aaa Dying Scenes - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Dying Scenes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/42             03-Oct-98  @  06:23 PM   -   Dying Scenes

Rouge

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've just noticed that Big-Beat had 'died' and so has Speed Garage. What's the 'next big thing'?
I need to cash in before its too late.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/42             03-Oct-98  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

greedyr

well, my guess is acid goth and ambient punk,which in either case, or both, I will rule
BIG TIME
znorro

Message 3/42             04-Oct-98  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

kilo

huh??...... died?..... i think as time passes, clubs will generally become more eclectic.... with a percentage mixing it up some... i think dance is at last beginning to see itself as music... in the terms/light of how it has generally been viewed by the 'music' community who maybe play more and/or with so-called real instruments.... i mean maybe it was bracketed as something simply to ...er. dance too.... oh... it's hard to explain... but the awakening of people to that potential i feel will help it to become diverse and more personal to the creator.... er..... maybe that is dumb, cos personalised artists in other genres spawn a whole wave of similar acts.... things change fast now, in all areas of mass consumption, but i definately wouldnt say those styles are dead by any means... after all, originally it is someones creation.... no-one remains static for long... we evolve....

the media and the money-ising or commercial exposure of the scene, (and i dont mean that in any negative sense), thus creates a media evolve rate..... media needs to have news..... and there is in media also creativity..... so creativity is sought to merge with.... thus the media may, from chuck berry, thru the pistols, to snoop... lean toward that which can fulfil its' potential the most..... but it doesnt mean the other stuff dies.....

mind you... 'dance'.. it's such a massive area of music .. many things to many people...er... or something....

Message 4/42             04-Oct-98  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Yo Rouge,

What you sweatin about? Why you want to try to hop on some fucking band wagon? Just do the shit that makes you happiest, and it'll come out good enough to sell. So what if it doesn't sound like Big Butt Beat, or Happy Goth, or Hippy Hop? It might actually come out sounding unique. It's all in how you present it to the A/R people. Most of them don't know shit about what good music is. You just give them the pitch, then they shop it, and you get paid. I hear so much lame shit that sells, that I'm afraid of selling my shit to majors. It's not like it wouldn't sell. I just don't want to be associated with label that are willng to back, or publish mediocrity.
Ape

Message 5/42             04-Oct-98  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

Basically, as I mentioned before I've been going through some major writers block and I just can't seem to create as I used too. I put it down to all this PC and technology stuff I've got now. When I had a simple analogue multi-track, a drum-machine and a guitar I couldn't stop making tunes, now I just can't start!
Thats why I'm looking for some kind of aim or challenge... you could call it jumoing on the band-wagon but I relly need some inspiration 'cos I'm getting real frustrated!!!

Message 6/42             04-Oct-98  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Well, there's your answer. Put down your super tools, and try creating on the old shit. Necessity breeds innovation. That's the whole problem with all of these new super tools: you see the possibilities, and just can't decide what to do next. You create something, and to you it sounds like shite, because you know that your tools are way more capable, so instead of focusing on making something small and really cool, you get all of this half assed shit going on at the same time, becasue you're going to put something else in to it as well in a minute that'll try to make it sound cooler. I know, cuz it happens to me all the time, bro. I'm going through the same shit, and although it's easy to intellectualize, it's hard to practice, because the temptation to start throwing more in is so strong. Less is more. It's true in music, anyway.
Ape

Message 7/42             04-Oct-98  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

rouge

Thats a bloody good point! Thing is, I don't have the old multi-track anymore and it used to sound all wobbly like a constant tremelo effect. I'm considering getting a digital multi-track and chucking my PC out the window!

Message 8/42             04-Oct-98  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Hidrah

I do not believe in a scene "dying" per se, I believe once a genre has been created it will never die. It may and in almost every case evolves into a new genre, but the original genre always lives on. 50's music is still being made, as with 60's, 70's and even 80's. It has never died, just evolved. All music has some value, and it doesn't matter if the genre is "in" or not, it will never cease. Just keep true to what you feel is your niche, what music you feel you truely connect to, and its time will come, and if its truely good and moving, it doesnt matter if its 1990 or 2010, it will still be good music. It's not the equipment or instrument that counts, its the general feel, the tune, the melody, the idea that matters the most.
Just another opinion
-Hidrah

Message 9/42             05-Oct-98  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Bball

figure out which music or beat makes you move your body, even if it's only drumming your fingers on the desk...go with your beat or beats and have a good time...

Message 10/42             05-Oct-98  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: Dying Scenes

Hififreq

influence breeds influence, and it's impossible to get influenced without stimuli. Found a block in the road?? Take a couple days to explore something new, or give a pair of ears to another musician. Absorb first then spit out.

HFF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)