aaa anyone else ever wonder? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: anyone else ever wonder?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

Original Message 1/107             19-Mar-04  @  08:13 PM   -   anyone else ever wonder?

influx

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

this is a post I threw up somewhere else. Didnt know what forum...go ahead and razz me if you think I chose the wrong one:

"I just spent the last few weeks doing some major changes in my studio setup. soundproofing, new desk, new audio interface.

and now I cant write jack shit. Ive had less and less hardware over the last few years, and my output has dropped significantly. The sound quality is much _cleaner_ now, and I have far more power at my disposal than ever before, but...

everything feels so cold and clinical now! That feeling of grabbing my old akai AX-60, juno106, waldorf pulse...gone. Now its just a mouse and a screen. I still have my virus of course, but somehow even that isnt as exciting anymore because I just make some sounds and then record them into cubase.

some of you are gonna shit their pants, but I actually kinda miss sequencing in midi. I dont miss HW sequencers, but...my old Atari Falcon! Yes, Im serious.

midi sequencing, realtime mixdowns (sending to effects, channel fades, playing with mutes)

I know Im definitely going against the grain here, as everyone is so in love with all that computers offer (heh, the thought of not having a UAD-1 anymore gives me the shakes I tell ya!)

but...anyone else think that maybe, truly, honestly, technology is slowly but surely removing the humanity from the music making equation?

Im not only talking about the "anyone can do it" aspect even though that is clearly true, but...just..the spontaneity, the hands on feel? the..."realness" of it?

oh and btw...nectarios..PLEASE...we know where you stand so...if youre gonna pull the "digital sucks" thing..just save it, ok? "

(the last part is for this guy there that CONSTANTLY throws his "yeah well, my ____ analog sounds WAY better than ____"

gets fckin old, so I dropped a preemptive strike on 'im

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/107             19-Mar-04  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

milan

Link?: Link

i think know how you feel... get a knob box and twiddle away? maybe it will bring some of that hands on feeling back. oh... and some blank panels with built in leds, if it makes you feel better  

Message 3/107             19-Mar-04  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

* compulsary

Link?:  No link

atari = silence = bliss

*raises finger to the fans*

Message 4/107             19-Mar-04  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

GrooveMonkey

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. WHilst moving house I packed away all my hardware and was left wift just my pc, cubase and a bunch of plugs.

I worked like that for like 8 weeks and couldn't do jack! definately need to twiddle nobs and slide faders.

G

Message 5/107             19-Mar-04  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

influx

thing is...the power available is hard to turn away from

even if the PC was used for just mixing..but even then...you have to track everything, and fckin cubase always puts a little bit of fcking silence at the front of files, so they need to be fixed after that

and this, that and the other thing

seemed like with the falcon and my keys and boxes..I just turned it on and went. I mean..it crashed once or twice, but...

this still doesnt quite hit at what my feelings are

milan..I dont think a knob box is gonna do it...you still have to set up templates, get the thing working with your seq, etc etc...

Message 6/107             19-Mar-04  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

milan

yeah, but once you're done with programming you just fire it up and its there at your fingertips, almost like the real thing.

or fuck it... why not go back to your roots for sound sources? then track them and use the power at your disposal for trechnical tasks like mixing...

but what do i know... persionaly, i dont care what i use as long as it gets the job done. had a friend over for a first time few weeks ago and we got makings of a track going in a few hours using nothing but s/w. him banging on the keys with different sounds/samples, and me doing the techie shit in front of the pc. then again... i guess it might work as long as SOMETHING is there for the inspiration...like interaction of humans or interaction with gear helped by blinking lights... i'd agree that just sitting in front of a screen is not really inspiring in itself... feck if i knoiw... get some talking aibos for company or something :D

Message 7/107             19-Mar-04  @  11:41 PM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

influx

a studio partner might help, but then theres the "chair" issue...

I dunno dude. might just be thinkin too much again

Message 8/107             20-Mar-04  @  12:22 AM     Edit: 20-Mar-04  |  01:35 AM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

BluStudio

*edit*

Message 9/107             20-Mar-04  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

steve

both have thier downsides, I guess. a tidy hardware setup coupled with a fairly well stacked computer would be pretty much ideal, but once you've made the switch to mostly sw it's kinda hard to find the money and inclination to start filling the room with shit you've no space for again.

my way around the problem has been just to leave everything to gather dust and do something else instead.

Message 10/107             20-Mar-04  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: anyone else ever wonder?

influx

go snowboarding

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

There are 107 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)