aaa making beats, pre vs postprocessing - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             22-Oct-03  @  07:54 PM   -   making beats, pre vs postprocessing

L$

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK, my method of making beats is to edit the sounds in soundforge first, SCSI them to hardware sampler, and build a beat from there. It's a fairly basic sampler (esi32) so I can't really do much with FX once the sounds are loaded. I'm quite happy with the results, but sometimes I wish I could stick a reverb on the hihats, or compress the bass drum once the beat is made. On the other hand, I feel I've learned a lot, in this way, about tweaking the sounds in soundforge to sound right from the start; and I have the feeling that needing to use post-processing on a beat is just covering up for a poor choice of sounds to begin with.

So I'm just curious: how do other people go about beat programming: do you do a lot of sound editing before building the beat? or is using VST plugins etc... on the actual beat channels an integral part of your sound? or both?

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             22-Oct-03  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

lsw

Ahhh scsi'ing beats to a hardware sampler oh it brings a tear to the eye.I used to work a
bit like that.Now its a case of load logic then plugin Phatmatik Pro, load a beat in press a
button and watch it split the beat up and then reprogram the beat in the matrix(key edit).
and repeat.ok breaks sorted now plug in in ritmo drum sampler construt a kit out of
single hit drum samples and program beat.As both of these plugins can be used as multi
output plugins i then can put whatever effects on certain breaks/beats i want.
post processing is not for covering up crap sounds, if its a crap sound it'll probably
sound crap when processed anyway.
i prefere post processing cos it always gives you the option of going back and changing
stuff instead of having to resample and what not.
My beats contain about 3-4 breaks chopped up and about 8-10 layers of programed
beats, i have found that this is the key to a full sounding mix.

Message 3/25             22-Oct-03  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

errata

Link?:  Link

I'm still doing it via sampler... I do much the same thing... but if I want to process a sound after it's in the sampler I'll just replace the current sound, or use two and alternate hits within the loop... when I'm working on breaks I'm never done, it can be weeks later and I'll think, "I want the first kick compressed a bit"... and I go back and rebuild it that way. I'm sure it's easier with software but I"ve been doin' it this way for years, and it's how I get things done.

I guess the secret is don't be satisfied with something until it's just right... don't be afraid to take out a hat sound and replace it with a better sample... I mean, just 'cause you have a loop setup doesn't mean you can't change it... that's what working with beats is all about. Tweak tweak tweak until it's exactly what you want...

e

Message 4/25             22-Oct-03  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

influx

but...how can you compress, etc before its actually in use? I mean..that stuff is relative!

Message 5/25             22-Oct-03  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

lsw

i was doing it that way for years too, my yammie A3000 was the heart of my
setup(minus computer of course).now its sitting on the floor all unplugged.
Its so amazing how using software for sampling needs speeds up my workflow
ie: replacing a kick drum the scsi way is:find different kick scsi it, setup in sampler (key
group,channel,output,blah,blah,then save it out). replacing kick via software:open drum
sampler,click on kick,brouse,select kick,sorted.
its not expensive either ritmo cost 16 quid and phatmatikpro 65.
yes tweak until its right but dont become obbessed which it so much that the project
doesnt get finished.

Message 6/25             23-Oct-03  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

errata

Not sure what you mean Influx...

If I want to put a little compression on Just the kick itself I do so in SF and then send it over to the sampler (A3k) and rebuild the loop with the new kick at the first hit (using the analogy above) or just replace the original kick I was using with the new compressed kick... truth is I used compression as an example (I like compressed kicks) but I mean that I tend to do this on a lot of individual samples, like a reverb on the second snare every 2 or 4 measures, for example... same thing...

And, as long as I'm playing out I just plain cannot use SW for all of my production. Easier or not, it's a HUGE pain to translate all of that into gear I can take on stage...

e

Message 7/25             23-Oct-03  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

influx

but...how do you know if the compression, EQ, reverb, whatever, will sound right _in context_

theres no way you really can. you cant audition it..its not part of the song...if youre just sending it to SF or WL and then sending it back.

Message 8/25             23-Oct-03  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

milan

Link?: Link

"there is no right. its whatever works" i think they used to say before they had unlimited processing power  

Message 9/25             23-Oct-03  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

L$

influx,
Are you saying you don't compress, or otherwise edit, your drum hits before building a beat? Where do you get the drum sounds from? I'm quite curious because your beats sound full and have a pro quality to them, and I thought the only way to achieve this was to eq and compress the sounds upfront (unless you use a sample CD where this has already been done).

Message 10/25             23-Oct-03  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: making beats, pre vs postprocessing

milan

Link?: Link

ahahahaha

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)