aaa Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             03-Jun-98  @  06:42 AM   -   Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

arsenaul

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm relatively new to the world of electronic music (I'm trying to be as genre non-specific as possible). Here's my question. I want to get another piece of kit to add to my setup, so far I have a CS1X and I love it but I want more. The problem is unlike in the UK, where I live (St.Catharines Ontario Canada, near Toronto) gear isn't easy to come by and If used stuff is found it's extremely expensive (a W30 was going for $1000 Canadian at the local music shop.) I want to get either a sampler or a module but there are so many options it can get confusing. Other than for key assigning samples what's the benifit of a sampler? If there is a reason I'd get one but right now I'm not sure cuz using loops in Cakewalk seems to work for me. I there is a reason what sampler would be best as a starter and what should I expect to pay?
Secondly if I where to get a module or another synth what would be a good option. I want multi timbrality and reasonable polyphony. The last problem is where do I find or look for the stuff. I'd prefer to be able to get my gear here in Canada. Since I'm close to Toronto I have no qualms with going there or any other reasonable distance to get stuff I just need to know where to get it.

Thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             03-Jun-98  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

ken303909

I've been making electronic music for about 4 years now. The CS1X is a pretty good synth but when you want to get those nice performance sounds, you'd need to emulate it by pilling the parts up. This eats Miltitrimbality and or the Midi Channels. But since you're thinking of getting a new module, ther're a bunch of good ones. It also depends on what type of music you want to do. If you want to make techno, I strongly recomend glooking into the Orbit by E-mu. It's got 6 outs, and I'm pretty sure it'a a 16 part miltitimbral synth. That's geared towards dance music. The 909 samples on there are pretty good. Better than the CS1X's anyway. You can also do the filterings on there too. Now for a sampler, samplers are good for using or creating original sounds. With the newer tracks these days, you won't hear a sound in a track that you can really recognize because people are not sticking with Presets anymore. But yeah, samplers are a must in my own opinion for a set up. Good luck!

Message 3/15             03-Jun-98  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

pongoid

Link?:  Link

All of the European tech-heads seem to think that the Akai s2000 is all you really need. That and a copy of cubase is what they say works. I hate the sound of Akai's so I say go with emu if you like clean and warm, or ensoniq if you like grit. Both the esi32, and the eps16+ are fairly easy to obtain samoplers if you go to . If you just plan on sitting at your desk and never leaving home/the studio, then the sampler, and your software are pretty much all you'll ever need. If you plan on going places, get a drum machine like an Alesis SR16, and a sequencer, like an MMT8, and a mixer, like a 1202, and some effects. That whole setup shouldn't run you more than $1200US, and you can take it anywhere, and it's light and portable, and quite potent for what ever music you may want to make (staying non-genre specific of course). In short, and eps16+ or an esi32 , and some real strong sequencing software like cubase or logic (the better but more complex of the two) would be your wisest move by far at this point. Good luck!
Monkey Power!!

Message 4/15             03-Jun-98  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

MartinB

The emu orbit goes well with the CS1X and with 16 part multi it would give you a good armoury of sounds.It has excellent drum sounds and kits which is a weakness on the Yamaha.I love it to bits.

Message 5/15             03-Jun-98  @  10:46 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

Ferg

Well, as a resident of Toronto I can tell you gear is not that hard to find and it's often very cheap. I just bought a Korg X5DR last week for $350, a very good price considering the competition. If you're looking for a sampler you can find old Akai's pretty cheap in the Buy and Sell, (anything new is pricey though). There's a lot more gear here than people think because they don't know about the scene. T.O. has a thriving jungle scene which most people will just never hear about, in spite of the compilations that are floating about. I was in Amsterdam last month and bought a compilation of Toronto d'n'b that I'd never seen before. So what the fuck is wrong with our record shops??

Message 6/15             04-Jun-98  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

Arsenaul, like Ferg mentioned, the "BUY and SELL" is a great place to find used gear in the southern ontario area. they have a synth section. I'm sure you'll be able to find it in variety stores in st. catherines, it comes out every two weeks during the summer.

Message 7/15             04-Jun-98  @  04:33 AM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

arsenaul

Thanks alot. It's hard to know thta their is a seenn because even though I'm close to TO we don't here it. I go their often though and I know there's a thriving jungle scene. In fact I think it's probably one of the best. Thnaks again.

Message 8/15             04-Jun-98  @  08:43 AM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

galleyslave

Hmmm.... well I'm fairly new to all this stuff too, and I find myself in a similar situation. I've got a Korg N5 and have been trying to decide what to do next, and my latest thoughts are that I should get a new soundcard before anything else. If you get a good one (I'm thinking Terratec EWS or something) then you effectively get a new sound module and sampler in one. Plus with a good soundcard you can do digital recording etc so you can record those fat CS1x performance sounds 'n stuff....

Message 9/15             04-Jun-98  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

pongoid

Link?:  Link

I would recommend hardware, but that is because I prefer to do things live. If you plan on sitting in our room, and just programming your computer, then a card and software are the way to go. On the other hand, if you plan on doing anything live, and really want to make your sound go ape shit, then a cheap sequencer like and mmt8 and a decent, cheap, used sampler are the way to go. Period.

Message 10/15             04-Jun-98  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Need a good and cheap companion to my CS1X

Ferg

I totally agree. If you buy a fanct multi-out card that can do all these incredible things, combining the fuctions of so many hardware pieces you're sentencing yourself to a career in your bedroom. As Kilo often says, though, you can take your PC on the road, but really it's not going to push you out there. How many musicians do you know who bought pricey 8 track recorders and ended up making great experimental albums that only they and their girlfriends ever heard? Kilo convinced me not to go down that route and now I'm committed to buying external hardware so I can start gigging. Because getting your music out there is what you really want, right?
Ferg

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)