aaa Industrial Fans - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Industrial Fans

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/64             15-Sep-98  @  01:49 PM   -   Industrial Fans

99devils

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just wanted to tell all the industrial fans here that the new Rob Zombie CD kicks ass... it hasn't left my CD player in two days!

-C

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/64             15-Sep-98  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

rouge

Anything happening with NIN?

Message 3/64             16-Sep-98  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

99devils

Not that I'm aware of. Personnally I think Trent Reznor is kind of an asshole. I dig his shit and all, but he doesn't seem to acknowledge the influence of everyone who came before him, nor does he seem to appreciate the fans of his music. He acts as if he created industrial from scratch one day, when bands like KMFDM were at it a long time before he was.

-Craig

Message 4/64             17-Sep-98  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

xoxos

Link?:  Link

my freakin opinion is that nin always was old hat. he ain't industrial, so much as popular rocknroll with industrial wallpaper. i went mondo electronica watching alain jourgensen roll down the street in a shopping cart for the 'over the shoulder' remix video when it was just released and being played on the local cable channel's subvert music show. heard new kmfdm on the akai page and the vocal process in 'megalo..' totally rips. they really gear it up every now and then ie. 'en esch' but there's a lot more 'then' in there than 'now' to me. the way i heard it, throbbing gristle are generally credited with applying the term 'industrial' to music, but then again there's that guy from the 1920's with the box full of chains and the orchestra.

to me, industrial is a mix of attitude and technology. the earliest stuff i can put my finger on that meets my qualifications would be t.g. and chrome, both circa 1977. i totally love pop now that i'm old :-) so hats off to trent and his pop themes and excellently written music, but it's just too accessible to really be industrial for me. the themes on his albums are totally different from what i consider to be the defining works of the genre, despite the timbral schemes. then again, i only heard the first three albums by nin, but i doubt there's been excessive deviation, otherwise he'd lose his whole programming base, right?

now i'm saying all this crap because as a specialized electronic musician, i like to know my environment. the earliest electronic i've heard was 'the way-in sound from way-out' (somebody should reuse that title..) 1950's. and of course lots of stuff in the 70's when the tech became available to a wider classificxation of artists. if i don't know shit about my roots, i wanna hear it. does anyone know that jamaican toaster guy who started teching up dub? he was featured on that history of rocknroll special.. wanna check it out. anyway, i totally recommend t.g. and chrome to industrial listeners. you brits should know t.g., but chrome is less popular, and i credit them with being cyberpunk before anyone else. no sequences, but tape manipulation and available tech manipulation with a truly industrial attitude. plus helios is pure dynamite.

xoxos.

Message 5/64             17-Sep-98  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

Sedusa

The Beastie boys already re used that title..; "The In Sound From Way Out" ... I love NIN.. Mainly because I spent my teenage years depressed   I don't really care what he is.. It's all just labels to me.. I know what you're saying about the Industrial attitude, tho.. And, yea, Industrial really does, for me as well, have more "then" than "now"

Message 6/64             17-Sep-98  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

buggo

define industrial. pretty-please with a cherry on top.

Message 7/64             17-Sep-98  @  06:22 AM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

xoxos

you know i really don't remember how t.g. defined it, but as said i remember they're generally credited with coining it. you can find out! at http://www.brainwashed.com. t.g. was the group that peter cristopherson (sp.?) of coil, chris and cosey of chris and cosey, and genesis p-orridge of psychic t.v. formed. there's a lot of work there (my fave is 20 great jazz-funk hits) to check out.
personally i use the term to imply industrial STRENGTH music, but you'll have to figure that one out for your self.  

xoxos.

Message 8/64             17-Sep-98  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

Sedusa

How to define Industrial.. Hmm.. Well, you probably know what industrial is, but.. I dunno, it's very obvious when something is Industrialesque tho.. Dunno if I could convey it tho.. Hehe, an easy formula for generic Industrial - sampled guitars, ultra sequenced synth parts, machine noise, distorted vocals, actually, distortion all around, drum machines that are often programmed in hiphop or techno patterns, yet lack the bottom end "Oomph" (Many is the time that I have heard industrial with a bump-sss-bump-ss-bump-ss-bump-bump-bump techno drum pattern, but done on weak drum machines where the kick doesn't bump, it clicks) Samples out of movies, often about the atrocities of war, screams, gunfire, etc... Hehe, this is all self effacing, as I used to produce the stuff  

Message 9/64             17-Sep-98  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

Richie

And no swinging rythms... Everything I ever heard seemed to be strictly robotic. But then I aint heard mutch

Message 10/64             17-Sep-98  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Industrial Fans

Richie

And no swinging rythms... Everything I ever heard seemed to be strictly robotic. But then I aint heard mutch

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 64 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)