aaa Sluggish windows 95 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sluggish windows 95

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             06-Sep-98  @  06:28 AM   -   Sluggish windows 95

john

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My computer is sluggish now. It takes windows longer to
load. It takes soundforge longer to load, the same with cakewalk 7 and
other programs. In cakewalk when playing a song it sometimes stops.
There is a lot of harddrive activity going on. It takes longer to load the bmp images
of wav files in cakewalk. It takes longer to run java in netscape.
The only tsr programs loaded in the little box in the taskbar are Sndvol32.exe thats the
windows 95 mixer, My Gina mixer, and my Diamond Stealth display settings diamond.
Every thing like this worked great for a long time. Now its slowed down....
What the is going on here???
Any ideas of why.. any solutions??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             06-Sep-98  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

hakerboy

The good news is you're not the only one. Windows blows, and that's a fact. Keep in mind that the more programs you install, the slower is usually gets. If there is a lot of disk activity, you might want to defrag your hard drive (you're really supposed to do it from time to time) to organize the data on the drive. You should also check how much free space you got on your hard drive, if you don't have much then windows doesn't have room for a swap file. How much RAM do you have? Windows 95 needs at least 32 megs to perform acceptably.

Message 3/23             06-Sep-98  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

kilo

perhaps your c drive is filling up....windows like a good 200mb free to be able to work smoothly....

Message 4/23             06-Sep-98  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

rouge

Its probably got something to do with your device drivers and definitely a filling up (or full) hard-drive.
I just re-wiped my hard-disk - I've done so about 12 times since Xmas - and at first it was quick but my PC is rammed with hardware and about 2 to 3 gigs full so it now takes about 5 minutes to boot up.

This is mainly to do with the amount of drivers I've got running my soundcards though.

Message 5/23             07-Sep-98  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

John

I guess that may be the problem. I am running low on hard drive space like 198 megs or so.
I have 32 megs of ram and I have many audio programs , some I don't need.
I probably need to do some cleaning up of stuff not being used and clean my audio scraps
with cakewalk there is like 700megs of scraps now..

well thanks

Message 6/23             07-Sep-98  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

kilo

fer gawds sake man... get some more ram !!... at 25 quid for 32 mb what is the point of pratting about with a bare minimum ?... bump it up to 128mb or at least 64....

Message 7/23             07-Sep-98  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

Kelaperse

What's the deal with Windows registry? I've installed loads of programs to my computer. At first I directly deleted programs I didn't needed. Then I heard you should do it in Control Panel. So these directly deleted programs still have their information in registry. Is it bad? Does it slow down my computer?

Message 8/23             07-Sep-98  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

kilo

get a copy of regclean.... or whatever ...there are plent of progs out there that'llclean out gumph from your registry...

Message 9/23             07-Sep-98  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: Sluggish windows 95

Richie

Cleansweep is pretty good for tidying up the crap of your drive, or you could get another drive and keep that one just for wav files, you do need at least 48 meg for windows to run happily (well begrudgingly at least). Cakewalk 7 and soundforge run about 4 times quicker on my system since I upgraded the memory.

The best thing about windows is that it keeps IT technicians in jobs! :-)

Message 10/23             07-Sep-98  @  06:59 PM   -   RAM

rouge

I'm considering upgrading on my RAM - while its cheap - (its going back up in price now I think) but I already have 64 mb SD DIMM RAM so whats the benefit of going up to 96 or 128 megs?
Anyone?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)