aaa stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29             18-Sep-98  @  03:20 AM   -   stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

xoxos

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

15 hours and counting...

xoxos.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/29             18-Sep-98  @  05:38 AM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

influx

I....just....cant....do...it! They....sound....so....damn....goood!
Powered or no?
I wanted those things so bad, but my wallet said, "Get something cheap you stupid fuck" so I got some sony bookshelfs at Circuit City for $60 for the pair and they sound DAMN GOOD for the price...think about it
I was gonna pay $300 for the pair of Events...that leaves me $240 that I a)wish I had, and b)could spend on some effects if I did!

tell us if you get them so I can be jealous! (but then again I will still be able to buy my own guiness tonite...how bout you after you buy those fuckers?)

Message 3/29             18-Sep-98  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

Hilevelt

Consider the Triad. I have the 20/20's and love 'em, & used to have the powered ones, but the Triad a) extends down better for lows and b) fits very nicely on a desktop around your monitor. 20/20's are BIG!

The best is normal 20/20's w/ a sub (my kit).

Message 4/29             18-Sep-98  @  07:47 AM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

influx

Yeah, and ol hillys shit sounds BIG!!!!! BIG!!!!! BIIIGGGGGG!!!!
But then again-good speakers would sound, uh, crappy with a crappy amp, too, right?....bottomless fucking pit this!

Message 5/29             18-Sep-98  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

xoxos

well i will then. it's the unpowered, although just in case i decide to wait on it, here's my other consideration because $300 (i hope that sounds right with the salesguy..) is a fair amount for me. i also considered the polkaudio rt7 home bookshelf speakers, which sound nice in the store, and have about the same price range. they give me 35Hz-26k as the overall and 49Hz-25k as the -3db, but my level of education works much better with a pretty freq. response curve, which they don't furnish. in fact they got mad at me for telling them they suck because of it. fancy that. who's got time for guiness?

xoxos.

Message 6/29             18-Sep-98  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

Link?:  No link

MAKE TIME FOR GUINESS, AND IT WILL MAKE TIME FOR YOU.

When you get those, I will be jealous.
what ya gonna drive em with?

Message 7/29             18-Sep-98  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

xoxos

with frustration! sold out. well forget the polks. what a hassle to get decent specs.

looking at either the 20/20p (powered) 20/20 directs (unpowered) or the tria 3-piece thingy, since i'll have at least a week more to save in. i want to see if the powereds sound better and might begrudgingly engineer the space for the floor unit on the tria if it's worth it. otherwise i have a sony home stereo de325 ($200) amp which isn't anything special in case anyone has an opinion.

i really am just going to have to wait until they've got all three in so i can compare side by side. if the directs aren't so bad, thats a few hundred i have for cocoa pebbles (guinness my style.)

still haven't heard a single event system, but i checked out the freq. curves at http://www.event1.com if anyone else is looking and i have to say those things are FLAT! so i am basically sold, if they ever GET ANY. however, the directs looked flat down to 40Hz whereas the p's rolled off at 50. but the ps respond to 40 whereas the directs do not..

hilevelt: i take it you currently use the directs and used to use the powereds (the p's not the 'biamplified,' which are another $100) and a non-event subwoofer? well i'm just mucking about. i'll post my selection when i get them, hopefully next week. and hopefully emagic will have shipped micrologic by then before i microlose it...

finally got the nord lead 2 in tucson. the ring modulation/fm deal makes me want to cry.. sweet mother of pearl.

xoxos.

Message 8/29             19-Sep-98  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

Hilevelt

nope, they were the biamplified's, & I sold them for only $500. Mint condition and they sounded BEAUTIFUL, but my studio has such bad acoustics that I just didn't see the point in owning them.

Flat as 20/20's are, my room just ruins it.

I've also got some jbl bookshelf types; I use them as mounts for the events =).

Message 9/29             19-Sep-98  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

Purple Haze

Link?:  No link

I don't know what it is in the uk, but imho guiness is totally absolutely undrinkable. Every time I go to london (at least once a year) I try a guiness, and every time again I regret having ordered it and I only get it down my throat because there's alcohol in there that was paid for...

Bought 2nd hand absolute 2's from a friend of mine who had to sell all his gear (and I bought it all hehehehe), but just sometimes switch to them as a reference. I had been using old, maybe crappy speakers before that were custom built for a famous belgian new beat producer about 10 years ago, and I had quite a clear picture in my mind of the sound I needed to get out of them to make my music sound more or less ok in different places and on different systems.
When I started switching between them and the absolute 2's, after a couple of days my mind got so confused that it seemed I had totally forgotten how the stuff I make should sound, and I succeeded in making something basically ok sound crap on everything I tried it on. Switched back to those old speakers and things sound ok again now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing what those absolute 2's cost new, I don't think I would pay that kind of money for them.

just my 2 francs worth...

Message 10/29             19-Sep-98  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: stop me from buying event 20/20 directfields

xoxos

umm.. is this a matter of you being thrown off by unfamiliarity with them, or your opinion that they suck? it's hard to tell  

xoxos.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)