aaa I need help arranging a house track - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I need help arranging a house track

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/36             23-Jan-04  @  09:58 PM   -   I need help arranging a house track

Mike Geary

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hope someone out there can provide me with some help . I have been slowly getting together a decent collection of kit and consider myself pretty competant with it . I produce house music in a sort of moody US style but i keep hitting on the same problem .
All the ingredients of each track sound great and i am always satisfied with what i can produce in terms of loops , bass , synth , samples . Problem is , when i try to arrange it all into the finished article it never seems to sound "right" . The tracks just never seem to flow like i know they should and by the time i have finished tinkering i have usually lost the original vibe that created the track in the first place. Any help or suggestions would be well received .
I know there is no template that works every time but i really am getting frustrated and maybe i look into things too much rather than keep it simple . I don't know but i hope you can help . Cheers

michael.geary@ntlworld.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/36             23-Jan-04  @  10:03 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

Possible aid: listen to stuff you like, note how it's arranged and try to do something similar. Once you get your head around the "bread and butter" of how arrangements are done (that you like), then you can take what you've learned about how other folk do it and apply it with your own spin/style....

Good luck!

Message 3/36             24-Jan-04  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Hydrofonix

What I sometimes do that really helps is don't listen to the track your working on at all for a couple of days. Burn it to CD and listen to it a couple days later when your relaxed, like driving in your car or lounging around your house after a couple of drinks (moderate amounts of alcohol almost always does the trick for me, weed is the same way but you by no means need these) Don't force yourself to critique the track, just listen and get into it. Usually my mind will just fill in the blanks and I'll feel how things should be arranged.

I know thats not a solid or logical solution but lets face it good music no matter what kind is about soul and soul cannot be formulated.

Hope that helps.

Message 4/36             24-Jan-04  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Influx

I always lay on the floor of my studio and just try to feel if it works.

and..like hydro said...the work kinda tells me what to do.

Message 5/36             24-Jan-04  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Hydrofonix

Link?:  No link

Haha!! Influx you do the floor thing too? I also find myself pacing around the room sometimes....

Message 6/36             24-Jan-04  @  08:11 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Influx

I used to. havent in a while. not sure why....not as connected with my tunes as I used to be...and theyve gotten a bit more static because of it.

I pace all the time, so..thats a given

Message 7/36             25-Jan-04  @  09:05 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Hydrofonix

Nervous??

Message 8/36             25-Jan-04  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

Influx

me? shiiiit.

anyway...try the layin down trick, man. dont think about it too much. just feel it

Message 9/36             25-Jan-04  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

xoxos

get high/drink a bottle of robitussin dm.. then you'll feel a bit unusual and perhaps not listen for the same things you listen for (ie. are proud of, like about it) and you'll be able to -hear- it since you're too busy feeling abnormal.

apart from that, i suggest stripping down the pitched elements until you've got a more rhythmic set and adding the harmonic components in diff. combos to see what works.. build the track around that progression, once you've got it to a successful 'energy build,' find out what you can drop/change to make it hit again.

Message 10/36             25-Jan-04  @  06:16 PM     Edit: 25-Jan-04  |  06:17 PM   -   RE: I need help arranging a house track

BluStudio

if your talking about folwing as in it sounds good all together but flowing in and out of the bits/introducing parts sounds harsh/abrupt then you could try somethings like-

drop the kick out and leave the hats/perc running while bringing in a new loop then build for 4 and drop the kick back in with the new loop

do a drop of the kick and most of the perc leaving a quick 1234 of a sample and reverse an echo'ed kick fade in then bang it all in together with the new part

anyhow mebbe thats not what you were after but just encase it helps- on my profile theres like 3 or 4 tracks with loadsa shit going on/in/out if that gives you any ideas/help- sweaty trance stuff but principles are there

try Dreams In blue, clawed or hi-rise

sometimes it helps just to keep it going even if the introduced sounds sound a wee bit odd and then when you have it all layed out do all the edits (sweeps/filters/side-chained gates etc whatever works) across the ends of the bars your going to be bringing stuff in on and it usually does gell together not so bad in the end

blu

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)