aaa Software Sampler Tutorial - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Software Sampler Tutorial

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             02-Jul-98  @  05:53 PM   -   Software Sampler Tutorial

Greenman

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

PRINT THIS PAGE...It'll be easier.

Start the Program Signum.exe...

The screen that is first loaded is called the SAMPLER Screen...there is another view called DISPLAY which is a close-up of just the samplers' LCD display. Click the tabs in the lower left corner or use the page-up and page down keys on your computer-keyboard to toggle between views. The only thing that I use the SAMPLER display (zoomed-out) for is setting Output Volume and Recording Volume...to set these place the mouse cursor over them until the cursor turns into a finger, click the left-mouse button repeatedly to turn the Volume down and the right-mouse button to increase Volume.

Quick(ish) Start...

1) Start the Program.

2) Set Volume to about Half (see above).

3) Switch to DISPLAY screen (Page-up Key).

4) Use the drop down boxes on the right to select your MIDI in and out, and AUDIO device.
For simplicity sake, right now I suggest just using the MIDI-in connectors on your MIDI interface/card as opposed to a sequencer residing on the same computer (Loop back device or similar MIDI routing software). This will aide in troubleshooting. Later, you can place the software sampler at the beginning of your midi chain and pass midi thru to your External MIDI connector on the back of your computer.

COMPUTER SEQUENCER (midi out)------>(midi in) SOFTWARE SAMPLER (midi out)------->(midi in) HARDWARE SYNTHS

5) In the lower right corner (below the drop down boxes) are (8) Main Selection Buttons [SP], [ES], [EP], etc.

Select [MI]. This takes you to all of the Global MIDI settings.

6) Verify that you are receiving MIDI.

Under the blue sampler screen are (8) Softkeys (Click on the labeled boxes or use the F-keys along your computer keyboard).

Press the (F3) or [PPMs] key, this takes you to the MIDI NOTE PPM DISPLAY screen.

Send the program MIDI note data (press a key on your controller keyboard) and you will see a corresponding bar appear above the channel numbers that run along the bottom of the display. This disply is velocity sensitive, so pressing hard on your controller keyboard will give a larger bar display.

At this point you have confirmed that the program is receiving MIDI data...

7) Use the selection boxes in the lower right corner to go back to the [SP] SELECT PROGRAM screen.

8) Go to the FILE menu and select NEW PROGRAM...load your .wav file. Sow you will have two programs loaded on the Screen...TEST PROGRAM and THE FILE YOU JUST LOADED.

9) Use the TAB key to select TEST PROGRAM. Press (F6) or [DEL] to take you to the DELETE screen. Press (F6) or [PROG] to delete the highlighted PROGRAM (TEST PROGRAM). Confirm by pressing [GO] in the dialog that appears.

10) Press the (F1) or [SLCT] box to go back to the Main [SLCT] Select screen.

11) Press (F4) or [MIDI] and then use the TAB key to get to the CHA field. This is where you set the MIDI channel for this PROGRAM (.wav file).

12) Sending MIDI note data from your keyboard controller on this Channel should trigger the .wav file that you have loaded. The samples' original pitch is played by pressing the C3 (MIDI note 60) key.

This is just scratching the surface...if you have problems getting this far e-mail me at bmead@tiac.net.

------ Some info on how the S1100dx works. (Taken from the AKAI S3200XL Manual and Revised) ------

Basically, you can have SAMPLES. These are the pieces of raw digital audio that are always the basis of sounds in the S1100dx. These may be loaded from hard and floppy disk (.wav files and eventually Akai Sample Disks), CD-ROM, or, of course you will be able to sample (RECORD) your own sounds via the soundcard inputs.

Once you have a raw SAMPLE, there are many things you can do within EDIT SAMPLE. You may TRIM it, using visual waveform representation on-screen, set START and END LOOP points, and several other functions. Just like the original hardware sampler you may even REVERSE the sample.

A PROGRAM is where you assemble your sample(s) for playback. In a PROGRAM, you allocate a sample to a KEYGROUP (in fact, you can allocate 4 samples to one KEYGROUP for layering, velocity switching and velocity crossfading). More on that later.

