aaa I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :( - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/66             08-May-02  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:11 PM   -   I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Why do people think I'm a DJ when I say that I produce dance music? The countless people that don't get it really pisses me off... Arrgghhh!!

I really don't understand how they can get the two things confused. They even think I scratch records!!!

I'm not just talking about just the totally clueless people, but even some of the raver kids get things confused.

Why is techno production such a dark and confusing art to outsiders??

And another thing is the 'Proper' musicians who look down on what we do seem to think that we just use presets and string them together. Maybe this is because their only experience of electronic music is those awful Yamaha PSR keyboards?

I took a real sceptic into my studio and showed him what I do - Write, Compose, Sequence, Record sounds, Route effects, create original patches, mix and finally master.

His head really spun and I think he gained a new found respect for me.

Anybody else feel this way?? Anybody??? Anyone??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/66             08-May-02  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Zink

Just venting...

Mooky.

Message 3/66             08-May-02  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

damballah

Link?: Link

why do you think raver kids aren't totally clueless? anyway, yes, I feel this way: I have new found respect for you, too. ;)

Message 4/66             08-May-02  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

Link?:  Link

There are a whole lot of producers who dj as well. Maybe most people assume that djing is part of the whole deal. Maybe it should be in a way.. cuz it's a good channel for exposure as an artist if you've gained any respect as a dj.

I know some dj folks who don't know much about making music at all, but have people basically waiting for them to learn. All they will have to do is make some half-assed simple-type tracks and will already have labels ready to release it.

If I was a bit more determined to succeed (make a living) at this- I think djing would be one of the most critical things I would engage in beyond making tracks. It's like an interface with the dance community.

Get some decks dude.. you won't regret it.

Message 5/66             08-May-02  @  07:08 PM     Edit: 08-May-02  |  07:09 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Maarten

Link?: Link

Reminds me of this newyears eve few years back, believe I mentioned this before... There was this live act (big synths and everything in clear view.) Two kids standing to the right of me screaming to eachother how cool this track we're hearing is by DJ"NotTheActualArtist".... sad really.

-M-

Message 6/66             08-May-02  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

Drop

Bollocks. Dj's should stick to DJing and producers to producing. There are too many producers who become big and then get offered DJ gigs. 99% of them are shit DJ's. For example:

Great Producers who are shit DJs:

16b, Bushwacka, James Holden, Joey Negro, Full Intention and Freq Nasty.

I think DJing is an artform and challenge anyone to travel the world, deal with airports, jet lag, constantly keep on top of your records, practice and then find the time to produce and a record in your own studio. It just don't happen. That's why alot of the top DJ's have production partners who do all the work and then put it out under the DJ's name.

Djing is bloody hard work as you get nearer the top 100.

Message 7/66             08-May-02  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

true.. you can't expect a good producer to be a good dj, or vice versa. But if you can spin AND produce- even if you only have a good local footing- it can make a world of difference.

I am both- so I will do both. I was just really noting that djs seem to get an easy ticket into production stuff if they've established a following of some sort. So, if your a good dj and are producing good music- I would say to make sure that they complement one another because they undoubtedly will.

I myself am much more intrigued by the creation of music- so I probably don't do much justice to the stacks of vinyl I've collected. But I keep the avenues open for what I feel like doing. If I feel like throwin' down some shit and tear off a few heads- then cool. I think it would be grand to have a full set of my own tracks that I'd just hop around town playing for people- passing out free cds and shit. If you don't dj then you should do some live gigging or something.. Ya know- out of sight out of mind?

Message 8/66             08-May-02  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

david g

oh hi dru

Message 9/66             08-May-02  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

influx

zink. I have people that have known me for years, and have known that I sit in my room for hours on end making noises, and they STILL ask me "You still spinnin stuff?"

Argh!

Message 10/66             08-May-02  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: I AM NOT A DJ!! NOT A DJ!!!! :(

dru

And there are those who don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. Whenever I have mentioned that I dj to regular folk- they immediately assume that I know how to scratch records. And then I go through the shpeel about how my objective is to 'blend' songs together.

Or people will say, "huh, I didn't know that they still make vinyl records!"

Wattup David! Howz it been?

peace

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 66 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)