aaa help hookin-up midi - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: help hookin-up midi

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/34             22-Mar-04  @  12:17 AM   -   help hookin-up midi

RAzz

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I just bought a lap-top from my friend for cheap, ive always wanted to use one as a dedicated stand alone for synths, sampler etc.
I bought a firewire 410 for it, and now id like to sequence with it as well as with my other units. My problems is im not very good at midi. Here is a run down of my gear, id like to sequence with my mc-505 as the host "clock send" and have the rest just clock up, but not be receiving note signals. Using my s/w sequencer as a realtime recorder.
What should i set these to and how should i hook this up so it all works correctly?

Gear:

mc-505 (host clock)

firewire410 / laptop (synths+ sampler)

Q-rack Triggered by(pcr-30)

Indigo-C

SN2

digi001(pro-tools le)

midiman 4x4

psy and k...you helped me a lot on my last issue just wanted to thank you.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/34             23-Mar-04  @  02:01 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

thanx

Message 3/34             25-Mar-04  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

mcc>

what i fail to understand here is how you're going to get that virus c going via clock with no midi note-on signals?
does it have a sequencer built in?

what i love too is when a guy comes up with a big thanks once he's needing a new favor.
that's always works.

Message 4/34             25-Mar-04  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

* compulsary

cubase = options => midi setup == filtering

mcc : mc505 midi clock ==> (filter)sequencer ==> virus

i don't see the point tho'. if your pc is not up to the job midi wise, feeding it clock from the 505 ain't gonna magically improve it's performance.

what's a pcr-30 ?

wait a second. y ou bought a super nova 2 and can't figure simple midi connections ?

HOAX !!

:p

Message 5/34             25-Mar-04  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Link?: Link

Get Cubase or some other sequencer. Forget the 505 as a master.

Message 6/34             25-Mar-04  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

k

mebbe he wants to use previously created MC songs, and likes working with it and wants the lappy just as a sync'd audio multi-track

?

sounds reasonable

Message 7/34             25-Mar-04  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

cydonia cell

The reason you're not getting an answer is a LOT depends on what the 505 is capable of, midi-wise... and it's going to take someone with a 505 to answer... I had one for a couple of months a few years ago... as I recall you can go into tthe MIDI menu and tell each channel NOT to transmit MIDI. And then tell the global MIDI menu to send clock out. I don't know how to do that anymore, but that's what you'll be doing. That way your 505 won't be "playing" the other gear. Then in each bit of your kit you'll have to find how to tell it to sync to external MIDI... gear manufacturers don't get together on this stuff so the process is different on each bit of gear, but the result is the same... and in each manual there should be something on "sync to external MIDI"!!! But you HAVE TO tell the 505 not to send on a specific channel or it will send notes, and I can't recall a piece of gear that can but won't respond to note on info, that's pretty fundamental... so you have to do it at the 505! And I'm pretty sure that you have to do it oon a performance by performance basis, it's not a global parameter.

I won't even go into whether this is a good idea or not... you've got your reasons I'm sure, and I can think of a few good ones. Just because one fool likes cubase doesn't mean all the other fools do... stick to what works for you, unless you like something better.

e

Message 8/34             25-Mar-04  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

mcc, i thanked them before also when the initially helped me.

I appreciate there patience, im kinda new to this and feel stupid at times. It takes a diff. kind of person to be helpful without being negative or throwing out remarks.

Im just trying to learn thats all.

Message 9/34             25-Mar-04  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

RAzz

I dont see why everyones getting on me. YES i bought a supernova2 because(which is really not your business) but because I LIKE IT! and I CAN!

because i ask a midi question procludes me from buying one...i dont see the rationality there. how old are you?

K, i dont see the big deal either.

K, Cydonia Thanks.

Message 10/34             25-Mar-04  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: help hookin-up midi

k

so is ANYTHING going to be triggered by the MC505 apart from clock?

or will you simply clock the pc lappy to the 505 and sequence everything from the lappy?

if so, that's not hard, but an odd methodology

however, you want EVERYTHING to clock to midi?... not just the lappy with cubase, but ALL the hardware items too?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)