aaa analogue delay - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: analogue delay

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             13-Aug-98  @  03:04 PM   -   analogue delay

bill

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

if something is advertised as analogue delay does that automatically mean that it's a tape unit? or is there some nifty way of doing delay without being digital or tape-based that i haven't heard of?

i'm after a cheap cheap (<80ukp) delay unit - tempted by this weird boss pitch-shifter/delay guitar pedal but ideally i want something with knobs *and* a delay time readout.

the other thing was, i saw an advert for a reackmounted digital delay by JHS???? it was for about 50 quid i think - anyone ever heard of this?

will

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             13-Aug-98  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

Richie

Link?:  No link

I think that if a delay unit is solid state (transistors) then it can qualify as being analogue. These units were manufactured after tape delays but before digital, basically they were the next step in delay technology. I think most of the analogue delays that were based on transistors were built around the 70's and early 80's.
I have a unit made by JHS called a Mini Echotec it has line/instrument in, line out and footswitch. Controls for Delay time / Repeat / Mix and Level. And I have to say it's F***IN ACE!!!
I have owned a few of these 70's / 80's units in the past and they all have the same kind of muddy quality on the delay that gives the sound real character. They can usually be picked up dead cheap (10 to 40 ukp) depending on age and amount of controls.
You can get all those dubby repeats with one of these units not to mention load of other effects by using real time tweaking while you're tracks playing (try sweeping the repeats control quite quickly). Also they can be overdriven without getting any crappy digital clipping because erm, because they're not digital, hmmm.

I'd say buy it!

But then I love the little buggers.

Richie (ranting about delays).

Message 3/11             13-Aug-98  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

bill

hmmm. that's exactly what i wanted to hear - so now i reckon i've got delay, reverb and compression sewn up for under 150quid. the jhs advert did say digital delay though......

i'll investigate

will

Message 4/11             13-Aug-98  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

kilo

yup....... John Hornsby Skewes... (JHS)... they imported various cheap kit, including a line of truly awful guitars.........just check it isnt too noisey, but dont expect to little noise.... what i mean is, no obvious earth problems, loud buzzing or hums.... the analog delay has a hrsher more metalic sound in it's feedback phase with chorus fx etc.... the classic analog delay sound in feedback, is the jungle mc voice thing....where they feedback a vocal shout or phrase

Message 5/11             13-Aug-98  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

Richie

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, I can't get away with using mine in any quiet parts of a track.

Message 6/11             13-Aug-98  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

tomulcahy

I use an ARION SAD-1 (!) stompbox analogue delay. It's crap but cool, if you know what I mean.
These "solid state" analogue delays use "Bucket Brigade" technology, which uses capacitors chained to store the waveform as a voltage. It's like an analogue sampler. There's a really low sampling rate (6kHz?) which gives rise to that muddy/metallic aliasing quality. I love it!

Message 7/11             17-Aug-98  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

skul

yah, i got this old Digitech stompbox that's pretty cool. you wanna hear something really crazy? put an almost dead battery in the thing, so that it's still attempting to process the signal, but it can't really handle it. the delays will start detuning in this really random fashion. it's cool.

Message 8/11             17-Aug-98  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

J.

If you can't get hold of a cheap Roland space echo unit (re-201 f.instance), or a Korg tape unit. You should check out the ibanez ad-series (ad-9 stompbox, ad-100 small rack unit; there are some others, can't remember); and also the amdek analog delay (roland sub-brand), excellent stomp box series. I have an re-201, but it seems that they go for ca. £200-400, so I'd recommend the amdek analog delay which you should geta hold of for less than £100, possibly sub 500.

Message 9/11             17-Aug-98  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

Pongoid

If you wantto find a good solid analog delay unit, Ibanez makes a pedal called the AD-99. It's about 100US. I use the box that it was based on, the Ibanez AD-9, and it'd killer. You can open it up, and adjust the feedback and delay times, to the range you want, and really get some killer feedback effects. If your loaded, you could always try to find a Lexicon PCM70. They are expensive, and rare, but only (maybe) an Eventide compares. Both are very expensive, but the sound!!!! If you're on the cheap, check out the Ibanez. It works quite well.

Ape

Message 10/11             18-Aug-98  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: analogue delay

buggo

yeh, i have an ibanez analog delay pedal; don't know the model tho. it's not bad noisewise but then again i have never worked with a delay pedal that had a signal-to-noise ratio of any greater than about 1:1...he he...

Message 11/11             18-Aug-98  @  12:29 PM   -   RE: analogue delay

bill

i got this boss digital one in the end - i think its pretty old - rps10, half rackmount. it delays up to 800ms which is ok - annoying thing is that there isn't one delay time knob but one to select the range (50ms, 100ms, 200ms, 400ms, 800ms) and then another one called a multiplier that goes from *1 to *0.5 - so you select say 400ms and you can twiddle from 400*1 to 400*0.5 (basically 200ms to 400ms) before you have to change the range. and its noisy BUT

there's another "range" setting called INV which must be inverse because it reverses the delays - so if you take a completely wet mix it sounds like you're playing/singing backwards - haven't figured out what effect twiddling the other knobs has on this setting yet.

finally, its a pitchshifter as well - up or down an octave or anything in between - it sounds pretty weird on voice but sweep some drums through it and it starts to sound pretty good. and you can pitchshift with delay, and pitchshift with inverse delay.

not bad for 40quid. got a nanocompressor for 60 as well which seems to be pretty good

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)