aaa Supernova 2 or Virus -C - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

09-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             19-Jan-04  @  06:15 PM   -   Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Meldon Farsko

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was wondering which keyboard you like better and why. Before I spend the money I want to make sure its what I want.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             19-Jan-04  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Tom

Why not play with both at your local music store, and decide which one you like better.

One person's preference doesn't necessarily its also good for you.

Tom

Message 3/20             19-Jan-04  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

influx

Link?:  Link

both 

general consensus is that the Novation stuff is a little "rounder"...and the Access stuff is a little "edgier" sometimes even "harsh"

what are you looking for?

Message 4/20             19-Jan-04  @  07:39 PM     Edit: 19-Jan-04  |  07:42 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

BluStudio

Link?: Link

ya, what influx says, however- on hearing some of the stuff andrew (broken silence) has done with his virus i was really impressed- he owns a nova too, mebbe he'll drop a line here.

Im an absolute novation freak tho- nova, supernova and KsRack here, i think the Nova is prolly one of the best *ever* synths made- but defo loved what bs was up to with his virus xl.

For the price of new stuff, i dunno- you could have a second hand Nova (original laptop one) and a virus xl or something which would give you full-on tweakability of both!

blu

Message 5/20             19-Jan-04  @  09:37 PM     Edit: 19-Jan-04  |  09:39 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Broken Silence

I like my nova much better than the virus. Like unmeasurably better because the nova/supernova are such amazing synths. They're easy to use, incredibly expressive, and the sound is unmatched. Nova's are definatley rounder like Influx said. I think the filters on the nova are so much better than the viruses because the virus filters sound "wispy" to me. There's no drawbacks with a nova either because you have 7effects on each part whereas virus you have global reverb, and individual chorus and phaser.

The one thing that bugs me about the virus is the filter. It's really a let down how shitty (i at least) think it sounds. But then again, alot of people really really like it- cause it's the "virus" sound.

But I'm definatley not trashing the virus at all. It makes leads that just scream out at you. Huge basses with some awesome controls that you can't find anywhere else. It has "seamless" control- called smoothmode which means that there are no intervals between parameter values...!!!! So lets say you want to make a wave sweep using the 64 spectral waves- no problemo, start at 1 and go up to 64 on a (5 step) envelope without a single jump or "zipper" noise. That's fucking cool if you ask me. The spectral waves are awesome too- enabling you to make some sweet ass choir sounds, clavs, organs etc.

The virus owns the nova on features like FM, spectral waves, 10 times better LFO's etc, but on feel, control, modulation, sound, effects--and more I think the nova is overall more fun to use and better sounding.

(note I use a Nova laptop- a Supernova with 16 voices and 6 parts. It has the same soundengine + inputs - unless you're thinking about getting a recent model which will have the inputs and vocoder.)

(i also use a virus rack which uses the same sound engine as the virus C. The virus C has another oscilator, more voices, and more controllers. the sounds are pretty much the same- except the 1 osc and the C DOES have better filters with the new update. So since my main gripe with my virus is the filters, I really reccomend you to play them both.)

Message 6/20             19-Jan-04  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Broken Silence

okay super edit: Virus RACK which is what i have is B engine, not C. So all of that shit up there is speaking from B line. I said (i also use a virus rack which uses the same sound engine as the virus C---which ISN'T true. different sound engine.

Message 7/20             19-Jan-04  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

queasy00

Link?:  Link

virusC comes with the moog filte rupdate as well...

i have no idea about novation but access (i own a b) seem to be committed to costomer support... they're (or was at least) always updating their OS.

also... yea.. i actually think it's pretty easy to program... i'm sure they're both so long as you get the desktop or keyboard version.

-j
ps: again not sure about the supernova but the virusC Keyboard has aftertouch and all viruses have that modulation matrix which is handy for more tweakability.

Message 8/20             19-Jan-04  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

BluStudio

actually to be honest it would be fair to say i doubt you'd be disappointed with either - they both 'keepers' innit

blu

Message 9/20             20-Jan-04  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

sitar

I own a Supernova 1 for a few years now. I have always loved the thing. Virus is great too and tons of people swear by it. The Supernova has probably held the edge in giving you a big analogue-like sound and the Virus has probably held the edge in edgy sounds which has already been mentioned. You can select a "smooth" seamlees knob tweak with the Supernova like was mentioned about the Virus.

Message 10/20             20-Jan-04  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: Supernova 2 or Virus -C

Mel

Thanx what all of you are saying makes a lot of sense. Thanks! To be honest I own a Virus -c and

messed around with the supernova and loved its sound. Definately more liquid but not

like anything ive heard. I just wanted to know if i am being tempted by the "need more

gear monster"(you know what I mean), and not by practicality. I know the Supernova 2 is

discontinued, so I would have to get one second hand probably..no? What would be a reasonable price for

a used Supernova 2 (keyboard )in great cond?

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)