aaa Free Software Sampler - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Free Software Sampler

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/35             06-Jun-98  @  05:20 AM   -   Shameless Plug

GreenMan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Shameless plug...but at least it's not for me. Check at the Software Sampler at http://www.signum.it/1100/1100.htm, FREE BETA. I am already using this thing every day in production. It's a detailed copy of the Akai S1000. 16 part multi, DirectX 5 sound, multiple output support, full Midi received, Midi Time Code / SMPTE stream support, and a shit load of other features. And the author Luca is as cool as hell (say hello to him).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/35             06-Jun-98  @  04:17 PM   -   Software Crazed

willjam4u

I have been a professional musician in the past for many
years. I have owned all types of gear but never any
software. Mainly because I did not have a fuckig
computer!...Anyway, I now have a 200mhz PC and
can now enjoy making the dance music I have always
loved but never could get rock bands to play..go
figure! Here is what I Have All Demos at this time):
Ensoniq Audio PCI Soundcard/Voyetra Audiostation
w/wave editor/Cakewalk Pro 6.0/Making Waves/
MellosoftronII/Hammerhead/Re-birth/Stomper/Vaz/
Rubberdiuck. My question is: Do I need all this crap?
I dont have time to fuck w/Midi and Dont have any
external controllers so is there anything wrong with
just having hanmerhead, making waves, rebirth and
my sound editor? I think it sounds great!

Message 3/35             06-Jun-98  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

jcluts

Nah... not at all. Hammerhead, Making Waves and Rebirth sounds like a great combination. I think there's alot to be said for simplicity and sticking to a few good programs and learning to use them well. For awhile I used nothing but Stomper and Making Waves. It sounded great and the simplicity let me concentrate more on making good tunes and less on screwing around with complicated gear and/or software.

Message 4/35             06-Jun-98  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

It's just the nature of technology...but good comments, as the best dance music has ALWAYS been made out of neccesity, and utilizing simple gear and concentrating on good tunes...several Detroit techno artists still won't leave their hardware sequencers...to each his own.

The Signum software sampler is VERY complex...you can top and tail individual samples from within, set them up in keygroups, span across the keyboard, trigger different samples based on velocity, etc. I have a complex (Too) midi setup and this is a great solution for me.

Besides the beta was free...

Message 5/35             08-Jun-98  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

What a mad concept, doing a software version of a hardware sampler. I downloaded it, and it seems pretty good... Only problem being, is that I've never been able to work out how to use them Akai S1000/S1100 samplers, and friends I've know who have have owned them never knew how to use them either. It's too bad they couldn't do an E4 or a K2500.. Burt then I suppose that would just use up too much CPU.

Message 6/35             08-Jun-98  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

sox

Link?:  Link

They need a software S-950 if they're going to do one that's user friendly. I've tried the software 1100 and it's not bad but like you said, you've got to be a rocket scientest to get into it.

sox

Message 7/35             09-Jun-98  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

Ok...think abstract for a second and then you will just start to see the possibilities of this thing...remember, it's a beta and not everything is working yet. When you really get into this program it's like a lightbulb goes on...It really is no toy and is very complicated, but TRUST me , your efforts will be rewarded. (Download the Akai S3200 manual, it helps as it explains a lot of the terms like keygroup, keyspan, etc.).

You get 16 MIDI-triggerable velocity sensitive channels, and by using keygroups and keyspans, you can assign a different sample to every possible Midi note number (think key on a keyboard) available (create an entire 909/808 kit). It also supports multiple outs for several different soundcards which is nice for mixing, fx, etc. Keyspanning is also great for multi-samples like piano and synths. Crossfade these and you can span the entire keyboard without sounding funny. (I have a lot of these 3-4 octave multi-samples, e-mail me for them)

Use a virtual MIDI routing device like Hubi's Loopback device...select this as one of your MIDI output ports in your sequencer (current track) and as MIDI input on the S1100...then pass the Midi on to say ReBirth. Use file/new/program and load your sample (eg. drumloop etc.). Highlite TESTPROGRAM and select DEL, confirm...now assign the newly loaded sample to a Midi channel, selected the output device, send it Midi note data and you'll hear the sample trigger. (Hint, a lot of field values are easily changed using the r-mouse button or arrow up-dwn keys). I do most of my work on the close-up Display screen.

