aaa Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/35             20-Aug-98  @  05:02 PM   -   Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Alex

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

you all know very well that all the techno songs have common drums/hihats/basses/pads. Please guess which instruments (synth/samplers) are mostly used with playing techno and tell please which you use... My opinion: Drums/hihats/claps-TR,
basslines: kinda Moog, pads: I use Korg N264 etc. Thanks in advance...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/35             20-Aug-98  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

It really depends on how you define "Techno".. I mean, the term can be really broad, or very narrow.. For instance, when rockers ask me what kind of music I make, I tell them "Techno" because I've learned from getting blank stares after saying.. "I don't know, it's kinda breakbeat, kinda trip hoppy slow funk, with a little 4 on the floor for good measure" .. But guitar people will know what you mean if you just say "Techno" ... "Oh, that machine music that fags dance to." Anyway.. But, when I think techno, I think Detroit Techno - Derrick May, Juan Atkins, etc.. So, really, what are we talking about here?

Message 3/35             20-Aug-98  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Andreas

Doing techo/eurodance(trying to do commercial) with a friend. We use Roland JV-1080 for acoustic instruments. Yamaha Cs1x for synth lines, it's great and cheap!!. Gigasampler for sampling. Don't have an drum machine but alot of drum samples like 909/808/707/606/505..... but almost only use the 909 samples. Soon I will have a Sh-101 and a Moog Prodigy (don't know that much about the Moog Prodigy), probably going to use the Sh-101 all the time for basses. Use ReBirth for TB-lines, but not that much. For downmix I use a Roland VS-880 and Samplitude Studio. Not much but it's enough to get it to sound as we want to.

Message 4/35             20-Aug-98  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Alex

Many thanks Sedusa !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Techno for me is: dance ideology + electric musical instruments. No doubt your're cool techno guy... I know Derrick May's music very well... The thing I want is just to know which gear is mostly used in techno/trance style. Cuold you tell me please ?????

Message 5/35             20-Aug-98  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Sedusa

Well, the XOX gear's always been popular.. HMm.. Detroit shit, Like on Derrick May's stuff you hear a lot of 808, the DX100 (WIth the special filters, I know), and that was probably most of it.. Early techno was real heavy on the FM.. Trance? I don't listen to that much trance, really.. I'd guess that the SH 101 gets used a lot, But, really, it even depends on what kind of trance we're talking.. I mean, Trance, Hard Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Goa.... So many offshoots with their own variations on a theme.. ANd I'm not the world's best genre trainspotter, either.. Let's see if a real trance head will come in here and fill you in.

Message 6/35             20-Aug-98  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

dani2

What special filters do you speak of ? Sorry never heard.

Message 7/35             20-Aug-98  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Sedusa

Legend has it that Ol Derrick put Matrix 12 filters in his DX100.. Kilo knows all about it, but he's fucking around on holiday.. Avene knows the story, too, but who knows where the fuck he is....

Message 8/35             21-Aug-98  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Richie

If it's cutting edge you're after then go for the cheapest equipment around. That way you will allways be pleasing the purist type. Alternatively if you consider the purists are probably using 909's they bought for around 800 pounds then that all that is shit. My "techno" varies from dark minimal to full on acid noise, so my equipment ?

Drum Station - 909 / 808 drums
Casio CZ-101 / Dirty bass sounds - resonant dirty sounds - cheesy claps / snares - bouncy basses
Bass Station - Detuned leads - acid - (mines broke so it's quite dirty)
AN1x - Wierd sounds - white noise effects - basses (it's fucking good at loads of different types of those),(I expect this thing can do most stuff but I have'nt had it long enough to figure out properly yet)
Samples - Anything and everything
I recently found out at work that because I told people I was writing techno they thought I meant that crappy chart pop type of music. I am still looking for a decent description that everyone will understand!

I'm glad people are still wanting to get into it. It seems there is a bit of an anti-techno thing going at the moment!

:-)

Richie.

Message 9/35             21-Aug-98  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

dani2

Richie are you from the states? I am also making creepy dark techno tracks would you be interested in trading some tapes? I cant find many people that make "darker type techno" except my friends in Detroit.

cya

Message 10/35             21-Aug-98  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Which sounds are same in techno... guess pls.

Sedusa

S'funny.. Techno seems to be holdimg it's own around here nowadays.. As opposed to when even ravers would say "Fuck Techno" .. But, god am I sick of acid.. SO many parties, so much crummy acid.. Give me a breakbeat for crissakes! (If they were spinning Detroit it would be another matter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)