aaa What is electronic music? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: What is electronic music?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/33             06-Apr-04  @  07:00 AM   -   What is electronic music?

casparproject

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

So I'm in the psychology wing of the uni I'm currently attending and a display on the wall catches my eye. The topic is something like "Cognitive function and listening to music." There's also a haphazardly placed pic of one of the Yammie grooveboxes on the page, which made me curious. In the first paragraph, I see what seems to be a very closedminded reference to Baroque classical music vs Techno. They refer to Techno as having "no real harmonic or logical construction." Holy shit, I think, where are these ppl getting this information. They try to back the statement up with another bald assertion "techno music is constructed for the purpose of mimicing industrial noise." The freakiest part is that there are references on this project. I'm going to try to find where they got this info, but this is in a post-graduate psych course. I can't believe they are saying this stuff.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/33             06-Apr-04  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

mcc>

Link?:  No link

i tried all night to get that gritty industrial sound and all i could find was this vaguely asian chant-like baroque figure....mesmerizing with a sweet bappity beat and beep.
i must be doing something wrong.

Message 3/33             06-Apr-04  @  08:26 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dubmunkey

techno having no logical contruction?!?!?!? wtf?!?!? whats the whole 4/4 thing about then?

greg

Message 4/33             06-Apr-04  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Steve Roughley

" but this is in a post-graduate psych course"

Aaahhh. They're academics. I wouldn't worry too much, especially as they're studying Psychology. It attracts a pretty fickle and quite often ditsy lot (not allways, but alot of the time). Dr Phil anyone?

Steve.

Message 5/33             06-Apr-04  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dub-munkey

yeah actually didn't think of that.....if i believed any of the acedmic music shite i heard at uni....

"there are only two types of listener: the rhythmically responsive and th emotionally responsive"

what a load of sh*t!

greg

Message 6/33             06-Apr-04  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Wee Willy Winky

Is it that electronic music is music made with electronics?

Message 7/33             06-Apr-04  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

dub-munkey

nah thats mains hum....

greg

Message 8/33             06-Apr-04  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

sitar

Link?: Link

Hehe! Casparproject arises from the ashes to post at DT! Look what it took to wake him from the dead.

That is ludicrous Caspar. That's like saying "all _______(fill in your choice of race) are ignorant because they don't join country clubs" or some such thing. I hope you can educate these people. Why don't you put up a display next to it. I'll even send 3 samples you can use.

1. Gorgeous classical music I've written.

2. Mesmerizing sitar I've played

3. One of many shit techno tracks I've written because it's difficult for me to get it all right as there is so much to understand on so many levels to write cohesive techno from scratch.

To give the moron a perspective throw in the first track of Orbital's Snivilization.

Message 9/33             06-Apr-04  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Broken Silence

I don't know about you all, but I'd shit on his desk..

See I hate my chemistry teacher so much and I've figured that a pile of poo on her desk would serve her right for giving us this tricky titration shit and shit we shouldnt have to know to pass chemistry.

So she teaches us stupid shit, she's gonna get a pile of it on her desk. If I got caught for it, according to my math I'd get kicked out of school. Thats why I'm paying anyone in my class to drop a bomb in the bathroom, in a bag, then proceed to empty the turds anywhere on her desk- 3 days before the end of the school year so she has to smell the shit when she teaches her last 3 days of class. Also I want her to have to talk to the class in a serious tone "Honestly guys, who took a shit on my desk?"

Fucking amazing. It's worth me paying 100$ to see that shit. Quite literally.

But see, you don't tackle such shitty things without having a game plan, like positioning, meals before hand etc etc. So I'm going to have a line of conestants, see their how they eat etc. Fuck knows, they might make it a new reality show on fox "The Mysterious Fantom Shitter- Who's shit's worth its weight in gold? Find out on Tuesday!" For positioning, you get paid more for what you do. If for example you leave a turd on her keyboard, thats extra cash. Because when teachers come back in the room, the first thing they go for is their computer---and what's better than sitting down to a nice lump of shit on your keys?

Anyways, back to the topic. Frankly, I'd shit on the professors desk if I could. Especailly with that comment, I mean come on...

Message 10/33             06-Apr-04  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: What is electronic music?

Jock

I'd take it all with a pinch of salt, some crappy thesis written by some c*nt of a student. Lets face it, the majority of students are completely clueless.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)