aaa Yamaha DX21 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Yamaha DX21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/76             19-Jul-98  @  11:48 AM   -   Yamaha DX21

Geek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Sorry, I think thats what its called or the 27?
Anyway, u knowz anything about this synth? I dont! Whats it good for?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/76             19-Jul-98  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

kilo

same as theTX81Z.....CLASSIC SOUNDS..... but not multi-timbrel.... but, you get a master keyboard....

Message 3/76             19-Jul-98  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

The Pimp

My friend used to have a DX21 and left it at my house for quite a while. I loved it. It was the first synth I ever got to play with and really get into. I still have the manuals here and compared to most manuals they are pretty big. Anyways I love the sounds and once you figure it out the programing isn't to bad. You can cheat and make it have 2 voices at once by splitting them across the keyboard. Anyways if you can get one on the cheap then do it cuz it's a cool pie e of kit.

Jeremy

Message 4/76             29-Jul-98  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

replica

DX21 is a 4 operator FM synth - the same sounds as on
cheap PC soundcards. I'd say crappy by todays standards.
Only thing they might be good for are stonking bass
sounds, but they would need beefing up by a decent FX
unit to sound anything.

Pay no more than £130-150.

Message 5/76             29-Jul-98  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

The Pimp

I now have my friends DX21 and the bass sounds you can make are uunbelievable. Pain to program at first but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

Message 6/76             29-Jul-98  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

kilo

i have to say it.... Replica you're talking absolute unadulterated rot... cheap soundcards have a 2 op fm synth, and if you think 4 op fm is crap then i suggest you take up golf, cos 70% of the sounds you groove to in a club (if you ever go to a club) come from those synths......

Message 7/76             29-Jul-98  @  06:22 PM   -   fuck yes!

skul

started playing around with the FM synthesis section in Sound Forge last night (which is a 4op jobby) and the sounds you can make are absolutely fucking mental! wish i had realized it was there earlier... much thanks to whoever mentioned it in that Tx81Z thread a while back.

Message 8/76             30-Jul-98  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

replica

Kilo - so you are the worlds authority on FM synths eh !.

What clubs do you go too, 80's revivalist one no doubt.
Bet you still have the Phil Oakey haircut as well.

Listen sunshine, the DX21 is an out of date pile of crap.
The sounds you can get from it are 99% crap, apart
from the odd bass sound that everyone has used anyhow.

I've owned at various stages : Yamaha's DX100,V50,TX81Z,
DX7,TX7 - so I think I know what FM synthesis is about.
2 op FM soundcards - yes they are better cos generally
you get some form of built in effects to add to the sound.
Oh, don't you know about the 4-Op soundcards ?.

Message 9/76             30-Jul-98  @  05:37 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

HA HA VERY SOUR. ..... it's got nothing to do with being an authority, tho maybe you're stuck in that intellectual synth mode.... ergo : if i cant bang on about it's amazing synthesis powers and the hugely complexed sounds it can achieve it's a pile of shite....

fact is mate and i say it again... you talk rot... still... keep buying the 'LATEST' 90's synths... i'm sure you'll manage to tweak the classic sounds still used today in 80% of garage & house, and about 60-70% of jungle, ragga, dancehall, drum & bass etc etc etc...... by spending huge amounts of money on expensive new synths trying to sound like the old FM units...

maybe you equate 'Dance' with the Prodigy, Chemical Brothers etc........ fact is mate.... all the modern synths may get used .... but i can tell you that FM is one of THE most used sound in Dance today, across all styles.....Techno, Trance & the commercial big-beat styles are about the only styles that dont use FM as a mainstay....

only an idiot would claim they are 80's... and hence out of date..... next you'll be telling me a U87 is shite, cos it;s been around since the 70's..... !!.. or that an old pair of Tannoy Golds are shite too as monitors , or an old Harrison desk, or old Valve compressors are crap for the same reason.....

You came blasting in making an totally incorrect a claim about cheap OPL synth chips... and also an incorrect claim about FM synths in general being crap & out of date.....

how you can claim that FM is 80's and hence out of date as a dance tool... when AS A FACT.... it is used in a huge amount of tracks in various styles ???.. FACT !........So you are wrong on all counts........ maybe you dont listen to House, garage or the other styles as I said... maybe you have never heard speed garage??...... by the same logic, you'll be next trying to tell me that juno's , 101's and the like are shite, cos they are from the 70's and 80's too.... fact is mate... THE MAINSTAY of ALL dance is old synths.... PERIOD... the new stuff outside of samplers, simply seeks to REPRODUCE those sounds in the majority of cases.... hence analog modelling, and new analog.... the Waldorfs, Nova's, Virus's, AN1-X's, Prophesy's of this world etc etc etc

NOW...... i suggest you get your facts right before you start rent-a-gobbing it and coming on insulting me on a personal bitchy level, just cos your wildly innacurate claims are squashed flat......

lastly I'll say,... Maybe you think FM is just capable of a few simple dance basses, and other simple dance stuff , and it isnt capable of anything deeper ??.... well.....

if you have the brains and perseverence to learn the HUGE complexity that is FM synthesis... (which hardly anyone has even scratched the surface of in most cases, because it is simply so complexed as a form of synthesis most people just give up).. maybe... just maybe... you'll be able to turn out lush and weird & amazing sounds and ambient textures such as Brian Eno did throughout his most prolific period of synth albums... and it may surprise you to know that his main synth used to do ALL those amazing albums.. was a DX7.... here's some stuff from an interview with Eno from SoS in 1990....

"I dont have alot of instruments. I have a DX7 which is my main instrument, I still keep discovering great new things about it...... I've got two others as well... I've got a Prophet VS and an M1... I'm not really interested in them because I keep going back to the DX7...... Yes, Some of the drum sounds on the album are DX ....."

SOS. For someone who is considered a great electronic musician, a guru of the synthesiser or treated sound, you dont seem to have the kind of equipment that Vangelis or Klaus Schulze have?..

"I must say in my whole career I've only really had 3 synths, which is amazing really. Klaus Schulze, he's got truckloads of them I think. Well, it's another way of working. I don't really work as a keyboard player, with given sounds. Because sound is so much the subject of what I do, it's much more interesting to me than what my fingers are doing at a particular time. It's the actual timbre of the whole thing which I'm finally interested in, I really cant take a given sound or a given melody, I have to make it myself and that means getting very familiar with an instrument. So really, my only 3 synths have been the old AMS, the minimoog, which I used for a few years, and the DX..."

I'm sorry if FM is over your head... either as a common tool you simply can't identify in tracks cos you only think in terms of latest product , or as one of the most powerful types of synthesis EVER created....... "

Still, maybe you will just say Eno is an out of date wanker who knows shit..... or that UK dance is out of date crap too??

L8ers

Message 10/76             31-Jul-98  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: Yamaha DX21

replica

Kilo :

I suggest you go fiddle with your DX7 and leave the
technology alone - cos its obvious you don't keep up with
the times.

No I dont listen to House or Garage - I'm not a spotty
teenager anymore.

FM synthesis is nearly 20 years old - if you like it
good, I personally think its past its sell by date, and be be better emulated on modern synths OK.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 76 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)