aaa Are you BACKED UP? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Are you BACKED UP?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             20-Jul-04  @  03:16 PM     Edit: 20-Jul-04  |  03:16 PM   -   Are you BACKED UP?

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Based on something I read in SoS, I got to thinkin (this has probably been covered off here recently but what the hey?! eh?!)  

(Oh, and this could also probably be in the PC Music forum but it applies to Mac and linux heads, as well so here we are..)

How often to people back-up? I mean honestly? And what kinda processes do you go through? Just bung it all on DVDR? Use an app which helps devise backup schemes? Manually pick through and compress stuff before copying to CDR? Use portable harddrives? Backup to servers on a personal LAN?

Also, this Monkey's Audio file compressor looks damn nice... according to these specs anyway.. but do people still bother to crush stuff?!

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/comparison.html

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             20-Jul-04  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Maarten

I happily own a not-large enough HD, I was gonna upgrade to something bigger but your question may well just have me not do that. Because yes, I only backup to CD-r to actually free up space on my HD. I know I should be doing this on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. But I'm afraid that if I get me a 120GB hard disc it'll take at least another year till my next backup and that would not be so smart.
I put everything uncompressed on the cd's.

cheers,
Maarten

Message 3/30             20-Jul-04  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

craig

I back things up to DVD whenever I've made significant progress on something. When I'm finished working with a project, and I've done significant work on it, then I save it to a Cakewalk bundle and copy it to DVD.

When I've finished an album, I burn all the work files to two seperate DVDs. I really should take one set to work or to my parents' place in case my house burns down  

-Craig

Message 4/30             20-Jul-04  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

k

Link?:  Link

i back up to network & dvd

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/30             20-Jul-04  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

Mindspawn

Network and DVD here, as well.... about every other month for system stuffs, and up to daily backups for commercial work, though usually, I do more like Craig, only when I've got to a point of significant progress.

Message 6/30             20-Jul-04  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

lothario

Link?:  No link

i use 3,5 inch disks, where all my work is; midi, sounds - everything, simple as that

Message 7/30             21-Jul-04  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

dARKSTATe

Interesting, so far no one has professed to compressing their data beforehand?

Gonna check out this monkey's audio anyhoo.. see if it lives upto the hype

Message 8/30             21-Jul-04  @  01:16 PM     Edit: 21-Jul-04  |  01:18 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

beds

Link?:  Link

i use winrar to compress and save to dvd if it's massive, otherwise i just drop the project straight onto dvd. i also back up to another drive on the network.

Message 9/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

psylichon

one scratched, unreadable WAV file I can deal with. One scratched, unreadable RAR or ZIP? Now that will waste an entire project, innit?

Message 10/30             21-Jul-04  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Are you BACKED UP?

xoxos

1 cd-r 1, 2x a year, just good songs.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)