aaa Hardware effects - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Hardware effects

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             13-Feb-04  @  03:29 AM   -   Hardware effects

HBahnz

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am curious to know if any of you use hardware effects processors much. And for what?
I dont know if i should just stick to what i have within the s/w or get a multi-processor effects unit. Anyone who has one do you use it much in your tracks?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             13-Feb-04  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: Hardware effects

mcc>

if i use external gear....i use hardware effects. be they compressors or signal processors such as delays or reverbs.
i've known some people who've recorded very cool stuff with no effects units and
yet i like to complicate things by having a range of options by which to shape a sound.

if your sounds are coming from software, though....stick with software processors.
that isn't a rule but a suggestion.
yet one which i'll often ignore myself.

Message 3/30             13-Feb-04  @  07:42 AM   -   RE: Hardware effects

psylichon

Link?: Link

if you're comfortable and happy with software effects, I would stick with them. Lots of power, and (depending on CPU power or patience with offline bouncing) unlimited instances of whatever you buy. Think about it...

The only time I would recommend hardware for processing is EQ or compression (more so compression), pre-A/D on the way into your computer, or in the case of reverb. 'verb takes so much processing (especially these new convolution jobbies), that it's almost worth it to have a dedicated box for it to free up the 'puter for other things.

Message 4/30             13-Feb-04  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Hardware effects

Influx

keep in mind that in order to use a HW processor in a predominantly SW setup can create quite a few hassles for ya

Message 5/30             13-Feb-04  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: Hardware effects

k

yeah, I have a dual setup - my old hardware setup and my new digital setup - the can work in combi, however, once audio is in the digital domain, then s/w is the way I go cos it is convenient and quicker than passing the audio OUt of a soundcard, thru a processor and back IN to the pc system

however, some people like to use a hybrid system, midi controlling external synths and other hardware sound generators, which is mixed in with ON-board audio & any additional VSTi's or DXi Instruments.

when I use hardware FX & processors it's the usual... compressors, gating FX, reverb, delay, eq

Message 6/30             13-Feb-04  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: Hardware effects

craig

I use hardware for distortion, and sometimes reverb. I also have dedicated boxes for filtering and vocoding (Electrix).

-Craig

Message 7/30             13-Feb-04  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Hardware effects

xoxos

wanna buy some? :p

brings to mind a certain $99 wavestation at hilevelt's shop..

Message 8/30             13-Feb-04  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: Hardware effects

k

Link?:  Link

$99 for a wavestation!!!!!...bloody hell!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/30             13-Feb-04  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: Hardware effects

L$

I'd recommend staying with software as the routing options are so much more flexible.

The only hardware FX outboard I use is hardwired to a rhodes electric piano. So I'd say hardware FX is cool to stick between a hardware tone generator and the computer... or for live performance or something... but otherwise stick with software, it's crazy what's been coming out...some of the FX plugins compare favourably with really high end hardware gear.
(so buying a budget hardware FX processor, will actually not get you the quality of some of the software plugins)

Message 10/30             13-Feb-04  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Hardware effects

milan

well a decent reverb unit still makes sense... although its a bit of a hastle to apply it to s/w sounds.

actually...hey, why not get somethingf like a tc powercore or UAD-1??? that'll give you good h/w quality fx in s/w enviroment.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)