aaa ex5r - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: ex5r

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             07-Oct-98  @  09:31 AM   -   ex5r

mail

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is it the best module/sampler on the market in its
price range

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             07-Oct-98  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: ex5r

99devils

I found it to be veryvery impressive as far as the specs go... About the only thing that could compare is a trinity + prophesy

Message 3/16             07-Oct-98  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: ex5r

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

I played a full board version about three months ago, and I must truly admit that I was impressed. It is an extremely good sounding synth. I didn't play with the sampling, But I've used an a3000 before, and if it's the same (which it undoubtedly is) then it's probably the best all-in-one box on the market right now. I didn't get too far into the sound-building architecture, so I'm not sure of it's quirks and complexities, but for overall punchiness, fullness, and character, I think it had the k2500 pretty well beat out. I don't know how the comprehensive the midi implementation is, not having taken it home and given it the stretching, but if it's anything like yammy's other stuff, it's there. I like the ex5, and I'm sure that the 5r isn't any less the box.
Ape

ps the trinity and prophecy got nothing on this box!

Message 4/16             08-Oct-98  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: ex5r

the su700 is going to be intrude the winter namm show.
and going on custumur market in january. Looks fantatic spec-wise. + hanfull of butons ribbon&knobs, the seq is going to be marveluss alowing you to (split) the seq do a 8bar looping grove on it and the record another 64 bar one with you jaming over it ( triggering pads etc. ist going to be fabio for live stuff. supertank

Message 5/16             08-Oct-98  @  03:30 AM   -   RE: ex5r

Pongoid

The what? Su700 you say? Where do I get info? Is this a Yamaha piece?
Ape

Message 6/16             12-Oct-98  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: ex5r

mail

I've read now that the SCSI sample transfer on the ex5 is
a pile of pants (over an hour to transfer the full 64MB)
although the scsi is an optional xtra and it might be
possible to hold fire on buying it until they've sorted
their shit out and released a decent one.
What's this Su700 t

Message 7/16             12-Oct-98  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: ex5r

robm

hello.

I once owned an ex5r and here's the story.

it was the best sounding synth i've ever heard. the drums waves built in were very nice. the an sounds were very nice. the effects were _incredible_, what you'd expect from a tc electronics unit as far as way outness.

the sampler was unusable. the scsi speed was about 30k per sec., and, worse yet the implemenatation of samples/waves was very horrible, and _worst_ of all it was so difficult to save things (you had to remember everything you did and save/ load them all individually, or save the whole thing at once (which would take forever) and load the whole thing at once -- which made it very hard to share elements between your songs, say a drumkit.

so, the thing would be great if you had a sampler already, otherwise forget it. i did. i took an $800 bath on mine and traded it for a v2 A3000. I'm much happier now.

The future music review of it was shit.... jsut total shit. they're complete bastards in that dept. they cater to their adverts.

If you get one make sure you can take it back w/in 30 days and try it out.

other bad shit about it: one analogue voice at a time, which will reduce your total # of effects from 10 to 4 (2 of each of those numbers being global rever/chorus, the rest being multieffects.

a lot of glitchy stuff was wrong with it as well. in the multi screen all sustaining notes would get cut off when you moved the cursor from one track to another it sends an all notes off.

AND -- the internal sequencer/ pattern player/ arpegiator doesn't properly sync, and since the damn thing wont send out time code you can't really use the interanl seq with anything else.

IMHO: this unit is not ready for prime-time. the AN voices are just a teaser because of the hit in the effects dept. You can't use more than one FDSP/AN/VL voice at a time, either. And, FDSP isn't cool -- I usually can't even tell when it's on. EX5r+ SCSI = $1750US. Buy a A3000 for $1300 and a 777 or nord Micro Modular for $650-$850. I was a big fan of the EX until I got rid of it -- since I got my A3000 I've been doing real work again.

If Yamaha brings out an EX9 or something with real sampling implementation and 12voice AN poly and more effects at a time (which they won't IMHO) then you should buy it.

Message 8/16             13-Oct-98  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: ex5r

Hilevelt

I want to back up this last post before anyone comes in trying to say anything to the contrary. Frankly, Pongoid, I'm surprised in your appeal for this board, you normally have very fine taste ;)~.

Anyone interested needs to figure out if they're satisfied w/ an1x sounds, because IMO they're weak in any kind of moog/sci sense, but great for trancy leads and textures; ie, if you want a BassStation you're set, but it doesn't have those magical qualities a good analog has. The Nord does have a magical quality un-matched by the other virtual analogs, though not necessarily in an analog way. As far as the non-analog sounds, they're all good enough, definitely pro, but they're nothing special.

Basically, yammy set out to create the perfect woman but forgot to give her sex-appeal. Oh but looking over at my k2000, mon cherie, allow me to caress your buttons and stare deeply into your display.....

Message 9/16             13-Oct-98  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: ex5r

Hilevelt

oh, and on the subject of the nord micro, whatever happened to that knowledgable guy that had a nord modular? Anyone know how it compares to some of the things that have since come into the scene (supernova, audio architect, 777, generator, etc.)? How useful are those filter inputs?

And has anyone heard from that guy from Singapore that used to sell cheap nord/novation stuff on Harmony Central?

Message 10/16             13-Oct-98  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: ex5r

Pongoid

Well, that's a drag about the ex5's implementation. I guess I shouldn't have based my assumptions on fuctionality on their other gear. I only heard it a bit, and played with it in a store, not having messed with the sampler at all. Sounds like there are some serious bugs to be worked out. I thought that it would be something like a cross between the an1x, the a3k, the w1, and maybe the qy700. Bad breeding. To answer the question about Nord vs. Yammy, I take Yammy. The Nord to me sounds cold and brittle, kind of thin, but still tight. Just my take.
Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)