aaa Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/26             28-Sep-03  @  08:28 AM   -   Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey,

I'm very pleased to anounce that I am done buying synths!

Well, now I have a different issue. I am very interested in wandering into a much more digital recording environment. Since I was looking to get a new mixer and soundcard (so I could use vst effects), I'm wondering if I could kill multiple birds with one stone and get some kind of godlike workstation thing. I don't know how else to explain it.

What I want: Something with at least 8 channels. 12 would be prefered. This thing should count as a mixing desk/soundcard that hooks directly to the PC. Realtime (midi) mixing of coarse. Eqing etc...basically a digital mixer and a soundcard all in one.

Does anything like this exist? Where could I find something like this?

The reason I am so interested in it is that I have realized that I don't need some massive mixer with a gillion inputs- just something for what I have. Also I don't want to get any hardware effects, and stick to software.

Oooh- and both PC/Mac compatible just in case I do sometime make the "switch"  

Thanks alot,

Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/26             28-Sep-03  @  08:48 AM     Edit: 28-Sep-03  |  08:49 AM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Look into the Tascam FW-1884. I've had the US428 since it's introduction to the market. Tascam's support is amazing and their implementation of the FW-1884 should be equally so. I drool. In a way, I'm glad I don't have the money right now.

Message 3/26             28-Sep-03  @  11:17 AM     Edit: 28-Sep-03  |  11:17 AM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

milan

Yamaha 01x, Digi 002, are probly the only mixers w. eq that connect to a pc.

then you have that Roland Si-24 i showed you last night.

or that Roland 3100 digital mixer with a r-buss card!!! thats what you're after dude i think. 12 channels(?), eq, compression, fx, and connects to the pc with one cable. hell, thats what i should be after, but i forgot  

oh yeah, its called VM3100 and you can only get it 2nd hand now.

Message 4/26             28-Sep-03  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

BluStudio

If you are going for quality now that you have the sounds locked down then, really, G4/5 running Digi001/002 or running a couple of Motu2408's direct with Logic.

You wont look back.

blu

Message 5/26             28-Sep-03  @  01:54 PM     Edit: 28-Sep-03  |  01:55 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Broken Silence

Mick: Exactly how many inputs does that US428 have? I can never get a straight answer from my searching...

Do you use that as your main mixer? Or do you have something hooked up before hand?

Message 6/26             28-Sep-03  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

The US428 has four audio inputs on TRS or XLR (no phantom power) and two audio outputs on RCA, very rudimentary but it works. It also has two MIDI ins and outs. I have a three sub mixers at different positions in my workstation and a 192 point patchbay. When I use hardware FX they tend to be integral to the sound so I don't have a problem printing with. Once everything is tracked to Cubase it stays in my laptop until I burn a CD. The US428 has bank switching AND in Cubase SX, unlike VST32, each fader will control a stereo track. In VST32, for example, if tracks 1 and 2 were ganged stereo then BOTH faders 1 and 2 acted on the ganged tracks. Since almost every synth I track is in stereo it was a bit of a waste. In SX, however, using the same ganged tracks as an example: fader 1 controls ganged stereo tracks 1 and 2, fader 2 controls ganged stereo tracks 3 and 4, fader three; 5 and 6, et al.

Message 7/26             28-Sep-03  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Broken Silence

So the US428 acts as a soundcard too right? what if I were to get the US428 and a big soundcard and use the US428 for inputs and control? Or does that not make any sense....

Cause Im leaning towards the US428...

Message 8/26             28-Sep-03  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

I would get a card from Frontier Designs becuase thats who is partnered with Tascam on the 428. Talk to someone at your sequencer's company, Tascam and FD beforehand to determine comaptability. I'll tell you, however, if the FW-1884 was available when I bought the 428 I would have bought the 1884. That's not a slag on the 428, it DOES work and its stable on my laptop which is the best compliment anyone can give a piece of gear these days. The 1884, however, doesn't appear to be something you would ever grow out of especially because of its scalability.

Message 9/26             28-Sep-03  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Look at this!!!

Message 10/26             28-Sep-03  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Kill a flock of birds with 1 stone

Broken Silence

Yeah I dont think that 4 inputs is gonna cut it- bit of a price jump tho, eh?

Yeah that really does look juicy...I think I'm gonna have to save a bit then jump on that one. Thanks alot Mick for all your help with my decision process!

Andrew

PS: With the FW-1884, can you use 1 slider to control inputs 1+2, etc? Or do you have to use 2?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)