aaa Does VST really work on a PC? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Does VST really work on a PC?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             23-Jul-98  @  08:40 AM   -   Does VST really work on a PC?

arpo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've been "evaluating" Radiums latest crack on Cubase VST 3.553 and it doesn't work. It freezes every 10-30 min. So I consider to buy the original. But I've heard that it doesn't help 'cos it doesn't work either? What do you think. Is it worth buying? What should I use instead?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             23-Jul-98  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

kilo

2 choices..... find someone who does have a working system...... go and see it work...all day..... and do a midi timing check on it..... get a list of the config of the pc... build it... and even then , it may not work... it seems that vst on the pc likes only certain hardware.... the gina seems to work ok... but there are folks with it going on other systems too....... best advice..... get a cheap old dx pc or above... and use that as the sequencer or an atari 1040 with cubase... sync up the vst on the powerful pc...... with a midi cable from sequencer pc out to audio pc in... run the other vst machine as audio only... or another audio proggie whatever you choose.... or try cakewalk on your machine... it's the only s/w sequencer of the biggies written on the pc platform from go..... and it shows..... VST needs some serious work, but i reckon S'burg are going to leave it behind for the pc..... the mac version for V4 is out... note no pc version......... it's ok for some music... but i dunno... it's a 30/70 chance against to get a pc version going with rock solid midi timing...

however... i'm going to try to get a config that does work... to my complaining bastard standards... cos i'd like to sell vst systems when dancetech starts to retail... .. if i cant get a config that i can 1000% guarantee to be solid.... that i would consider working with..... i wont bother.... no matter how much money can be made selling systems with it.....

i have a major pc manufacturer willing to take the s/w and do lab tests with hardware until we either give up... or get a hardware list and config that works... ....i expect 16 audio tracks... and totally rock solid midi timing... as a minimum figure... otherwise, i'll forget it.....

no offence to steinberg.... they do some good stuff...... but..... sorry...... it aint good enuff in my opinion to release a so-called sequencer that cant keep time in the MAJORITY of systems... sure we can accept a minority of bad cases... but not like it is now.....

if this sounds harsh..... sorry.... Clemens reckons he's got a 100% solid system... he posted the specs over in the cubase chat area.....trouble is... you have to spend a grand before you find out if it works... if it doesnt... tough.... keep spending, changing, upgrading etc etc....

i'm gonna try an NT system as well... but who will pay ?... cos it'll add 300 quid to the price for the OS...
by the way...... 3.55 crack ??... blimey..... it's just so frustrating.. i hve no probs with the audio side at all...... that aint the problem.....

try the cakewalk demo.....

Message 3/21             23-Jul-98  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

arpo

What about using Cool edit pro with a working sequencer proggy? Has anyone tied that one out?

Message 4/21             23-Jul-98  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

sir dick

Kilo, You'll find NT is slower for audio bit's and bobs. It's more stable, but as NT implements s/w multitasking it's actually slower.

Message 5/21             23-Jul-98  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

The Pimp

My dad works for a TV station around here and Steinberg makes alot of the stuff they use so when the music department there wanted a new sequencer they got Cubase VST on evaluation from Steinberg. They have PC's in the music department cuz all their Macs are used for video stuff. Anyways they tried everything to get it runnging right and it wouldn't. They went to Cakewalk. They haven't had any problems since. I'm sure Cubase works on someones machine but any buddy I know who has tried to run hasn't been able to use it properly yet.

Message 6/21             23-Jul-98  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

apro, did this crack have wavelab and rebirth and a load of other stuff too?

Message 7/21             23-Jul-98  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

Clemens.Kurtz

Hi!

What should I say? It really depends on the HW AND Software- stuff, running on the VST machine.

Maybe its because I have only VST, WaveLab, EasyCD PRO, some little midi- and audio utilities running on my "Music" PC.

In some cases its possible to adjust the timing behaviour of the system when doing some optimizing jobs within the ASIO setup. But some systems stay "dirty" in combination with VST.

I do have no trouble with sync/ timing, but it MUST BE the major job of Steinberg to stabilize VST timing.

Ciao

Clemens

Message 8/21             23-Jul-98  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

Browngirl

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I was gonna get VST tommorow... I'd been planning to get it for ages! Now WHAT?!??? What am I gonna do NoW?

I've got the VST demo and the timing seems to work okay with my Terratec but it does crash all the time and I have to re-install it (the demo) all the time... what does this mean?!? I have no idea!
Shall I get VST then? Yeah, it does a perfect machine-gun drum roll. So does this mean the timing is OK?

Help!

Message 9/21             23-Jul-98  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

Browngirl

No, I'm totally wrong! In Denial! The timing works with my original version of Cubasis but NOT with the VST demo!

I'm used to the Cubase format so what am I going to do as an alternative to VST? I was looking forward to using them Audio plug-ins! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

Message 10/21             23-Jul-98  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Does VST really work on a PC?

Browngirl

Sorry about this .... i'm in Dire Straits!
Whats the timing in Logic like?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)