It's also got a great amp simulater built in as well. The sansamp is great for either shred or clean and has more control than the marshall but no character.The sansamp has a dedicated simulater patch but it's crap. For a REAL sound use a valve amp with an sm57 placed at the edge of the speaker. Crank to eleven and get the fuck outa the room. Dale

Message 5/20             22-Sep-98  @  01:42 AM   -   RE: Recording guitar

kilo

nah bollox. !!.. all racks are shite !!! :-).... i take an adat into a cheap reheqrsal room... crank it up full-bore... and record... take the adat home, and mix !!..... loud throbbing cabinet is the way to go if poss'.....

Message 6/20             22-Sep-98  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

fingers

at least three mics...close, then foot or so then 3ft or so...if more mics then take them further for some ambience if you want it/if the room sounds good...mix all yer mics to give one fat sound...even changing the close mics by a couple of degrees or inch one way or t'other will make a BIG difference...set it up...try it...change it...experiment with mic types...

~:¬)

Message 7/20             22-Sep-98  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

David

Even the cheap Mesa Boogies sound great through their
recording out jacks, really convincing cab scream or clean. If you have the room to mic up a Marshall, try to find a Power Soak or get the Marshall thingy so you can stay in the same room with the amp. Use an sm-57 and listen to your individual speakers for which one to mic -they really do all sound a little different.

Message 8/20             22-Sep-98  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

99devils

I've found that, especially for the industrial thing, sometimes direct sounds really good throug a speaker simulator, with some EQing... Anyone seen/heard anything about the Line6 POD? Sounds like a box which contains their Amp Farm plug-in for protools... KMFDM rave about the plug-in, and the POD is only like US300... programmable via MIDI with like 12 amp models...

Sounds interesting.

-Craig

Message 9/20             22-Sep-98  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Recording guitar

shado

Link?:  Link

yep kilo is right all racks are shite although he deeds to listen to the jmp1 as this is the best of the midi controlled units. It's a tradeoff though. Convenience live over musical purity. I make a living as a cover band player in Australia and need flexibility at the push of a button. I can get this thing to cook however at a descent volume and I record it with an SM57 into vs-1680 which is better than spending hours fucking around with a PC that still wants to be a word processor. For the ultimate sound however nothing beats a non mastervolume Marshall or an AC30 or old twin or some of the new A class reissues.Dale

Message 10/20             23-Sep-98  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: Recording guitar

rouge

An amp simulator does the trick for me.
I use some Zoom stuff for that - its quite versatile - the acoustic guitar sim is a load of shite though!

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)