Also, the sample editing facilities are quite complete, allowing you to top, tail and loop your samples (non-destructivly, the sample is never changed on disk). Nice for setting up programs to trigger different parts of the same vocal sample, drum loop, etc.

I have been helping to beta test this program for a few months now and if you have any questions e-mail me at bmead@tiac.net, I'll try to help.

It's really not for everybody, but if you're into MIDI and want to incorporate MIDI and Digital-Audio this is a great option. DirectX sound is the wave of the future...

Message 8/35             09-Jun-98  @  04:37 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

kilo

does it work now then ?... i couldnt figure it out at all... and there was no help files at all when it first was announced....

Message 9/35             09-Jun-98  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

/\\/E/\/E

Cool, thanks Greenman, you sound as if you've fully embraced this new software. I did realise that it could access multiple soundcards.. I just wish I had one of those multiple output ones. I'll grab that manual now, if I can. I tried the mailing list thing, but it didn't work.

I'd still like to see other gear emulated in software.. like a Prophet 10, Memorymoog, or even an MPC60/3000/2000?

Better still.. wouldn't an SP1200 or a Studio 440 be awesome, as long as they had the 12bit sampling. I'm sure they could do it.

Also, Waldorf have a D Pole filter plug-in for VST.. So, I mean, why don't they do a software Pulse also? I realise it wouldn't sound as fat, but it would still be nice.

Message 10/35             09-Jun-98  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Free Software Sampler

Greenman

A few tidbits to help with the frustration...

Work will be easier in the close-up DISPLAY mode (use page-up/dwn to toggle). The only thing I use the SAMPLER Display mode for is setting volumes...

Most knobs are turned to the left w/L-mouse btn and right w/ the R-mouse button. Or enter into a field and use arrow up/down keys, you can even speed dial by setting the cusor to the 100th, 10th or single decimal position (EX. |000, 0|00, 00|0,). The keypad is not functioning yet, but let the mouse set for a second over any button and a explaination will pop-up. Use Tab to learn all of the currently functioning fields (remember to r-mouse click, as you'll learn a lot of shortcuts). Not everything is working yet, so have patientience...but the program is finally stable, so it rarely crashes if ever.

Main selection buttons are located at the lower right in DISPLAY mode (small square push buttons) and the SoftKeys are right under the screen {F1}, {F2}, etc.

MAIN SELECTION BUTTONS -

SP - Select Program, this can be confusing but to get you started a PROGRAM can be a single sample or a group of samples, with different velocity and keyspan settings, (say multi-samples of a synth). Use this mode to load a program from the file menu. Select (File/New Program...) and load yerself your fave wave. Also use SP mode to set MIDI channel [MIDI] and [MIX] for level and pan. I use this screen to delete the test program AFTER I have loaded up my sample. Highlite TESTPROGRAM and select [DEL], [PROG] and confirm OK. Now these 1-cycle test waves (PULSE, SAW, SQR, SINE) won't trigger.

ES - Edit Sample - Once a sample is loaded this is where you can view the wave form [ED.1] and set start and end points (let the mouse rest over the L & R ends of the waveform box until it turns into a double headed arrow, then drag to start and stop points respectfully, you can also arrow key up/dwn in the assoc. fields to set points...). Zoom in and out to place the markers more precisely. Note [REC] in not functioning, this months' beta only plays back triggered samples...)

EP - Edit program, this is where you can, (1) assign multi-samples to different keys [KGRP], [SPAN] (Low and High fields are for MIDI note numbers) - (2) change the freq, and resonance of a sample!!! [KGRP], [FILT] - and (3) set the ADSR of a sample or samples [KGRP], [ENV1].

This should be a good start, more later...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)