aaa Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/41             03-Sep-98  @  10:33 PM   -   Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi. A Sampler will provide me with adequate 909
BassDrums and Hats, right? I don't care if can't
mess with the parameters as much as on a Real 909 or Drumstation. I have only CS1x and the 909 samples are a bit weak.(I've heard this before from others as well. I would rather put my money
towards a sampler rather than a Drumstation.
Jon

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/41             04-Sep-98  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Richie

I have a drumstation but if you have choice between that or a sampler go for the sampler, make sure you get one with individual output though. You want to separate that kick from the rest of the sounds on your desk.

Plus with a sampler you can get some nifty kicks / sounds by layering kicks and stuff.

Message 3/41             04-Sep-98  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Alex

anything of emu will be kick ass... especially e-max, e64 e4...

Message 4/41             04-Sep-98  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

I guess having the bass drum on its own mixer channel is
very important, but what if I just EQ'd the Bass drum
Sample with Soundforge or any other sample editor?
I'm just wondering IF I'm gonna be sorry I didn't get
the multiple outputs. Jon

Message 5/41             04-Sep-98  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

Purple Haze

Well, if you get one with separate outs, you will be able to eq the kick realtime while your track is playing so you can hear at once if it fits or not, twiddle with it untill it's more or less what you want. Imagine having to dump the sample to soundforge and back to the sampler everytime you want to make some changes to the eq, you loose too much time, might get frustrated with it and wham, there goes your creative inspired moment.
Also if you put it on a separate out, you can also apply separate effects to it while your track is going, hearing how everything sounds together while tweaking stuff on your mixer.

go for a sampler with a bunch of separate outs if you allaready have a mixer, if not then still do it and save some money for that mixer or buy a cheap behringer one, you won't regret it (I didn't).

For your drum and percussion satisfaction, think about the roland W30, it's got 8 separate outs. Ok, it's got only 12 bits/30000Hz (or 15000 if you want), but some might see this as an advantage, and you can put a whole bunch of drum samples in the 1mb memory. It goes for about half the price of a 2nd hand S2000 with 8 extra outs around here. Just an idea.

Message 6/41             05-Sep-98  @  12:00 AM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

xoxos

Link?:  Link

the only links i know to them (unless kilo's got some to them) are on akai's page (under support) but if you get a sampler and download freeware like drumsynth or stomper it's a good start.

xoxos.

Message 7/41             05-Sep-98  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

rouge

For fucks sake! What do yoa want them 909 drums for?
They're the absolute shit! They sound totally pathetic comapared to a real drum-kit - you don't get any punch-in-the-face snares with a 909 kit. Zzzzzzzzzz

Message 8/41             05-Sep-98  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

kilo

er..... yes rouge..... take your tablets mate

Message 9/41             05-Sep-98  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

buggo

a 909 kick can be used to good effect to augment another kick...as an only kick, unless you're strictly four-on-the-floor, it doesn't really cut it...and the snare SUCKS!!!!

Message 10/41             05-Sep-98  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Will a Sampler Fullfill my 909 needs?

hmfoster

Thanks for the advice guys. I was planning on going for
something a bit more expensive. Right now I am so stuck
between the A3000 and the Esi4000(w/turbo board, of course) Somebody please push me over the edge.
Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 41 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)