A PROGRAM may have as little as one keygroup SPANning the entire keyboard or as many as one KEYGROUP for every KEY, each with (4) samples in them! (A lot of DRUM KITS are setup this way). To overcome the abrupt tonal discrepancies sometimes experienced when two different samples are placed 'side by side' on the keyboard, positional keygroup crossfading can be used for a smoother trasition.

Once in a KEYGROUP, the sample may be passed thru resonant filters for toanl modification, through amplifiers for amplitude control , an ADSR, and through a PAN section for stereo placement. Keygroups may be freely assigned to individual soundcards (outs) for extenal processing and mixing.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             03-Jul-98  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

/\\/E/\/E

Yay !!! Nice one, many thanks.

Message 3/13             10-Jul-98  @  07:06 AM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

guytarebergeron

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the tutorial.

But I still have a problem, the S1100dx from SIGNUM recognize my midi express pc (MOTU) but do not receive midi data from it via my kurzweil pc-88 controller.

I've tried with the cakewalk virtual piano and he receive midi data from it.

I really don't understand because my midi interface and my controller work very well since number of years with cakewalk and also with cubase.

What do you think about.

Guy Bergeron
guytarebergeron@videotron.ca
http://pages.infinit.net/guytare

Message 4/13             11-Jul-98  @  03:32 AM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

Greenman

I need a little more info to help you troubleshoot.

Are you using any virtual midi devices? (Hubi's Loopback, etc.)

Try setting Midi Thru on from within Cubase or Calkwalk. It sounds like your controller messages are not getting THRU your sequencer (cubase) to the Signum s1100dx.

One possible chain If you're using a virtual (software) MIDI device is...

SEQUENCER(out)--->(in)SIGNUM(out)--->EXT OUT ON MIDI PORT

CONTROLLER(out)--->EXT. IN ON MIDI PORT

I'll forward your message to the author...and try to think of some other solutions if this is not the problem...

Message 5/13             15-Jul-98  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

galleyslave

Thanks Greenman...

This this is cool and all but mine goes a bit weird when I change the filter settings.

Basically I did everything you said here and it works fine...play a note on my keyboard and it works ok. Then I went to the keygroup edit bit where its got the filter settings...and put the cutoff to about half. Then when I play notes sometimes they sound and sometimes not... weird... I dunno..

Anyone else had this problem?

L8r.

Message 6/13             15-Jul-98  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

magnus

Why the hell use s-1000 ?!! (okey it's free!)
Giga sampler is so much easier and better !
This one is the future !

Message 7/13             15-Jul-98  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

kilo

er...yes... but the site offers no info as to how to get the product... what exactly it is... wether there is any hardware as part of it.... or if it is 100% s/w based... no demo... no download... simply a registration key fill out form..... shame...... why cant sites offer some real info, instaed of endless promo.... like.. i've spent 5 minutes at the site... looked at every page... and i still cant figure out if it's a s/w or a hardware product even.... and if it is 100% s/w... er... where's the demo ?.....

Message 8/13             15-Jul-98  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

kilo

aha.....795 US $ ....er......... hmmmm...... well...... i think i'll pass..... cos at that price, i'd rather have a proper hardware unit i can gig with.. after all...what is the point of having gigabytes worth of samples... no-one ever uses that in the real world.... ..and it appears to be untried and tested... where's the demo ?..... seems like you're being asked to part with 800 bucks to test an untrie-able product..... what if it has bugs ?... what if it has set-up problems... after you've paid, it's too late.... any answers ?

Message 9/13             15-Jul-98  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

Astroman

Right on kilo.... I think this Gigasampler thing is a joke.... cant believe they'd charge $800.... cause like you said you can get a hardware sampler for that much and who the hell would ever want a 2 gig sample anyways.... and who the hell would pay that much for software without trying it out first...

What about Mellosoftron? I havent heard much about this cheap ($35) little piece of software and it looks like it does alot of what giga and signum does. I just started playing with it last night and really didnt notice any latency all.... and the interface was pretty straight forward...

Message 10/13             16-Aug-98  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: Software Sampler Tutorial

Greenman

Reload...by popular request.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)