aaa ghetto rig - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ghetto rig

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             19-Dec-03  @  05:28 AM   -   ghetto rig

broken silence

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

howdy,

okay since my mixer's deader than chandra leavey, i'm gonna have to do a really weird signal processing chain...and wanna know if i would have any problems doing so. to hook up all my synths to get to one out put, im thinking of hooking them up in this way:

JP-8080 Output-------->Nova Input

Nova Output------------->Virus Input

Virus output------------->soundcard ins

so would that create any delay or have any problems? gonna have to rough it like that till i get a mixer lol  

Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             19-Dec-03  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: ghetto rig

queasy00

Link?:  Link

what happend to your mixer anyway? did it just die all of a sudden?

-j

Message 3/25             19-Dec-03  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: ghetto rig

Broken Silence

yep...one day it just decided to poop out...it randomly just clips off...no explanation for it too...it'll clip off during use or when its just sitting there not doing anything. all behringer could come up with was "is it ventilated properly" and it is..but i dont think it's worth shipping all the way to CA- i'll prolly end up spending more on shipping both ways + repairs than i did for the mixer

Message 4/25             19-Dec-03  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: ghetto rig

GrooveMonkey

Link?: Link

Erm.. I think it will prolly cause a few probs...

Mainly with levels coz the first signal in the chain will be amplified more than the next and so on.

Though you could control it all with midi volume messages I guess

The other prob is can you route the audio in and out of each synth without going through the synth itself (i.,e the filters etc etc).

you may suffer a weeny bit of lag but not a lot, hardware synths have incredibly low latency so you should be ok.

Why don't you just get a really cheap small mixer like a folio notepad or something that would make life easier till you get a new desk.

G

Message 5/25             19-Dec-03  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

k

yeah or use this opportunity to get a multi-IN soundcard and mix it in S/W, monitoring via the stereo card OUT L/R

Message 6/25             19-Dec-03  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

Yonce N Mild

It should work fine, I did it like that for a while before I bought a mixer i had a multi in soundcard but only 4 ins so I had my rm1x running through my asrx and my cs1x running through my ea1. There is a little bit of a creative advantage to it in that you come up with diffrent uses for the effects on all your gear and I had a ton of fun running the cs1x through some stomp boxes and then through the ea1's filter. No replacement for a mixer but it will work and it's no problem to control the volume with midi or just by (gasp) turning the volume knob on your synths.

Message 7/25             19-Dec-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

Broken Silence

Yeah cheap would be my selling point here.

Have any of you used Delta 1010LT? it's 8x8io on RCA jacks (break-out cable)...looks a bit sketchy, but don't understand why it wouldn't work well...any opinions on that?

Message 8/25             19-Dec-03  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

Yonce N Mild

I've always been happy with my m-audio products, and there is nothing wrong with rca jacks.

Message 9/25             19-Dec-03  @  03:34 PM     Edit: 19-Dec-03  |  03:35 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

BluStudio

Couldnt ya just go get a Mackie1202vlzPro - would be cheaper than a new half decent soundcard!

I bought a maxiStudio 8x8 card with the breakout box a few years back, worst thing i ever bought in my life- spent more time fixing/configuring than i did playing thru it. M audio budget stuff prolly sound but my experience defo makes me wary about cheaper Multi -in cards.

Dunno how those percussive envelopes would sound thru it right enough

blu

i spose tho, if you were serious about THE jump, and running a 2408 then now would be the time............

Message 10/25             19-Dec-03  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: ghetto rig

xoxos

if you go check hyperreal you'll find schemos for a basic level mixer you ought to be able to build out of any old radio with 2 knobs on it.. or ~4ukp in parts.. hell.. you could just splice a few odd wires together and use your board output levels to mix  

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)