aaa Sample CD's - are they too expensive. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             30-Jul-98  @  04:49 PM   -   Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

£60 for the decent sample CD's, and £20 for the
short sharp mixed mode ones.

It this too much - I say yes - considering if you
have the time and inclination (and ISDN link) you
can download millions of sounds for (nearly)
free on the web !!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             30-Jul-98  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

kilo

well, the thing is, when an artist spends a long time compiling gathering and publishing their collection, they are giving away the copyright in most cases.... so it is not unreasonable.... ISDN is about 200 per quarter with a 200 installation charge, and download is expensive billing based on data packets.. so it is hardly if anywhere near free... and standard online time in alot of countries, will soon add up....... so it doesnt equate at all really... so you can have Bob Clearmountains drum collections or whatever, which with a decent sampler using multi-samples of say 8 for each drum or so, gives as near as dammit if you programme well, a real drum sound in your own home recorded at a top flight studio with £1,000,000 of desk & fx........ plus... you use a downloaded sample of something unique, release it, it becomes successful, and the next thing, someone is sueing your ass.....

Message 3/26             30-Jul-98  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

Purple Haze

I don't think those budget 'creative essentials' are worth their money. Ok, they 1/3rd the price of a 'normal' sample cd, but they also contain 1/3rd the amount of samples, and the samples themselves really aren't thet good or usable either (imho).
Then, on the other hand, a friend of mine recently bought a sample cd called 'robots and computers', which has a whole bunch of good, usable, high quality kraftwerk-like samples. It's the first 'full price' sample cd I got my hands on untill now, but it sure renewed my interest in sample-cd's as a source of sounds, and I can imagine that if you're into kraftwerk like music, this one would be worth it's weight in gold (well, allmost).

I must have downloaded about a gigabyte of samples over the last year (got internet at work, I schedule my downloads for the night and whammo... they're there next morning), and about 2/3rd of them are unusable (at least for me) because of the real bad, noisy sampling.

just my 2 francs

Message 4/26             30-Jul-98  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

Blunted

maz makes some good sample cd's for cheap....do a search or maybe the link is in da links sction

Message 5/26             30-Jul-98  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

kilo

those T&S XXXL are good value.... I think where the cd's score is like for stuff like guitar riffs etc if you dont play, and ahve no friends up to the job, whatever.... some are obviously crud... like the Jungle warfare cd... what a pile of toffee... by the way... do yoy know Time & space do a sample club online??... you can pay a fee, and try before you buy, then download up to a limit set by the payment.....

Message 6/26             31-Jul-98  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

replica

My own view is this :

Normal music CD's are too expensive (average now £15),
even the government thinks so, thats why they are trying
to encourage the industry to bring the prices down.

A band may take six-12 months to write and record
and album. Can the people who compile Sample CD's
say the same - Ok it takes a while too compile all those
sounds, but does that warrant £60 for the average
sample CD, (up to £100 for sampler specific CD's).

No way jose!. If they reduced the price I am sure they
would sell shitloads more - hence increasing their
profits,

Message 7/26             31-Jul-98  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

bill

Link?:  Link

copyright. sample cds, once sold, cease to bring in money to the artist that recorded them - no royalties from radio play, covers, film scores. plus they don't sell as many in the first place. normal cds sell way more, which means cheaper distribution networks, and the artists and records company make loads from royalties.

that's why they're a lot more. and personally, i'd rather record an album of songs than a cd full of generic but different samples.

Message 8/26             31-Jul-98  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

stephenb

To take this from another angle - Has anyone ever bought a sample CD that they felt was well worth the money? Any CDs that you couldn't have made your tracks without?

I've been thinking about getting a sample CD of vocal snippets, but put off by what I've previously heard - any suggestions?

Message 9/26             31-Jul-98  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

/\\/E/\/E

I used to buy a lot of them. I was using them at the time also. I never minded paying the price, but stopped buying them when I found that I had all the samples I needed,... well sort of.

Future Music and the Mix have some good stuff on their cover cds. Some of the gear demos for fx processors are good, because you can grab some guitar bits, or anything else.

Another thing, it's no good getting cds with drumloops when you can do a better job of it yourself. Most of the drumloop ones I've heard really suck big time. Especially those where they've programmed the drums themselves.

Message 10/26             31-Jul-98  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Sample CD's - are they too expensive.

kilo

what the fuck does the government know.... the UK music biz is THE most successful industry we have ... and generates more income for the UK than ANY other business..... and employs more people than ANY other industry..... the government knows fuck all about economics.... and i dread to think what'd happen if they start meddling in that industry after they and previous governments have already fucked up tha majority of UK industry, and ALL business people are at an all time low in confidence in their sad fucked up business & economic strategy....

It has no right to dictate to any private industry..... for a start, they should fuck off and scrap OFTEL..... then i can get a cheap 64K leased line, and FREE local calls will be FOR ALL... meaning free dail up all day & night...... but OH NO..... will they fuck, cos they've got a large shareholding in BT of about 50% , and seek to maintain a high share profile whilst telling the public, that it's to make sure of FAIR competition !!!.... BOLLOCKS IS IT !!!... sad two faced fucks that they are..... Blair & the rest of his sad shower can kiss my asshole..... although I'm sure he's to busy kissing Clinton's...
:
er... I'll take my tablets now.....

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)