aaa JP8000 or AN1X - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: JP8000 or AN1X

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/38             29-Jul-98  @  07:13 PM   -   JP8000 or AN1X

Geek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

You heard! Pros and Cons? Anyone experienced both?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/38             29-Jul-98  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mindspawn

Link?:  Link

I tried out the JP8k, the Nord Lead 2, and the An1x. I went in the shops and sat there for four or five hours at a time, over the course of about two weeks. For my own needs, the AN1x was the best deal. The JP seems to have a more well rounded sound tweaking engine, but outside of it's filters, I did not see much of an advatage over the AN1x. The Nord stomped both filter wise (IMO), but the Nord's arpegiator was a little weedy. The AN1x has a bit of both, and is cheaper in most areas.

Best advice I'd have is to get down to yer local shop and try 'em. Really all three of these machines could do a great deal of work. I think it will mostly depend on yer budget and your own personal tastes. Alot comes down to the box you have an affinity for. Any of these, and many others, will make a wide variety of sound. Read up on them to make sure the one you choose will have all the bits you need (like sending arpegiation over MIDI, sequencing ability, sound storage, etc.) and then buy based on which one gives you the sound you're looking for, or a least the closest. A lot will come down to quirks, too. Like the strange little woody pitch (or mod) wheel on the Nord... interesting, but I didna care for it for some odd reason. Or the JPs sliders, which seemed stiff (which is the way I am about sliders in general - I dunna like them, Sam I am...). The more you poke at one, the more of these little 'quirks' you'll notice, and that can go a long way toward helping you make a decision that you'll be satisfied with.

Peace all

Message 3/38             29-Jul-98  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

kilo

i'm getting me SUPERNOVA tommorrow... so i'll widdle a tad with it , and it's also a contender.....

Message 4/38             29-Jul-98  @  10:43 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Rouge

You lucky bastard! (Green with envy)

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Message 5/38             30-Jul-98  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

bill

i've got an an1x (so i'll probably be biased) and have played with the jp8000 quite a lot. but not the nord. so the best point sof the an1x are....

first, the price. secondly, it has an amazing pc-editor by the same bloke (gary gregson) that did xg-edit - it becomes so easy to leanr about the systh and create new stuff - even down to a graphical cakewalk-style drawing in of controllers (you can have up to four controllers modulated by this as part of each note you hit - wicked for sweeps and stuff - almost get some of the wavestation evolving pads if you try hard enough, anyway....)

thirdly - as opposed to the jp8k, where you get a preset up and (from what i could tell) have no idea of the current value of the knob/slider that you're looking at (so for example, if resonance is set to 100 and the last time you used it you left it at 20, you can't find out what the value is), on the an1x you just push the knob (it acts as a button as well) and it displays the value of the knob - wicked for learning about sounds and editing them. this works in the "assign" mode as well - if you forget which knob you assigned to delay return you just press them and it'll say which parameter(s) it affects. wicked....

fourth, and i may well be wrong here, from what i remember of the jp, it only has delay and reverb???? must be wrong, but the an1x has cool yamaha effects - delay and reverb both top and the vari-effect (chorus/flange/phaser/leslie/distortion/enhancer/wah and more that i can't remember). so the fx are good. and of course, you can mix them in and out via controller data of even the internal free-eg (the thing i described above).

fifth, finally, my preference, it's solid and blue, there's a little lip on the right hand side ideal for skinning up as someone once said, it has an extra octave than the jp and its fun. but then they all are - as mindspawn said, its just the little preferences that make the main difference - and that's my list of them....

Message 6/38             31-Jul-98  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mr Qwaxz

The JP have that fuction to. Calling up the values.
And the FX´s is Chorous and aFlanger, phase effect and
no reverb but delay with panning long short or mono.
The JP feel like less than the ANX1 but I thought
the sound just was more solid. But look at the Kit lists
if you reed ......hmm...FM ..yes I confess I read it. and
the Nord is realy a muscians choice in studio and live.
But no FX . Nord sound so good when beeing used
in live perf. But one of my musicshops had the
Supernova 4 weeks ago but I hadent time to try it I´ll
go back and feel it....

Message 7/38             31-Jul-98  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Blunted

What about the prophecy??? Tis' a great bit o kit....
yeah yeah, I know it's monophonic....but it's still kewl and silver!!

Message 8/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

rwakelin

THIS MAY BE WRONG...

A friend of mine has an AN1x and says that it only
responds on a single MIDI channel, where multi-timberal
operation is implemented as keyboard split. Effectively
the two sounds can not occupy the same key range, which
strikes me a bit of a drawback. Can anyone confirm this?
(My friend's taken holiday to play with his new A3000...)

I don't know if your in the UK Geek, but noticed Turnkey's
"end of line" (this is news to me) price for AN1x from
current FM(75 p67) is 500ukp! So you could have two for
the price of a JP8000 or three for the price of a Nord
Lead 2. Surely this will put pressure on the s/h analogue
market, new AN1x v used Juno106... hmmm...

Anyway, confirm for yourself, 'cos it's funny somehow
(and I aim this at equipment retailers in general) that
good advertised prices were, "for a limited period",
"on a one-off/ex-demo unit" or "for the v1/unexpanded
unit"... when they get you on the phone.

Rich

Message 9/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

skul

finally got to play with an AN1x this weekend, and i have to say it's fucking cool. i love the layout of the thing - very easy to tweek and come up with crazy sounding patches.

i checked out a JP8000 way back when it first came out and was sorely disappointed. it felt like a toy - thought i would snap those cheesy knobs right off. progging it, for me, wasn't as intuitive as the AN1x. but that's jus' me, an i'm a little screwy in thee head...

both sounded fat, in a "no it ain't analog, but it's pretty fat anyways..." kind of way.

Message 10/38             03-Aug-98  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: JP8000 or AN1X

Mindspawn

To: rwakelin@twowaytv.co.uk

The AN1x can respond to messages coming on different MIDI channels IF it is NOT set to Single or Unison mode. In the Split/Split Unison/Dual/DualUnison modes each scene can recieve on seperate MIDI channels and can operate independently. In this way two scenes, or layers, can be played across the keyboard independently (if set to different MIDI channels) or together as a Unison layer (if set to the same MIDI channels).

Peace

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 38 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)