aaa sampler as drum machine? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: sampler as drum machine?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/55             08-Aug-98  @  08:20 AM   -   sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've tried using the signum s/w jobbie as a drum machine, with my mc-300 sequencer...no dice. Is there any way on most samplers to get it to NOT pitch-shift a sample up and down the keyboard range? If, for example, my sequencer is programmed to play a kick drum on midi ch. 10 and the kick's note # is 35, then how do I get the sampler to play the kick sample, at the original pitch, no matter what note number it's at? Say I want to assign kick to 35, snare to 36, open hat to 37, closed hat to 38, etc........can I get a sampler just to play the samples without pitch shifting 'em? GRR!!

(Not just on the Signum thingy...I need to know if I can do this on hardware units, such as Emax or DSM-1, that are good for drums. While we're at it, what would you all suggest as a decent drum sampler for under $400? The emax, s550, DSM1, s900, etc. all seem promising...real-world tips anyone?)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

noteven

on my Akai S2800S there is a function called constant crossfade which assigns the original pitch to the entire keyspan (on the S2800S its PROG/KEYGROUP/SAMPLE under pitch CONST XFD) you might want to look for something similar, under editing the sample as a keygroup. As far as a cheap drum sampler i would say the Akai S20.

AKAI or die!

out...

Message 3/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

JAWA

emaxemaxemaxemax.

Message 4/55             08-Aug-98  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

daniel

i bought a Peavey SP+. I really asked a lot around here (tnx Hilevelt!) and i think it has an excelent price vs. benefits relation.

Message 5/55             08-Aug-98  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I like the Emax.. And no weird pitch shifting problems.. when i make a drum patch, every note is a different drum sample.. the only time the pitch changes is if I spin the pitch wheel, and if I wanted, I could disable that for ONLY the drum samples... I say "Emax!" with the hearty cheer of the obsessed fanatic.. Get the rack, tho, the keyboard model really is big and ugly. (Hehe.. And try to find a stock Emax SE with extra RAM)

Message 6/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

... wat you need to do is set the keyboard range for each sample to it's primary key only

Message 7/55             08-Aug-98  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

""... wat you need to do is set the keyboard range for each sample to it's primary key only ""

I tried that, but when you load 'em up they're all set at C! That's the primary key, so I can't have 'em ALL at that key!

Thanks for the emax tip....how much sampling time can you get out of them, at a decent sample rate?

Message 8/55             09-Aug-98  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

JAWA

Something like 18 secs at 28,000 and 5 or 6 at 44,100...... i think.....

Message 9/55             09-Aug-98  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

buggo

Ok, here's a spec sheet for the Korg DSM-1, which sounds like it would shit on the Emax...I WANT IT!!! Plus it sells for around the same price. (I've seen 'em from $250 to $400 US.) Whadda y'all think?
The DSM-1 comes equipped with a full 1-Megaword PCM waveform memory, for perfectly sampling even the most memory-intensive sound sources. This rich sampling synthesizer module has 16 voice polyphony, 16 individual outputs, and is multitimbral a maximum of 64 sound source split points, at the maximum sampling frequency of 48 kHz, the DSM-1 is capable of recording an audio frequency spectrum even greater than that of the hearing range. All elements of the instrument's design were engineered for optimal sound quality. The DSM-1 has a maximum sampling time of 64 seconds(over a total of 4 banks), and a built-in anti-aliasing input filter. Up to 512 samples and waveforms can be stored to memory. Wave editing functions include operations such as Reverse, Link Mix, Cross Phase Looping, Back & Forth Looping, View & Edit of sound data, and Pitch Adjust. The built-in synthesizer sound processing function provides 46 separate parameters, including such sound shaping tools as VCFs and VCAs.

And with the memory storage capability of up to 32 Programs and 32 Combinations, the DSM-1 is ideal for creating rich, multi-textured sounds - especially in live performance situations. The data of the DSM-1 is stored to 2-Megabyte, 3.5-inch 2HD disks, providing high capacity storage with exceptionally fast loading time. An optional SCSI interface is available through authorized KORG service centers.

DSM-1 SPECIFICATIONS * CONFIGURATION: 16 Voices, 16 VCF modules 16 VCA modules. * WAVE MEMORY: 1 Megaword. * SOUND SOURCES: Oscillator Waveforms created by sampling or by 128 Harmonic Synthesise. * QUANTIZATION: 12 Bit. * SAMPLING TIMES & FREQUENCIES: 16 Sec x 4 Banks~16 kHz, 11~5 Sec x 4 Banks~24 kHz, 8 Sec x 4 Banks 32kHz, 5~5 Sec x 4 Banks~4B kHz. * MAXIMUM NUMBER OF SPLIT POINTS: 16 per Multisound, 64 per combination (4 Timbres). * NUMBER OF MULTISOUNDS: up to 32 in internal memory. * NUMBER OF COMBINATION: 32. * COMBINATION TYPES: Single, Layer 2, Split 2, Layer 4, Split 4, Split/Layer, Multi, Manual. * NUMBER OF PROGRAMS: 32. * OUTPUTS: 16 Individual Out, Mix Out, Stereo headphones, MIDI OUT/THRU, HSI Jack. * INPUTS: Audio In Footswitch, MIDI IN. * POWER SUPPLY: AC, Local voltage. * POWER CONSUMPTION: 35W. * DISK DRIVE: Takes 3.5 inch, Double-sided, High density, Double-track (2HD Unformatted) FLOPPY DISKS: PERFORMANCE DISKS (For Storage of Internal memory) WORK DISKS(For Storage of Multisounds and harmonic data) and DSS-1 DISKS. (For Loading of DSS-1 data only) *ACCESSORIES: Floppy disks 4. SYNC/MIDI Cable. *AC Power cord , Rackmount adaptors, Voice chart, Parameter sheet.

Message 10/55             09-Aug-98  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: sampler as drum machine?

kilo

no mate... I meant the samples own primary key... so like when you sample... you have to assign a key to sample to... an actual physical note... from which the sample transposes up or down or both.... all samplers work like that in the whole, cos that is the principal of multi-sampling..... so simply assign the NOTE RANGE of each drum sample to be a single key/note

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 55 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)